Thinking about a big bike ride over to the Devil's Highway in the near future. Maybe ride the Mogollon Rim-dirt? Maybe ride Mogollon NM to the divide-dirt(still trying to figure out if I have the range for this one)? Apache Trail on the way back. Lots of options for highly rated twisty roads and scenic dirt routes. The Devil's Highway is a 100 mile stretch with roughly 400-500 (so I hear) turns, a lot of them really tight 1st and 2nd gear stuff down south. 4 days is making sense to me especially since it takes half of a day each to get over there and return. The routes that I come up with look like about 10 hours moving each day. Likely camping every night. Leave Friday, return Monday. Currently considering 5/4, 5/18 and 6/1 for departure dates. Post if you would be interested in coming along.

This is on my bucket list.  Just don't know if I can get the time away.  I'll be watching this one.

Let's talk. I prefer less riding time and 1-2 more day. i can leave every day, or come back later. Leaving for Europe on 5/26.

Kelly, get a couple of days off and move this to your 'places not too far from San Diego that I like to ride' list. The 191 may have you pondering if it is possible to have too many turns on a ride.

Udo, I might be able to do 5 days. That would make the trip more relaxed. 1st and last days would still need to be on the order of 9 hours moving time to camp at elevation where it's cool. 

Thanks for the nudge. Let’s nail the date down and I’ll see if I can clear the decks. 

Oh, and... no such thing as too many turns. But this road has always intrigued me as it looks like it could be far better than ‘the dragon’.  

5/4 would fit me best, than I have time to recover for the Europe trip.

Subscribed....I can dream can't I.

5/4 is too close for me but don’t let that stop you  guys. I have a lot of pieces to move on the calendar to go later in May. 

2 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

https://goo.gl/maps/oUWYQGqhhaB2  In 5-6 days.

let's go.

That's a 3 day ride ... on a moped! I'll try to post what I had in mind by tomorrow. Also just found out that I have some important training at work the 2nd week of May which pushes me out to the 18th.

LB, that gives you more time to get your bike ready.

My bike is ready. It's work and family that typically puts the brakes on my dreams....:heh:

This is the basic route I was planning to do. It's a bit ambitious but pretty typical of what I do on solo rides. From a couple of hours before Prescott on day 1 until clearing Apache Trail the vast majority of this route is the highest rated street and dirt on Butler Maps. There are many campsites and plenty of options to add or lose time. I have ridden almost all of this except for the NM stuff. An America the Beautiful pass and AZ land pass are good things to have for this trip.

5ae1672b8cea1_Day1(1024x342).thumb.jpg.a17099a6f06f376635f882f936815274.jpg

Day1 Camp in one of the Rim sites

5ae1672ced8cd_Day2(879x547).jpg.7d21cade418a69bd4d168cb1081e1227.jpg

Day2 Taking the dirt out of Mogollon means 240 miles between gas.

5ae167328ddc1_Day3(1024x786).thumb.jpg.ebc0fceef55d329eff55ca7953fb3a24.jpg

Day3 The day with too many curves

5ae16738464e4_Day4(1024x428).thumb.jpg.7e1681a14dd62c52c0dca636e43803c5.jpg

Day4

Looks like I will leave next week on this trip, 5-6 days. I will go little more north Route 66, Prime, stay south of LV and than cut over to east and south like you layout. Possible leaving Thursday if I got my replacement light in. Camping 100%, NO Freeway.

23 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Looks like I will leave next week on this trip, 5-6 days. I will go little more north Route 66, Prime, stay south of LV and than cut over to east and south like you layout. Possible leaving Thursday if I got my replacement light in. Camping 100%, NO Freeway.

Wish I could make next week. Have a great/safe ride!

This looks like a fantastic route.  I'm going to have to pass though as I am really struggling to take the time off needed.

Hope you get to take some pics and give us a full report.