Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Los Ancianos Trail ride

LmM - Thanks for the lessons learned tips...:good:

pics and video??? I missed this one due to another commitment.. full course finishers? viddys?

I posted 2 on 1st page. Course was pretty easy until about mile 40 when was 95 degrees and no airflow in creekbed. Pretty rocky nothing crazy hard just heat and exhaustion caught up to us

lesson, gotta have the hot weather kit ready to go. I preach this over and over. my crew also mentioned the heat factor....I was down in valle de Guadalupe it was mid 90s.....that day.

wear neck cooler, fully vented gear, chest protector under jersey against skin....use breathable gear as much as possible, lite weight gloves, lite colors helmet and gear, carry plenty of fluid, best with at least a little hydration mix in it (I use ryno power hydra fuel at minimum added flavor mix), less as possible weight in butt bag or back pack. As stated above---pace yourself. Glad you all had fun and now the baja trail bug has bitten. hope to see more of you out on the trail even when the real heat kicks in. I remember the first trip south breaking in mtnmanseth --he was promptly stoked and addicted!!

A cooling vest is a must for me on those days. 

I pour a bottle of water over my shoulders to wet it back down every 2 hours. 

Mesh gear a must  More vulnerability to cactus but Worth the trade off. 

Ive seen several people wind up in life flight due to heat exhaustion and then a crash at our local desert races. 

No bueno.