See..... this is why I hang out here. I learn something new every time I log on. I didn't know that cool feature was available. Thanks for letting us know about this !

There must be a reason folks keep upgrading their devices.  I'm looking for something with 3 basic functions.  1) wifey can follow my progress online.  2) when no cell signal is available, the button that says "don't worry baby, I'm just fine".  3) HELP!

Are SPOT users finding that they really want more than this?  

Zubb,

This two way texting thing, for my part, is driven by #3 HELP.  Once you push that SOS / 911 button,  the Search and Rescue has no option but to operate with the idea that you life is in danger.  The Standard Spot has a second  Help button that you can customize with something like " Hey I have a mechanical, please send Zubb to collect me".  The point is that they are static message which may or not may give you help team the info they need.

The ability to text anyone you have a number for details is a game changer. I need an 18" tube, gas or I'm bleeding out here send a chopper.  I made my decision based on monthly cost not purchase price.  What is the monthly rate for basic two way texting, not that different.  About $20

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

There must be a reason folks keep upgrading their devices.  I'm looking for something with 3 basic functions.  1) wifey can follow my progress online.  2) when no cell signal is available, the button that says "don't worry baby, I'm just fine".  3) HELP!

Are SPOT users finding that they really want more than this?  

Hey Zubb, I agree with Bags, it would be nice to be able to be precise with what needs you might want those whom are coming to give assistance to know. For the three features that you mentioned the Spot3 will fill the bill; other than the 911 callout feature, the Spot3 covers the "hey guys I'm not hurt bad enough for a medivac" or "I'm broke down beyond what I can repair on the trail." For those that are smart, they will have a tube, tools, and the proper amount of gas for the ride that they planned; probably some JB weld and baling wire, maybe duct tape too. So when the bike needs to be towed or recovered up the cliff that it flew over the Spot3 has you covered. I have mine set to send a message (other than the I'm Okay Message) that lets my sweetie know that I'm fine, it's just I will be back later that I said. As I mentioned earlier, I like the feature that if I'm inactive for an hour, my wife can call those on my contact list and a ranger to please come to my last known position. For $0.80 a day this works for me just fine. I ride the Anza Borrego Desert State Park alone a lot, and it's interesting to me that it feels like I have a riding buddy along with me. I just don't have to deal with the dust. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Mark . I have the Gen  3 and I did not have the movement alert enabled . Now I do.

2 hours ago, CVRick said:

Thanks Mark . I have the Gen  3 and I did not have the movement alert enabled . Now I do.

Your welcome Rick! I'm glad that you now have this helpful feature going! 

For my "oh crap! I need help" button (not the sos), I have a link in the message that goes to a free guestbook type deal. The idea behind it is that since that alert goes to a couple of different people, some who don't know each other, they can go there and organize a rescue plan. 

I actually had to use it once last year when I wadded and compression fractured my back. My friends communicated with each other and the nearest one was en route to me when my wife found out medevac was on its way and called off my own personal rescue party.

The message reads something "please send help, it's not life or death but I need to get out of here asap. Go here #the link# to organize".

Great insight / information guys.

Seems like every time I turn around there's another 'must have' widget trying to pry a wad of C-notes out of my hands....

I’m thinking the Spot X is going to be the way to go for me.  Messages without cell coverage makes sense, no excuses for me anymore!

Picked up a Spot X at REI today.  Will get the service set up and see what it’s all about.

2AAA049F-2CE5-4BD5-9714-0F818F3F4EF7.jpeg

Just now, tntmo said:

Picked up a Spot X at REI today.  Will get the service set up and see what it’s all about.

2AAA049F-2CE5-4BD5-9714-0F818F3F4EF7.jpeg

Can you use the 20% coupon on it?

I don’t know?  Wish I had one!

The 20% usually excludes electronics/gps,  If you are a member, you get an annual dividend of 10%.  I know, I know - I am bending there perspective by telling them I use their stuff to mot keep trails.  They stopped taking my picture every time I walk in.

TNT, 

Now we can have texting races in the Dez!

Yeah, I bought it there because I had $30 in dividends.  

Now that I have this, guess I am heading North soon!

Tntmo just bought the Spot X he is using for a trip up North.  He has already reported that the battery has died. That is not good!

I got it working again, but I don’t trust it now.

TnTmo,

https://www.rei.com/blog/news/which-satellite-messenger-should-you-get#plan

According to this blog comparison, the X has a 240 hr battery life between charging.  Can you esplain what your situation was?  Was the device fully charged. Did you re-charge within the time frame? Does the display show battery level?

Bagstr

P.S.   While camping, I am constantly charging phone, camera etc. off the bike battery.

I used it for a few weeks before I left, battery lasted a week or more, not running the tracking.

It worked well on day one of my trip.  At lunch on the second day, I noticed the screen was flickering with snow/lines.  Power button wouldn’t shut it off.  I plugged it into my charger, it finally went to the off/charge screen.  

When I powered it on, it said battery level below 20% and then shut off after a few seconds of being unplugged.  I had it on the charger all day long and it did the same thing .  

Then later at night it miraculously works, showing about 80% charged..right where it would be if no issues occurred.

No issues yesterday, working this morning...but what if it craps out when I really need it?

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Check battery connections?

Internal battery, need a tiny Torx bit to check it.  I don’t have one with me 

tntmo, have you tried contacting SpotX tech support?  Hopefully this was just a one time deal. 

It died randomly today again. Was showing all but one bar....then next time I looked it was dead.  No idea how long it wasn’t tracking.  I’m charging it in my tent now.  I’m not impressed.

Wow...Not a good start for something that you need to rely on in an emergency.

Sorry to hear this. Evidently you got a Beta batch, doing field test with the public. Little consolation that they will replace the the unit when it could take time to sort the problem.  Maybe return and refund $$ .

Reviews on the REI site are trending negative -  2.5 stars average out of 16 reports.  

One owner states that Firmware Updates help with some issues. He has done one and Customer Support says more are coming, as of 5 days ago.

I know you are on the road, but if you get to a place where you can update firmware, you may get some relief.

Good Luck!