PastaPilot

Honda Massively Expands the CRF Product Line

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Honda Broadens CRF Lineup with Expansive New-Model Launch
Largest performance off-road release yet includes new models for diverse applications

IRVINE, Calif. (May 23, 2018) – During a recent “CRF Collective” unveiling ceremony at Fox Racing headquarters, Honda announced its most far-reaching range of performance off-road models ever, expanding the group by three and significantly improving the four returning models. Leveraging the brand’s unparalleled experience in the manufacture of dirt bikes, Honda’s performance off-road lineup now includes CRF machines for riding applications including motocross, closed-course off-road, pure off-road, and even dual sport.

All seven models are based on the platforms of Honda’s revolutionary motocrossers, the CRF450R and CRF250R. Those two machines return for 2019 but with important updates, as does the closed-course off-road CRF450RX. In addition, Honda is offering a factory-replica version of its full-size motocrosser called the CRF450RWE (“Works Edition”). The trail-ready CRF450X is entirely new for 2019, and it’s joined by a road legal CRF450L that enables customers to connect trails via asphalt. Finally, Honda is also introducing an all-new CRF250RX closed-course off-road machine.

“Honda’s history in off-road is something we’re very proud of, from the ’70s-era Elsinores, through the XRs of the ’80s and ’90s, to the post-millennial CRF models,” said Lee Edmunds, American Honda’s Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications. “For 2019, it’s exciting to build on that reputation with the most expansive lineup of CRF performance off-road models ever offered, and to reach a wide range of enthusiasts
through motorcycles that are tailored to an equally diverse spectrum of riding environments. With this new lineup, there really is a CRF off-road performance machine for everyone.”

Read more  

2019_crf_lineup.png

CRF450L Dual Sport
The trails are calling, and the all-new road-legal CRF450L answers, expanding customers’ off-road possibilities by enabling access to the best riding trails, even when that means connecting them via asphalt roads. Street legality is achieved via features like LED lighting, mirrors, and a dedicated exhaust system. Equally at home in the woods or desert, the CRF450L has a wide-ratio six-speed transmission for maximum adaptability, while a lightweight, 2.0-gallon tank offers great range. Compared to the CRF450R motocrosser, crank mass is up for tractability in technical conditions, where a large-capacity radiator keeps things cool.

More pictures, video & specs on the 2019 Honda CRF450L

crf450l_left_side_square.png

crf450l_slide.png

CRF450RWE (Works Edition)
For the 2019 model year, you don’t have to be Ken Roczen to enjoy a CRF450R with factory enhancements, as the new CRF450RWE features a number of upgrades based on the bikes in the Team Honda HRC race shop. Rocketing to the top step of the podium through the use of a specially designed cylinder head with hand-polished ports, Yoshimura titanium slip-on muffler, and special ECU settings, this new model offers increased low- and mid-range torque. It also features the same graphics as Roczen’s No. 94 race bike, including a Throttle Jockey factory seat cover. Upgraded black D.I.D LT-X rims are included, along with black triple clamps and a gold RK chain. Titanium nitride-coated fork legs and an updated, titanium nitride-coated shock shaft increase traction and bump absorption.

2019_honda_crf450RWE.png

crf450rwe_slide.png

CRF450R
Already the industry’s top-selling motocrosser and the winner of the 2018 Daytona Supercross at the hands of MotoConcept’s Justin Brayton, the CRF450R receives a number of important updates for 2019. Better engine performance is achieved through a new combustion-chamber shape, as well as improved over-rev characteristics through a refined oil-management system. The frame and swingarm have been revised for optimized rigidity and weight reduction, while the braking system has been updated with a lightweight front brake caliper featuring a large-piston design. As a result of the weightsaving measures, the CRF450R is 1.76 lbs. lighter than its predecessor. For added performance and increased comfort, the 2019 model features new ECU settings, HRC launch control, a Renthal Fatbar® handlebar and adjustable handlebar position. Black rims and redesigned fork protectors are also new. This is how you convert the “Absolute Holeshot” into moto wins.

2019_honda_crf450r.png

crf450_slide.png

CRF450X
Having featured heavily in Honda-mounted teams winning 20 of the last 21 Baja 1000s, the CRF450X gets a complete overhaul for 2019, based on the modern CRF platform but with off-road-appropriate features. A true off-road machine that’s ready for racing or trail riding, this model features a headlight, taillight, and side stand, as well as an 18” rear wheel and lightweight 2.0-gallon fuel tank. For maximum versatility in challenging terrain, the CRF450X also features a 49mm Showa fork with dedicated settings, wideratio six-speed transmission, and higher crank mass than the CRF450R.

2019_honda_crf450x.png

crf450X_slide.png

CRF450RX
Currently campaigned by JCR Honda’s Trevor Bollinger and Trevor Stewart in GNCC and WORCS competition, respectively, the CRF450RX inherits the same performanceenhancing features of the 2019 CRF450R, including an updated cylinder head and refined oil-management system, while still featuring off-road-specific features like a 2.2gallon resin fuel tank, 18-inch rear wheel, and aluminum side stand. Suspension is specially tailored to the CRF450RX and uses low-friction fork oil. For added performance and increased comfort, the 2019 model features new ECU settings, HRC launch control, a Renthal Fatbar handlebar, and adjustable handlebar position. Black rims and redesigned fork protectors are also new.

2019_honda_crf450rx.png

CRF250RX
Based on Honda’s successful 250cc motocrosser, the all-new CRF250RX joins the CRF450RX as a weapon for closed-course off-road competitions throughout America. Equipped with a larger-capacity, 2.2-gallon resin fuel tank, 18-inch rear wheel, and aluminum side stand, the RX makes quick work of challenging situations, its dedicated suspension and ECU settings helping the rider work through even the toughest trail sections. As with the CRF250R, HRC launch control, a Renthal Fatbar handlebar, and black rims are standard.

2019_honda_crf250rx.jpg

crf250rx_slide.png

CRF250R
Newly introduced in 2018, the CRF250R has seen the GEICO Honda and TiLube Honda teams earn multiple wins in AMA Supercross and Arenacross competition, respectively, while also achieving success in amateur national races. For 2019, the model is revised with increased low-to-midrange engine performance for improved corner exiting. Inspired by the factory version, the Double Overhead Cam engine features updated cam profiles
and intake- and exhaust-port profiles, a 50mm shorter right exhaust pipe, and a 2mm smaller throttle body. Riders can select from three engine modes for ideal performance depending on conditions, while HRC launch control has been adopted for improved race-start performance. A Renthal Fatbar handlebar sits in a four-position-adjustable top clamp, while the braking system has been updated with a lighter, CRF450R-inspired caliper with larger piston for optimum braking performance. Black rims are standard.

2019_honda_crf250r.png

crf250r_slide.png

CRF150R / CRF150RB
Raced by Amsoil Honda hotshot Hunter Yoder on the amateur national circuit, Honda’s smallest motocross machine returns for 2019, featuring a Unicam four-stroke engine thatoffers a spread of ample, useable power and torque across the rev range. Suspension duties are handled by Showa, with a 37mm inverted fork and Pro-Link rear link system. In addition to the standard version, Honda offers the CRF150RB, which features larger
wheels, a taller seat, a longer swingarm, and more rear-suspension travel.

ABOUT AMERICAN HONDA
American Honda Motor Co., Inc., is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and Side-by-Sides in the U.S. American Honda’s Motorcycle Division conducts thesales, marketing and operational activities for these products through independent authorized Honda retail dealers. For more information on Honda products, go to powersports.honda.com.

6 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

but bank on a complete mod process to derestrict and lose a bunch of extra weight.

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

but bank on a complete mod process to derestrict and lose a bunch of extra weight.

Without a doubt. It's standard for any bike.

Another article has put it at 289# wet. I can already see a few items that could drop 10# but the "Urethane injection in swingarm to reduce road noise"  is unsprung weight that can't be removed (easily). I like the idea if it was road vibrations, but not a serious offroader if it has road bike design logic.

I do like that the clutch and stator covers come with protection, but not the  "Noise emissions minimized via covers on the left and right crank cases" reason. Makes me think thin and cheap plastic bits. 

That price is $500 more than a Beta 430RS and the Beta is 40 pounds lighter.

Given the condition of the motorcycle market in general, I applaud Honda for expanding the line! The 450L looks like a great start, maybe we'll get a lighter and more hardcore  "Johnny Campbell edition" in the future?

Don't know why, just never been a big fan of Hondas.

Yes, they've built some great machines...but there's just something about Honda cars and bikes.

WOW CRF450L, it's about time! Stoked Honda is making this happen. A titanium 2 gal gas tank, WTH, cool but that seems expensive and tiny.

Now, will they have a rally version at 300lbs in a couple years?... I can dream right?

20180519_172041.jpg

I did just notice that the offroad versions all have wide ratio 6 speeds. That COULD be very good, but the Hondas that I've owned had very poorly ratiod transmissions.

No 2-strokes? Laaammmmeee. Title got me all excited thinking maybe they'd take a page out of Yamaha's book and bring the smokers back.

Terrific!!   Good move Honda.   With KTM being held to the full spec after years of sliding by as a small producer, possibly the game will be a little closer. It would appear Beta is not being held to the same standard at this point.

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/hondas-2019-crf450l-crf450x-trail-trail-legal/

Per usual, Jimmy Lewis has the details down.  He states the X is 14lbs less weight with a different ECU. The L is equipped with a catalytic muffler!

"The way to view and understand the new Honda CRF450L is that it is a road going motorcycle that is very trail capable."

On 5/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, PastaPilot said:

image.thumb.png.27ee3ba4ec9d0e1db5b94fdc1e3f287d.png

This one will certainly weigh 300+ wet.

I thought the same, but was reading a few other sources and it was stated Honda INCLUDES a full tank of gas in their weight figure. Any truth to this?

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I thought the same, but was reading a few other sources and it was stated Honda INCLUDES a full tank of gas in their weight figure. Any truth to this?

All of the internet squawking is stating that the 289 pound stated weight is for a bike full of fuel ready to ride.  Most of the KTM ready to ride weights are coming in around 270, so the Honda is carrying some weight penalties. 

I can see a few easy to remove pounds, but it will still be heavier.  If it is close in power they may have something, but I'm going to wait to see how it plays out.  Honda laid a big turd with their CRF250L in my opinion, so I'm hoping they are closer to the mark this time.   Even though I'm not planning to buy one, competition is good for the entire industry and us (the consumers).

I like all of the "different" color schemes you can get them in... :o

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

A few years back all the Japanese manufactureres started using wet weights in their marketed specifications. That is with all fluids and fuel, topped off, ready to ride. Only the European manufacturers use dry weights. And nobody knows how dry that is. Some say it is completely dry, no gas, oil, coolant or brake fluid. But we do know the Japanese weights are indeed, ready to ride, gross weights. 

34 minutes ago, Dress4Less said:

I like all of the "different" color schemes you can get them in... :o

You can have it in any color as long as it's championship red. 

Looks like a nice bike. Pulling this thread off in another direction, I have really been checking out the Zero FX bikes lately. The range fits my riding style, incredible HP, and similar price/weight as the 450L. Obviously, range is the easiest obstacle to identify, but what else? Suspension design? 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:53 AM, tntmo said:

All of the internet squawking is stating that the 289 pound stated weight is for a bike full of fuel ready to ride.  Most of the KTM ready to ride weights are coming in around 270, so the Honda is carrying some weight penalties. 

I can see a few easy to remove pounds, but it will still be heavier.  If it is close in power they may have something, but I'm going to wait to see how it plays out.  Honda laid a big turd with their CRF250L in my opinion, so I'm hoping they are closer to the mark this time.   Even though I'm not planning to buy one, competition is good for the entire industry and us (the consumers).

Actually the 500EXC is 250# wet with 8 l's of fuel. That's 39# lighter for about the same price. The latest generation KTM's have proven to be very reliable. If you want link suspension you can get the Husquvarna  version for about the same weight\price. Just don't see the Honda being competitive in this market. Nice try but a miss.....

4 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Actually the 500EXC is 250# wet with 8 l's of fuel. That's 39# lighter for about the same price. The latest generation KTM's have proven to be very reliable. If you want link suspension you can get the Husquvarna  version for about the same weight\price. Just don't see the Honda being competitive in this market. Nice try but a miss.....

"268 pounds on the scale full of gas"

Read more at https://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2016-ktm-500exc/#2LD6HAgUdmyTFfDj.99

5 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

"268 pounds on the scale full of gas"

Read more at https://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2016-ktm-500exc/#2LD6HAgUdmyTFfDj.99

So what's the "real weight" of the CFR450L going to be? Going apples to apples (mfr's claimed weight) the 2019 KTM comes in at 240# wet + 13.7# fuel = 253.7#. That's a far cry from Honda's "claimed" weight of 289#. The 2019 EXC is 5.8# lighter than the 2016 model tested in the article. You can probably drop 6 - 7#'s  from the CRF by replacing the exhaust but it's still going to be north of 280#. I applaud Honda for giving it a go but the weight is just too high for a serious trail bike unless you're a big guy.

Honda claims the listed weight is full tank of gas ready to ride.  It’s all just talk until they hit the showroom floor.  Magazine tests should be soon.  I’m not a Honda fanboy or KTM hater, just like the fact that there is another player in the game.

I shot a bear this week that weighed in a 365 pounds wet.  Can anyone tell me how much he would weigh dry without fluids ????

Just now, hobiee said:

I shot a bear this week that weighed in a 365 pounds wet.  Can anyone tell me how much he would weigh dry without fluids ????

Bout 15.....^_^

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Honda claims the listed weight is full tank of gas ready to ride.  It’s all just talk until they hit the showroom floor.  Magazine tests should be soon.  I’m not a Honda fanboy or KTM hater, just like the fact that there is another player in the game.

Me too. Just wish they could have brought something a little more competitive. You can have lighter weight or lower price but not both I guess. Fuel is 6.2#\gal so subtract 12.4# from the crf spec for the wet no fuel weight.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, PastaPilot said:

A few years back all the Japanese manufactureres started using wet weights in their marketed specifications. That is with all fluids and fuel, topped off, ready to ride. Only the European manufacturers use dry weights and nobody outside the factory knows how dry that is. Some say it is completely dry. That means no gas, oil, coolant or brake fluid. What we do know is the Japanese weights are indeed, ready to ride, gross weights. 

My post from earlier in the thread is copied above. 

3 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

So what's the "real weight" of the CFR450L going to be? Going apples to apples (mfr's claimed weight) the 2019 KTM comes in at 240# wet + 13.7# fuel = 253.7#. That's a far cry from Honda's "claimed" weight of 289#. The 2019 EXC is 5.8# lighter than the 2016 model tested in the article. You can probably drop 6 - 7#'s  from the CRF by replacing the exhaust but it's still going to be north of 280#. I applaud Honda for giving it a go but the weight is just too high for a serious trail bike unless you're a big guy.

Listing unspecified dry weights on their website and promotional materials is a marketing tactic. KTM and the other manufacturers that do it sell a significant number of bikes because buyers think their new bike is 20+ pounds lighter than the Jspanese bike they rode for years. The reality is not that impressive. 

I imagine the real weight of the CRF will be within a few pounds of their claim of 289. That's a big number and nothing to brag about. 

Also you need to understand the logic of Japanese manufacturing. They pride themselves and on a global scale are expected to have the highest quality and longevity of their products. Bikeslut used to share a saying from the mt bike world. Strong, light, cheap; you can only have two. 

There is a thread on thumpertalk detailing a weight loss project of a WR450F that was quite interesting. The member owned a rainbow of bikes but was surprised at the WRs engineering. Where his KTM would have a bolt or tab or nothing, Yamaha had two bolts and a bracket. It's not light or even cheap and may not be necessary but it is strong. Engineered to last. Anyway, their was a lot of money into that project, titanium exhaust and such, but also cutting out or removing parts got that WR down to around 240 pounds wet. About a 25 pound weight reduction. 

My YZ started life at 245# wet, but with the bigger tank, tires, mousses, radiators, hand and frame guards, lights, etc is now at 260-265 pounds. Could be less but I didn't buy the lightest parts available. 

1 minute ago, PastaPilot said:

Listing unspecified dry weights on their website and promotional materials is a marketing tactic. KTM and the other manufacturers that do it sell a significant number of bikes because buyers think their new bike is 20+ pounds lighter than the Jspanese bike they rode for years. The reality is not that impressive. 

I am impressed with my FE501.  Claimed a curb weight of just over 244.  That's 12 pounds lighter than my old TE450.  May not seem like much, but that and improved geometry and center of gravity, make the new bike seem like a little potato chip by comparison.:wub:

My 18 500exc feels 50 pounds lighter than my 15 WR450 when your picking it up in a bad spot.

Probably closer to 25.

Wouldn't want to pick up a 300 pound bike in some of the spots I've been stuck in