Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Los Ancianos Trail ride

Surprised they posted still 40 spots available, me blake and jacob will be there

I don't think we will be over in the brown jug section (that's north west of compadre) we usually loop from compadre to the north down the escarpment then back up and stay mostly east of the compadre road. That has been the usual format.

Freaking Brown jug been up and down that trail numerous times with no issue......so at the enduro we went up and again I cleaned that little goofy first section got half way up slammed a big rock and went off to the left and looped......this is where buddy Reed left me behind and after catching back up to him I messed up on another semi familiar climb and he he finally lost me for good!! Oh but that is another story.  This is the trail ride not as gnarly as the enduro. come down they always have bailouts to the compadre road along way to take you back to the ranch area, as well as hard and easy routes at certain areas.

Here is Georges viddy from the trail ride 2914 version...wet one, we were all there.......but I was wrist casted so no ride just eat drink and be merry. 

I'm in. Hopefully I can hook up with some of you guys-don't have my boy going with me this time.

I lost track but Im pretty sure this is the last LAMC Trail ride, I see LAMC arrows.

Another handful of us are in as well...  Ken S., 1K Step (Chad P.), Courtney (not SDAR), OB Steve and myself (the other Chad).

Looking forward to this ride with much anticipation!  I've been invited down a number of years now and this is the first year it has worked out.

glad to hear a good contingent of sdar crew are doing this ride, it never disappoints. and the entire fiesta is great with the bar going and plenty of bbq food. best way to fly is to go afternoon before ride then stay over evening of the ride. I will most likely head down on Saturday morn ride drink beer and eat then stay over.

18 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

glad to hear a good contingent of sdar crew are doing this ride, it never disappoints. and the entire fiesta is great with the bar going and plenty of bbq food. best way to fly is to go afternoon before ride then stay over evening of the ride. I will most likely head down on Saturday morn ride drink beer and eat then stay over.

We'd be able to make it to the start in time if we go down in the morning?

On 4/16/2018 at 10:08 PM, Bagstr said:

Not something what I attack with my GS 1150.

1 hour ago, Ptkatoomer said:

We'd be able to make it to the start in time if we go down in the morning?

sleep in comfort own bed get up ----0600 tecate border cross, be on site at El Compadre by 0730/0800  no worries. most likely won't roll until @ 0900 anyway and its not a race you go when the Don says you can go...or if you are with our crew you just leave when Tim goes. even if some have left no worries we will have dust and tracks to follow. PS 300/250 2 strokers install big tanks--better safe than sorry, that extra gallon will get you all the way around even with some miscue missed trail flubs...

well all of you as motivated and as fast as I signed up.........I can not make this one.

Family function on May5.......so send my regards to the trails of Tecate you will have trail adventure stories to tell all year until the next one.

well with this little rain front.....you are all in for a treat!!! hopefully it pushed inland and up to the mountains.

Light rain the last two nights in Campo, pretty steady last night. Should make perfect riding, same elevation as Tecate (more or less). I can see El Hongo from my house so a little higher.

I will live through all of you.....This will be the second moist LAMC trail I will miss.......first miss I was there with a cast, this second miss we will be in valle Guadalupe with family.........missing the ride!!! I do promise that those who go will talk about it for months or until the next one. Or until the December enduro......

Great ride. Even better people. 

They throw a heck of a party - ride. 

55 or so miles of of true single track with beverages and lunch at the halfway point. 

More beverages and dinner after the ride  

Probably 1000 plus turns.

It was definitely hot out. 

Glad I brought my cooling vest. 

I’ll be back next year. 

Sorry, didn’t take any pictures. 

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

Great ride. Even better people. 

They throw a heck of a party - ride. 

55 or so miles of of true single track with beverages and lunch at the halfway point. 

More beverages and dinner after the ride  

Probably 1000 plus turns.

It was definitely hot out. 

Glad I brought my cooling vest. 

I’ll be back next year. 

Sorry, didn’t take any pictures. 

Yup was awesome event definitely worth every penny. Couple pics jacob took

received_10104193829034918.jpeg

received_10104193829284418.jpeg

now all of you are prepped for the December enduro!! standby when it opens it sells out fast.

Lessons I learned:

• Definitely camp there over the weekend - getting up at 5AM to drive down, do a hard ride, then drive back sucks
  • Hydrate well - It was Hot, I ordered a Helmet Hands-free hydration tube, and it was awesome.  I went thru 3 liters by mile 25, luckily we could refill at mile 28.  Bet i was one of the very few that actually had to stop and urinate during the ride.  https://goo.gl/yKqUzE
  • Eat breakfast and take snacks on the ride - Another casualty of not camping there.  I skipped breakfast and had no food for the ride, I was rode exhausted quite a bit.
  • The toll road is much faster - I took the toll road down, and somehow screwed up and took the free road back, Not terrible, but probably another 20-30 mins added to the drive.
  • Pace yourself -  it is a long technical ride, make sure you have the endurance to finish it. Find a shady spot to rest a few minutes every now and then.
  • Wear your crappiest outer gear -  I ripped the knee off my pants in the first 10 minutes, both elbows had holes in them shortly after.  That is the tightest single track covered with cactus and manzanitas that will poke, prod and stab you (I heard some guys got knocked off their bikes at times).
  • Wear your best protective gear - If it wasn't for my knee, elbow and chest protectors, I'd have a ton of lacerations. 
  • Use a Mousse or Tubliss system, the cactus was abundant, and there was downed barbed-wire on the trail, I think it was from gates or fences that were temporarily down, I remember riding over it at 2 or 3 spots.

Absolutely a great ride, I plan on camping Fri, Sat, Sun next year, and maybe wearing some old camo gear from goodwill for the ride!