I need a new DOT Rear Knobby for KTM 350

Rocks, sand, hard pack, don't care much about street performance.

What are you running?

I know, I know, tire thread...sorry...Just want to see what the latest offerings are, and what people are using and happy/unhappy with. Thanks !

I run the Dunlop D606's and have been happy with them.  Usually get about 1,700-2,000 miles  out of them.  I do cup the front (and don't know why) and not sure if the other tires do the same.  My riding tends to be (currently) about 80% street and 20% dirt (really need to change that!).

My .02, FWIW....

Maxxis desert it who cares about dot you won't get checked 

I've been pretty impressed with the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II rear, especially for the price. 

I have used the Desert IT many times and I have no complaints.

I will be trying A trials hybrid now . It is DOT.

I did the Pirelli MT 43 and it was awesome for just about everything except sand - it just couldn't move enough material to move the bike forward the way I wanted.   D

I ended up replacing that tire early for a Motoz Mountain Gummy Hybrid and went tubliss.     I have been loving this combo - but I am still looking.   I may try the MotoZ Arena Hybrid Gummy BFM Tire next just to move more sand - then maybe do something more traditional.

Just installed another Desert IT ( Maxxis )  Nylon=Tough. Run it until the round profile goes flat, about 1400 miles.  You can run it much longer you don't mind a square profile; 10mm remaining.

The MT43 for me, was a great tire straight ahead over rocky loose garbage.  I found it un-stable when you throw the bars and slide around a corner. Lost it several times as the rear disappeared. 

There is some version of the Kenda Brand that people like for cost and durability.

Bags

6 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Maxxis desert it who cares about dot you won't get checked 

I've been checked on at least 4 occasions. ABDSP rangers can and WILL check.

15 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

I found it un-stable when you throw the bars and slide around a corner.

Appears someone has hacked Dave's account.

Motoz Xtreme Hybrid is DOT.  I put a 120/100x18 on my XR and it just fits.  However, they also make a 110/100x18.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/65463/Motoz-Xtreme-Hybrid-Tire

I guess the gummy version is softer if you don't care about street wear:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/77217/Motoz-Xtreme-Hybrid-Gummy-BFM-Tire

I've been running the Kenda Equalibrium hybrid tire. It's a bit less (~$75) than than the Motoz.  It seems to do well in sand for a hybrid and much better than the MT43. Overall I'm pretty happy with it other than it does wear pretty quickly. I'm on my second one and it looks like about 1000 miles and it's toast. It is DOT rated.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/54773/Kenda-Equilibrium-Trials-%26-Enduro-Hybrid-Tire

So what actually happens if you get checked and do not have a DOT tire?  

Just now, simicrintz said:

So what actually happens if you get checked and do not have a DOT tire?  

They don’t let you ride into the park, or if you’re in it, they ask you to leave. 

Never seen a citation. 

Thanks, Paul.  I've always run them (just don't need the hassle) but never knew what could happen.  I run red dye diesel in my work trailers with generators and hear all the stories about guys running red dye on the road (another thing I haven't done just cuz i don't need the hassle) without any problems.  

Moral of (my) story: Guess I'll continue to buy DOT tires and not run red dye in my truck.  So that I don't seem like a total puss to you guys though, I am going to go cut all the mattress warning labels off my mattresses now (under penalty of law)!

6 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Just installed another Desert IT ( Maxxis )  Nylon=Tough. Run it until the round profile goes flat, about 1400 miles.  You can run it much longer you don't mind a square profile; 10mm remaining.

The MT43 for me, was a great tire straight ahead over rocky loose garbage.  I found it un-stable when you throw the bars and slide around a corner. Lost it several times as the rear disappeared. 

There is some version of the Kenda Brand that people like for cost and durability.

Bags

Can't go wrong with the Maxxis Desert IT! I search for grip in sand and have found it in this tire. I like the 110 width better that the 120 for quicker cornering control. 120's a better choice for hill climbs though.

6 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Appears someone has hacked Dave's account.

That's funny!

Kendra Parker DT -  a DOT tire , big tall knobs

gets 1100-1200 miles , 72 bucks, chaparell online, very predictable great in sand or rocks, a  90 dirt / 10 street tire.

Amgems,

See what you have started. People making personal comments :o.    Are you getting that bike tuned up for all that free time coming your way?

Thanks Kyle, I will have to try that after I get out of jail for running the Maxxis.

Thanks Guys, I've been running Desert IT for a long time. They are very good all around. I'll be riding This http://www.colorado2day.com/home/images/Flyer 2018 Xroads Final.pdf and they specifically say ya gotta have DOT tires.

I have heard of people getting checked. Some in Anza B State Park, Some at lake Isabella.  In Paul's case he gets checked more than others because he is a known trouble maker.

15 minutes ago, amgems said:

In Paul's case he gets checked more than others because he is a known trouble maker.

I’m a Victim of profiling. 

15 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Thanks, Paul.  I've always run them (just don't need the hassle) but never knew what could happen.  I run red dye diesel in my work trailers with generators and hear all the stories about guys running red dye on the road (another thing I haven't done just cuz i don't need the hassle) without any problems.  

Moral of (my) story: Guess I'll continue to buy DOT tires and not run red dye in my truck.  So that I don't seem like a total puss to you guys though, I am going to go cut all the mattress warning labels off my mattresses now (under penalty of law)!

Hey Bruce, the winds out in Borrego lately have been making it necessary to clean my pool way more often than I want to! Dose PST Pool Parts offer an AI pool boy yet? 

On 5/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, Wintyfresh said:

I've been pretty impressed with the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II rear, especially for the price. 

Been running this on my 500. Definitely a good tire in the sand; much better in the sand then the equilibrium and lasts longer too.

4 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Hey Bruce, the winds out in Borrego lately have been making it necessary to clean my pool way more often than I want to! Dose PST Pool Parts offer an AI pool boy yet? 

We tried, but they kept falling in the pool, so we switched to female pool cleaners.  Problem is there are no pictures (kind of like that other thread on here with women bikers with nice lines!)!  The female cleaners are more reliable and smell better :)