simicrintz

Need a tech guy (remote access communicating/texting)

Gonna throw this out there and see if any of you guys are able to help me.  Totally not bike related but I see some posts from some pretty smart folks here so am optimistic!

I bought out my business partner a few weeks ago and while he was (and still is!) a PITA he did do some good stuff.  I run (and build and sell) trailers that I need to see and operate remotely.  We use a Moxa modem for service which ties to a touch screen in our trailers; I can duplicate everything on that screen remotely in this way.  Every now and then something occurs with the trailer which will trigger a shutdown to protect it, at which time a text goes out to the trailer operator so that they can see what has occurred and either try to fix it remotely or head back out to the trailer. Currently I have a couple of trailer operators that are unable to receive texts from their trailers and I am looking for a solution (and I am too dumb to know what it is!).  These texts also go out when a trailer has completed its job and has shut down normally.

If it helps, a typical path on a text (this example is my trailer) looks like this:  bounces+2189937-5ee5-7605358411=mms.att.net@sendgrid.net   This means absolutely nothing to me (other than my phone number is in it), so I am hoping that one of you have an idea and/or can help.  My trailer is currently using the same setup and I am hoping that the worst case scenario is that we could work backwards from mine to figure this out.  I am also open to suggestions that may be better than what we are currently using if you guys have any input there (I have been told about Raspberry Pi and am looking into that on my new trailer builds, so if something like that make sense and I can get that in the hands of the current trailer folks I am open to it.  Currently I have trailers in AZ, CA, NV and TX so there are few folks that I need to keep happy!).

Thank you guys.  I know this is kinda weird but I would appreciate any help (not looking for free; I am a paying customer if you can help!).  The fact that most all of you on here are relatively close by is also a benefit.  I appreciate any help!!

If you prefer (and I am not breaking board rules) you can call me at 760.535.8411 or email me at bruce@purewaterindustries.com

Send a PM to Strega and ask him to read this thread in case he misses it. He may be able to help or direct you to help.

I wonder if you could link an InReach satcom? They have plans with unlimited texting...

I have zero technical input, but are you the same guy that builds pools if so please pm me I have some questions.

3 hours ago, Czechsix said:

I wonder if you could link an InReach satcom? They have plans with unlimited texting...

We have been having the trailer operators get an unlimited texting plan (always a hassle since they always want to sell a phone) as this is really only a remote alarm.  We don't need anything real complicated; just simple texting with some controllability as to what the texts say ("feed error", "process completed", "normal shutdown" for example).  

I will look into the InReach, but will also need someone "techier" than me to setup and/or teach me so I know how to do it (maybe I should have learned than already, huh?!).

Is the gas turned on?....Oh wait....not a motorcycle. Maybe the Moxa had a software update that wasn't installed or was installed and changed some settings? Or maybe the device (or devices) that the Moxa interfaces with has a similar issue (update)? Maybe there are some support pages on the Moxa or the other device web pages that has some FAQ's or some other help pages?

24 minutes ago, amgems said:

Is the gas turned on?....Oh wait....not a motorcycle. Maybe the Moxa had a software update that wasn't installed or was installed and changed some settings? Or maybe the device (or devices) that the Moxa interfaces with has a similar issue (update)? Maybe there are some support pages on the Moxa or the other device web pages that has some FAQ's or some other help pages?

Now you are thinking like me!  I understand carburetors, lack of fuel and mechanical stuff; things that do stuff in the wind, over air waves and in tiny wires confuse the $^&* out of me!

I don't think it is a Moxa issue only because I can see and operate the trailers remotely still (I use VNC Viewer) and it is just the texting platform that is not working.  I suspect that there is some interface that communicates with the trailer and creates the texts when the messages appear at the trailer (I do recall a small notebook being used to possibly make this happen perhaps?).  I hate reading stuff where a person asks for advice and then ignores it so I will go to the Moxa page and check the FAQ's!  If nothing else I just might learn something!

Really appreciate all the thoughts and help guys.  One of the things I really like about forums where we all have a specific interest is that we all come from different walks of life and at some point may be able to help one another.  This is so out of my scope (but I will learn it so it does not happen again!) and I just am struggling to find the answers.  That said, I know that I am not the first to go through this and that the answer exists!!

I called a tech guy over from the tech department. He is researching whatever all that gobbledygook is that you wrote. It all made sense to him , he got all excited talking about relays and heat and... , he said he will get back with me.

Sign me confused

It appears you may be using SendGrid for email to SMS; the trailer's computer sends out an email and SendGrid converts it to a text message. Relevant link below, but you might also contact their support for troubleshooting assistance. 

https://sendgrid.com/docs/Classroom/Send/How_Emails_Are_Sent/email_to_sms.html

You guys rock!!!!  Thank you both (UC I like when a guy gets all excited!  I think you are on the right path here also, WF-really appreciate the link!).

So appreciative of all you guys trying to help me out!!

14 hours ago, simicrintz said:

We have been having the trailer operators get an unlimited texting plan (always a hassle since they always want to sell a phone) as this is really only a remote alarm.  We don't need anything real complicated; just simple texting with some controllability as to what the texts say ("feed error", "process completed", "normal shutdown" for example).  

I will look into the InReach, but will also need someone "techier" than me to setup and/or teach me so I know how to do it (maybe I should have learned than already, huh?!).

Yep, the InReach can be fun to set up. I primarily use ours when we're out of cellular coverage, which is often. Nice thing about the InReach is that it has an Android and Apple app, makes it much easier to type messages and set up the system.