MauleR

Baja Noob Ride 2.0

Looking to do a 2 or 3 day ride down to Baja in late May or early June (ala 

). This would not be the typical guided noob ride where someone knows what they are doing, this would be one noob inviting other noobs to go along and everyone figuring it out along the way. Ideally a small group on small-ish bikes ( I'm on a xr650r) crossing Tecate mid-week and mostly dirt, nothing is set in stone. If anyone is interested please pm me. 

Brian 

I can't make this ride, but MauleR made it out to a morning Borrego Springs ride a couple months ago and is a stand-up guy. Great rider, pleasant in a group.

If I had the time, I would, but you should!

Thanks for the kind words Paul! On the handful of rides I've been on with people from this site everyone has been great!

I'm interested but not sure I can make that time frame. Got a lot going on right around then.

I'm super tentatively penciling in May 22-24 for this trip depending on if it works for others. I'm hoping to make it down a few times this year so if you can't make this one maybe you can make it another time!

Glad to hear that you have plans for more trips... I'll definitely be in on one or more of them!

Like Brian says no electronic maps or GPS on this ride. A trip of your lifetime!! 

Haha no I actually just picked up a new gps so we will have that going for us... if I can figure it out:blink:

Just a quick ride report, big thanks to Van for making the trip with me! We ended up going a week earlier than planned to avoid the Baja 500 pre-running. 

Day 1: We met up in Tecate at 730am, I rode from my house in Julian and Van left his truck in a lot in Tecate. We both had our FMMs printed out and were able to get them stamped without any wait or drama. We rode highway 2 east until we picked up the compadre trail southbound past rancho Santa Veronica, then it was pretty much dirt the rest of the day. Lunch in Ojos Negros then continuing on towards the coast. Gas in Santo Tomas after a fun side route that dropped us out to Uruapan. We made it to the coast earlier than expected and spent a little time trying to find a way down to the beach however it appears that some mysterious Danish cult has a gigantic compound south of punta San Jose that blocks beach access. We continued on South and soon found ourselves at Coyote Cal's where we stayed for the night.

20180515_142016_HDR.jpg

20180515_150356.jpg

20180515_161256_HDR.jpg

Day 2:  After the "dirt rider" breakfast at Cal's, we started off down the coast. We soon picked up an old Baja race course that consisted of what felt like miles of giant whoops. We finally got out of the whoops and started heading east through where we filled up with gas. Continuing eastbound we dropped through a  large agricultural area and began following a river bed where we encountered several water crossings. We made it to Rancho El Coyote where we stopped for lunch and met a local named Micheal who told us of a interesting trail we could take that would lead us from the Meling ranch back up to the back side of Mike's sky ranch. After lunch we made our way down to Meling ranch just to check it out. We then made our we eastbound on the observatory road to find the trail that Micheal had told us about. We eventually found the entrance and it proved to be a interesting route with a very challenging Hill climb. We arrived at Mike's around 430 and had the whole place to ourselves for the night. 

GOPR2752.JPG

GOPR2778.JPG

20180516_113055.jpg

20180516_163213_HDR.jpg

Day 3: Breakfast at Mike's then on to Valley Trinidad for fuel. After fuel we jumped on highway 3 for a few minutes before breaking off to the east onto this year's Baja 500 course heading northbound. We made it up to the sawmill where we stopped for lunch, then on to Laguna Hansen. Shortly after Laguna Hansen we had our first small problem of the trip when Van picked up a large nail in his rear tire. Van quickly had the tube swapped out and we continued on our way back to the compadre trail that would lead us back up the highway 2 and back into Tecate. No line to get back into the US and we got back to find that Vans truck was still there and in good shape! All in all it was a great trip, approximately 460 miles from Tecate back to Tecate. Couldn't have asked for a better ride partner, thanks again Van!

20180515_094028.jpg

20180517_104333_HDR.jpg

20180517_135729_HDR.jpg

That looks awesome.  Wish I could have made it!

You wing it or get someone's tracks? B)

Half and half, I made some tracks before we left that we followed and we also used some from the ones that you gave to Van.

I'm already thinking about the next trip down! Good times, cheap beer and tacos, and dirt for days!

Very nice Van and MauleR! Looked fun!