alyeska

The Wave

9 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I'm thinking Mark is on to something here!

Right? Pretty woman, GSA running out of gas... How far does the reserve go? Probably further than my KTM can go on a full tank!

Thats pretty dang funny.

Yes, I actually did run out (broken fuel gauge).  But I figured 8 gals x 40mpg = 320 miles and I was safe.  Not so much.  Luckily I had thrown the 2 (empty) fuel bottles in my trunk to take up to DanRider that day so i had containers handy for my walk of shame.  The pic is from when she dropped me off at the bike.  She picked me up walking down Navajo, helmet in hand.  She just said this don't look right.  Need a ride?  And then the ol' scooter groaned as I climbed on the back.  Mustang Sally was my gas-angel that day.

Riders taking care of riders.  Good stuff.  

The questions is . . . would you pull over to help a Harley rider?  Hell, it's bad enough just figuring out whether to wave or not.

4 hours ago, Zubb said:

Thats pretty dang funny.

Yes, I actually did run out (broken fuel gauge).  But I figured 8 gals x 40mpg = 320 miles and I was safe.  Not so much.  Luckily I had thrown the 2 (empty) fuel bottles in my trunk to take up to DanRider that day so i had containers handy for my walk of shame.  The pic is from when she dropped me off at the bike.  She picked me up walking down Navajo, helmet in hand.  She just said this don't look right.  Need a ride?  And then the ol' scooter groaned as I climbed on the back.  Mustang Sally was my gas-angel that day.

Riders taking care of riders.  Good stuff.  

The questions is . . . would you pull over to help a Harley rider?  Hell, it's bad enough just figuring out whether to wave or not.

Great way to show other riders they have back-up just riding by! I have given the "questioning okay sign" numerous times to riders on the side of the road, usually receive a nod and an "okay sign back." Once down in Key West, I did this (to a Harley rider) and he gave the please help sign. I went to the nearest gas station and bought a can with some gas for him. Very appreciative and he left the can on the side of the road for the next angel experience to happen. Great story Zubb! Thanks!

So, continuing along in the same spirit here, I lost my clutch yesterday when downshifting in Mission Valley.  Pull the lever... almost nothing there.  So I scurried on down the freeway, made the Jackson exit in La mesa, hit the light at La Mesa Blvd green (whew!) but headed into a schools-out traffic jam at Lemon.  Mentally calculating the current traffic patterns, number of stop signs and left turns ahead based on my rapidly upcoming 3 options.... I turned right (bad choice), split some neighborhood traffic (rude of me) and decided I was going to die soon if I didn't just give up and shut it all down.  Fortunately I was about a half mile from home.  Wifey picked me up so I could return in the evening when traffic was non-existent and ride the bucking bull home with less risk.

The point being though .... 2 different HD riders made sure I was OK before continuing on.  And zero riders went by without checking on me.

It's good to be us.

But did you wave?