Bagstr

Hanging Out in North Yellowstone NP - June 1, 2018

i-Gn39934-XL.jpg

Brink of Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River - I Never get tired of this Power

That’s amazing!

Im always fascinated seeing roaring rivers being a native San Diegan. 

i-HJdM7qb-XL.jpg

On the road between Tower-Roosevelt and Mammoth Hot Springs; looking into Montana

Weather looks delightful too.  Nice and cool and damp.

June 1st,  37F as I travelled south up Gallatin Canyon (Gallatin River) toward West Yellowstone

i-TMR6rwG-XL.jpg

Further up-stream

i-dWTDM6p-XL.jpg

Keep it coming brother...

In the Park, the traffic slowed and the landscapes opened into a tapestry of beauty.  This corner or the Park is less travelled but still busy. It rained and sleeted until 4:00 so I hoped all day it would keep the people in flip flops and shorts in their vans.

i-2xnNBLx-XL.jpg

The Madison River east of Madison Junction.  Behind me, across the road there were 30 or so Bison with their month old calves.  I had to keep moving, as there were places to go!

Next Up,  the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.   Imagine floating down this peacfull, calm river having just left the vast Yellowstone Lake.  The river quickens, narrows and ...

i-8wXbcpt-XL.jpg

i-SfznkLk-XL.jpg

i-4fL6jBg-XL.jpg

i-F2GNFkd-XL.jpg

i-QDVJpks-XL.jpg

i-Nk4qjQJ-XL.jpg

Journal note:  We lost Dave today and more importantly, his canoe and provisions. He was far too aggressive while exploring the outlet from Yellowstone Lake.   Beautiful views though; contemplating naming the water fall Dave's Drop.

i-zSLSDZ6-L.jpg

i-sh58bWq-XL.jpg

I haven't been up there since I was 13.  Brings back lots of fond memories.^_^

1968%20montana%203.jpg

i-SM9CpMH-L.jpg

Driving north over Dunraven Pass - Vast, Green low hills filled with water and wildlife. Raining and snow on June 1st this year; all the more fantastic! These shots are south of Tower Junction. Black Bear Heaven.

i-SMQDK5F-XL.jpg

i-r2thWLc-XL.jpg

i-XrTW6GC-XL.jpg

Again traveling north of Tower-Roosevelt on the Black Tail Plateau,  toward Mammoth Hot Springs and the North Entrance.

i-XJXhZHb-XL.jpg

The sun came out about 4:00.  It was like the lights came up at the Old Globe to reveal gorgeous staging. 

i-Kh63nCn-XL.jpg

This guy, was caught enjoying his ration of spring meadow. Although, he did look like he had a severe headache.

i-PJQ6tjk-XL.jpg

i-G9ZcLpG-XL.jpg

My little Lumix ZS40 does not have a dehumidifier function on the lense; causing some fuzzy focus on these shots. But hey, you work with the conditions you have.

If you make the Journey to the north area of the Park, I recommend a loop from West Yellowstone east along the Madison River, then head over to Canyon Village area. There you find the falls. Travel south a few miles to Hayden Valley and the Nez Perce Ford (Trail of Tears).  Backtrack and head north toward Dunraven Pass and on to the Tower-Roosevelt  Junction.  Please do not miss the out and back trip to Lamar Valley with great scenes of Hundreds of Bison and VAST landscapes. Back at Tower is the small unassuming Old Time Roosevelt Lodge with decent food in the old national park tradition. Drive north along the Black Tail Plateau and if you have time, take the two track one-way" Black Tail Drive" to get out of the traffic and into the forest. SUV able, maybe not a Civic. Exit north through the tourist town of Gardiner to Livingston. 

The best time to visit is the end of May and the first week of June. The Roosevelt Lodge just opened June 1st.

Dave

Mimi,  

I saw your horse, she is waiting for you!   B)     Love the picture.  They have horse drawn wagon rides to an Old West cookout in the forest based out of The Roosevelt Lodge.  They may have trail rides as well. 

Dave