Just guessing, but sounds like maybe they rushed the product to market for the Summer season with out sufficient testing. They are now competing with InReach. Not a good practice for a company that produces devices that lives may depend on. I used to be involved in a Design Verification Testing team (Back when I was working :lol:). My boss would always say "We need to break this thing before the customer breaks it". Bad news for any product to fail like this in the consumers hands.

Thanks for the updates.

My local rep has been somewhat hesitant in getting me one for evaluation and testing. Presumably due to the aforementioned issues. He assures me it's due to a backlog in production.

" Back when I was working "    Don't you like that phrase?      Can't wait for good weather;  we will have some fun!

I got an email stating that there is a firmware update, looks like it addresses the issues that I was having.  It worked ok after the one time it froze up, but it did act as if it was having a low battery issue once after that.   The messenger part of it was nice when I made camp and had no signal.

CAA1D411-AD30-4FC4-B707-AD78260CDAAD.png

Just got this price increase notification:

"

Hello Subscriber,

This email is to inform you of upcoming changes to your SPOT service plan(s):

We are continuously making network upgrades to ensure the best possible service for our SPOT customers. To help fund these efforts now and in the future, upon renewal a Network Maintenance Fee will be implemented on all SPOT subscriptions: Monthly $2.49/MO; Annual $24.99/YR; 2 Year $49.99/2YR."

Coincidentally, it's the last day of that Costco inreach sale. I think it might be time for me to consider jumping over to a Garmin.

That’s a great price at Costco, $230.

I only saw one other place that had it under $300 at $283.

Been using the new InReach SE+ from Costco for two weeks now almost daily. Works great no complaints. That said my Delores InReach served me well with no issues the past couple of years. $230 at Costco is a killer price. Nowhere else comes close. I’m thinking that Garmin will stop selling the SE+ soon as they now have the Mini. Garmin recently sent me a questionnaire and one of the questions asked is would a dedicated cell number be of interest. Hoping they add that feature in the near future. Other than that it does what it’s supposed to do and very reliably.

The SPOT subscription price hikes are legendary.

Do you Delorme / Garmin / InReach guys see the same thing from your service provider?

I have been talking to spot about their plans and I have been comparing. To me it seems they are running very close in price. They both have the flex plans so the service can be shut down if not in use.  I dont know if one device works better than the other. Spot does have an additional SARS insurance that seems good. 

Inreach does have the mini out. 

I am curious if the Spot X can communicate with the InReach?

Spot X can send text messages to any phone or email address.  After the firmware update, mine has been flawless.  Got it with me for a ride to Colorado right now.