Sign in to follow this  
MacDuncan

Windshield refraction issue

I put a new windshield on my bike.  I like it.  Except....   it is thicker than the original and at night, it picks up light from headlights and then bounces/refracts the light all of the way up to the upper edge of the screen just below eye level.  It is almost like I wanted to generate an ambient outline of the wind screen, but I like total dark inside the cockpit. I only want light out front from headlights when riding at night (meaning, the edge light is very distracting and fatiguing  for me).

To the point:  I have heard that some folks either (for the lower edge and then up about 6 inches inside and out) Paint the plexiglass, or Tape it, or Vinyl wrap, or contact paper??   Thoughts?

I Plasti-dipped the inside of my screen.  I love it. It creates a flat black background for the phone I will soon be moving up there as well as my Valentine.  The whole cockpit looks better with the larger black background.  Seeing the front of the fender or front wheel is a non issue, and if it's gnarly, I'm standing anyway.

With Plasti-dip, if you don't like it, just remove it.

black windscreen.jpg

Thanks Zubb, did you actually dip something, or is that a company name or style of paint that is rubber textured that you actually spray on like spray can paint?

And, playing devil's advocate here, if easily removable by peeling, doesn't the wind and vibration make it start peeling without you wanting it to..  :) ?   especially if put on the wind side and on the bottom edge?   

Comes in a spray can. It’s generally loved by all. Some folks paint their car with it. ???

its reported to be very durable. I would just  as soon suggest truck bed liner spray as my son had perfect performance from that on various parts. But that’s permanent. I’d say try this cause it can be removed (I’m told). Check YouTube. It’s everywhere. 

Let us know...

Plastidip is very durable but easily removed with citrus cleaner especially.