Jump to content
San Diego Adventure Riders
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recommended Posts

Just now, TexasDualler said:

The 25hp claim is a bogus claim. It’ll make power close to the CRFX numbers

Hey TD, show me this bogusness please. I would like to be schooled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Hey TD, show me this bogusness please. I would like to be schooled. 

“4. It Makes a Lot More Than 24 Horsepower

There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.”

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Consider yourself schooled. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TexasDualler said:

“4. It Makes a Lot More Than 24 Horsepower

There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.”

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Consider yourself schooled. :P

 

Okay, I feel smarter already! below is a link that shows that the HP rating of 25HP that is direct from Honda.

Key 2019 CRF450L Info (for those in a hurry):

  • 2019 CRF450L Price / MSRP: $10,399 (targeted)
  • 2019 CRF450L Release Date: September 2018
  • 2019 CRF450L Colors: Red
  • 2019 CRF450L Horsepower: 25 HP
  • 2019 CRF450L Torque: 23.6 ft/lb TQ
  • 2019 CRF450L Miles Per Gallon: TBA
  • 2019 CRF450L Seat Height: 37.1 inches
  • 2019 CRF450L Weight: 289 lbs (curb)


Edit / Update: Quite a few people have expressed concern on multiple forums, comment section below and on social media etc that the CRF450L’s horsepower rating on this page is a typo or incorrect. The horsepower rating below is not a typo on my end. The 2019 CRF450L horsepower and torque numbers are directly from Honda. Thanks as always for the feedback though guys, you keep me on my toes when it comes to information like this and at times I do make mistakes so having thousands of extra eyes on the information can be helpful.

Power = torque × revs ÷ 9548.8

Assuming the (peak) torque figure of 32nm is correct, to get 18.4kw we need to be at 5500rpm. Seems way too low to me for peak power.

Even in L configuration tuned for reliability and durability, it surely has to redline at at least 10,000rpm, with peak torque between 7 and 8000 and peak power between 8 and 9??

Of course torque output varies throughout the rev range but just at an initial glance the much-touted power and torque figures don't make sense.

 

I guess we will find out once these bikes are out of the crate. Below is the link. Honda may want to address this discrepancy since there are going to be so many reviews out there that will have ambiguous HP ratings. Just like anytime we get information on the internet, "one can find any info they are looking for to back up their claims." 

Here are a couple of links. 

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2019-honda-crf450l-review-specs-motorcycle-dual-sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CRF450L#cite_note-dualsport-2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the bike in person and spoke in person with factory Honda guy who’s ridden the bike. Makes power in mid 40s and wheelies out of the box. It’s a good looking bike. Anyone who gets one won’t be disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Just saw the bike in person and spoke in person with factory Honda guy who’s ridden the bike. Makes power in mid 40s and wheelies out of the box. It’s a good looking bike. Anyone who gets one won’t be disappointed 

Glad to hear this! It seemed crazy that a 450 would be detuned to such a low horsepower rating. Look forward to seeing one on the trail! Thanks TD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  1.  276 lbs with no fuel

  2.  2 gallon fuel tank

  3.  On-Road Design compromises

Let's face it; as we learned with the latest KTM dualsport design, the new bikes are not " Race Ready " out of the box. These bikes seem to me about half-way to the KTM 690 by design. Maybe this is a good thing to many buyers. I had a 690R and it was an excellent bike: good road manners and decent in the sand plus 3000 mi service interval.  How does in handle the Sand?  That is the make or break as to success as a true dualsport.  I wonder if they extended the service interval.

       B)

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/          600 mile oil change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husaberg fe570 about same.specs and crf450l and mine at 305lb wet and its significantly heavier and harder to ride in anza borrego than a new ktm 350 or 500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

My husaberg fe570 about same.specs and crf450l and mine at 305lb wet and its significantly heavier and harder to ride in anza borrego than a new ktm 350 or 500

And that is why I NEVER sit on a new bike like the KTM!  I have no idea how heavy my XR650 is or how hard it is to ride cuz I've never rode anything lighter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my buddies are on light orange bikes and I am often tempted to take one for a spin but I know what it will do to me.  I like to ride sweep by my nature so it is usually not a problem keeping up in most cases.  Occasionally they will try to mess with me and take a line that is a bit more challenging and (so far) I have always been able to hang with them.  Nothing against those new fangled light bikes but I still love my heavy pig!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×