trcooperone

Computer and/or GPS

Now that I have my husky tc450 I am in need of a computer and/or GPS

The bike does not have a speedo/computer, only an hour meter.

What unit do you suggest that is compatible with my bike?

GPS unit as well?

I was looking into the voyager as a all it one unit but is probably more than I need.

What are you suggestions, and budget conscious option are always ideal!

The Trail Tech Vapor is a pretty popular setup for a speedometer/gauge for bikes that don't have one from the factory.  I've had a few of them, some come with different options like tachometer, oil pressure, water temp, etc.  They are fairly easy to install, need to run a few sensors.  

I'm not a GPS savvy guy, so I'm sure someone will be along to help with that.

I initially installed a vapor on my bike since I didn't have a speedo/odometer. I recently added a Garmin gps and now it's a bit redundant. If you aren't too concerned with the additional engine sensors I would go with a gps, especially if your planning on getting a gps in the future anyway.

I don't necessarily have a preference, If I had a gps that had my speed on it I guess I could do just the gps.  I am open to all options!

There's an excellent thread I'm following on advrider http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/ all about using android based phones. If I didn't already have a Montana, I'd probably go this route. It's not 100% perfect, but there are a LOT of advantages to considering newer technology.

The thread is LONG and dig in deep before asking questions on that thread- somebody else has probably already asked...

I have the Montana 610. Tough unit, display is easy to see, tons of memory for loading lots of tracks etc. The touch screen is a nice feature, but some times I'll bump it and it will go off into some weird mode. But it is easy to get back to the map or where ever you need it to be with one or two taps. That is my only gripe and that is a pretty minor inconvenience. I also use it as my speedo, because of the way I have it mounted it blocks the view of the bikes speedo/odo a bit. I like this thing.

Had a 60csx it was bulletproof as well. Small display. But a nice GPS. Still some used units out there for sale.

Lots of folks are doing damn near everything a GPS will do with phones now. I tried it a while back and it worked great except for one thing that killed it for me....I could not see the phone in the bright sun. Probably because it was an older phone, and it looks like that is not a big issue now with some of these new phones. A lot cheaper than most good GPS units.

I had an old Voyager unit once. It was OK...but just OK. Small black and white display was my biggest complaint. This was a long time ago, and maybe they are better now.

I have no direct experience, but people like the 78 too. They are a little cheaper that the Montana.

Just now, amgems said:

Tough unit, display is easy to see, [...] I also use it as my Speedo,

Um- as your Speedo?

Unknown.jpeg

??

‘Now you Guys are off topic!!  Need to go ride for awhile.