Ken S

New GPS advise.

Shopping for a basic unit. 

Mostly with riding the Big Bear Dual Sport ride in mind. 

Looking at Garmin 78 and Garmin ETrex 20x. 

Any advise. Is one better for our purposes. 

Just now, Ken S said:

I have about 9 Garmin 60CSx models. I used to buy them up, when they were disco'd... as I have mounts for them in or on, all my vehicles/bikes/bicycles/etc.

However, a great unit... the Garmin 64 is better. It'll hold as many "tracks" as you can push to it (the 60, and 62 are MUCH MORE limited in tracks or track points)

... I'd look for a Garmin 64

Then, get very familiar with tracks. How to make them, edit them, etc.
I often create tracks in google earth, convert them to GPX and load them into Mapsource for final editing. Once done, load them into the GPS and send them out to the "ride group" via a GPX file (which you can load into a smart phone, or another Garmin unit).  Works wonders... has for years!

Finally, hardwire the GPS to the bike. Don't rely on battery, as often they'll vibrate and lose connection. Very frustrating.

I literally just downloaded the MotionX app. Not sure of it's quality yet but, I plan to give it a fair shake. Looks good. Long term I'd like to pick up a Garmin device too.

I first started with Garmin 62 worked ok but the usb charge port always vibrated loose while riding now on the 78 highly recommend. And ditto hardwire it dont like it on batteries

Just now, Wierdrider said:

There’s a 64 for $250 and a 60 for $100 on cl I just saw

That 64 has been on there for months.... I've been watching it. He won't budge too far on price either.

... I missed one late last year for $150.  So, I offered that guy $160... and his response; "no thanks".  ;)   Been on there since Feb.

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

I've been using the 78 for 5+ years with RAM mount and hardwire on both the WR and the KTM...zero issues...very happy with it.

My Garmin 78 is small enough to fit on my bars and still big enough to see, it works for days on 2 AA rechargeables so no need to hard wire. it moves from my Jeep to bike to backpack in seconds with the Ram Mount.  works great with free Google earth and free USGS topo maps.  its been rolled, crashed and left out in the weather.  I got it at West Marine for $99 and used a lot for 5 years, still works great.

DSC00321.jpg

Just FYI about personal preference....

I don't like the buttons of the GPS on top of the screen. Seems, every time I've used one like this I block the screen when operating the unit via buttons (typing in a waypoint name, moving the cursor to another location, etc). I prefer the buttons on the bottom, screen on top.