Ptkatoomer

First ride with a Recluse

So after work today I went out to McCain to check out the Rekluse I installed on my 300XC. I went thru the run-in procedures per the manual to set the actuation. I don't know if it's because of the Belleville clutch on my bike but it was REALLY hard to find a good setting for that thing. It was super sensitive to adjust; just one change on the hash marks made a notable difference!
I had to set my idle really low to get it to engage well and not slip. I messed around with the slave adjuster a bunch to get it working. With the idle set so low the bike would stall if I hit the brakes hard. I found if I kept just the littlest bit if throttle that would prevent it from dying. However, if I turned the idle up any higher the bike would start to creep when I stopped. 
I tried installing the lighter springs into the exp pak ( since they included them) but that made it worse. Recluse suggests installing the Ktm hardparts aftermarket Belleview spring if you want a more "aggressive" engagement. I'm assuming that's a stiffer spring and that might allow me to up the idle? (But then I might not like the engagement). I did notice that the problem lessened noticeably after riding for about an hour.
I now find that I can run second and third gear where I was using first and second before. Its kinda fun to be able to stop halfway up a hill in second gear and then just roll on the throttle and keep going. I can even start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in.
There's definitely a learning curve. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to keep covering the clutch anymore, and on the flipside, now that I'm not coasting thru the turn with the clutch pulled in I have to be careful with my throttle because I'm "driving" thru it now .
All in all I'm pretty pumped about this addition!

I enjoyed the Recluse on my Yamaha until I destroyed it riding Glamis with a paddle tire in to tall a gear. 

Putting one on the 500 this week after some humbling experiences in Big Beat today. 

When they work right it’s like buying talent. 

Yup I still stall out my 300 with rekluse on hard brake lockups just kept it there too laze to fiddle with springs and weights. I do have hd belleville spring on my 300 took off my 350. Dunno if 300 needed it some say they don't mainly for small bore 4 strokes. Wait until you try a lhrb especially rekluse one dont buy ox brake is junk. That's the true game changer dont have to shift or brake with feet on a 300 just leave in 3rd for flowy mccain and 2nd for slower climbs and pv.  I still think my pop offidle slips too much for ledge jumps but like I said I'm lazy to try other settings. Could be jetting though

I have been using Rekluse for 10 years in 2 different bikes and I could never get them to stop creeping at idle.  The Rekluse isn't perfect but I am lazy and want to enjoy the senery when I ride.

I have the core 3.0 and it works perfectly.  No creeping and it engages smoothly just above idle.   I'm running it on my 500 exc-f and just followed the instructions.   No idea why the 300 xc might be different.

If I adjust the idle creep away, it will slip on the top end- especially in higher gear on sand. The creep/chugging at idle is far worse when the bike is cold. It's a compromise. Yes, I'm using the KTM special belleville washer- it's one of the reasons I'm so fast and talented.

12 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

If I adjust the idle creep away, it will slip on the top end- especially in higher gear on sand. The creep/chugging at idle is far worse when the bike is cold. It's a compromise. Yes, I'm using the KTM special belleville washer- it's one of the reasons I'm so fast and talented.

Did you ride it without the special washer? Just wondering if you noticed much difference in engagement or anything.

I put in the special washer because I’m a Very Special Rider and very very discriminating. 

Of course I noticed a difference. It was..well... it was subtle. And mild. And discreet. 

But I noticed! Because I’m Very Special. 

13 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

My 2014 500 exc also performs like this. No problems.

And on the eighth day god created the clutch...