Is anyone interested in riding sections of the Big Bear hard loop in the next two weeks?    I'm thinking about trying it again this year and need to do some rides up there.    38 special anyone?

Yes. Only date I can’t do is April 14. D38 race. 

Call me Pete. 619-922-4554

I would be interested. What sections you thinking? Staging?  

You do need a plated bike for most of the trails.  Staging? Not sure yet.    One good ride would be starting at Gold mtn and do a loop up John Bull, and return over Gold.  I also really want to ride 38 Special but I would rather truck machines there to avoid the pavement wear.  The other hill on my list is White mtn.   I think I'll be heading up this weekend and be there off and on for the week.

All good stuff did them a couple years ago but we did long 100+ mile days making sure to hit as much technical as we could. We were so wore out at the end

Thanks for the ride Pete. 

Gold mtn. Awesome. Sections of nothing but rock ( small , large , broken, sharp stuff) for miles. Challenging. 

John Bull is a serious butt kicker. 

Recluse and tubliss soon to come after that climb.  

The 20 naked girls waiting for us at the top made it worthwhile. 

Only took photos in the easy spots. 

5C1A49C7-521E-4BFB-AC26-A38A7DB61890.jpeg

D00D3255-9382-4FAD-B0D5-28B054358BC8.jpeg

58D55683-DBD7-4CCF-91A9-9F02AE934D64.jpeg

A8D1335B-7DCA-4E1F-97F8-E75A40A64A37.jpeg

8D6B82A8-A3CF-4834-94E0-BAA78E274BAC.jpeg

B24775EA-EDD1-49DB-9D13-A2335A5215D9.jpeg

Nicely done yeah those 2 trails right after another are serious workout. Next time make sure he takes you on redondo ridge aka Malcolm Smith trail in both directions 

Looks like you guys  had A great ride . Kenny , why tubeless and not mousse inserts ?

3 hours ago, CVRick said:

Looks like you guys  had A great ride . Kenny , why tubeless and not mousse inserts ?

To lazy to lube mousses. I ride slab a lot on the 500. Ability to air way down on nasty sections. 

When is the next ride up there? Wish I could of made this one

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

To lazy to lube mousses. I ride slab a lot on the 500. Ability to air way down on nasty sections. 

Sluago said that their experience with tubliss down in baja was that they don't hold up to extended slabbing either.....

15 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Sluago said that their experience with tubliss down in baja was that they don't hold up to extended slabbing either.....

I've taken my old 350 with tubliss at moderate pressure not crazy low like 4 or 5psi for 2hrs straight at 70ish no problems multiple times. I doubt Kenny gonna do long highway just connectors and tubliss perfect for that

3 hours ago, Bp619 said:

I've taken my old 350 with tubliss at moderate pressure not crazy low like 4 or 5psi for 2hrs straight at 70ish no problems multiple times. I doubt Kenny gonna do long highway just connectors and tubliss perfect for that

Thanks. My thoughts as well. 

10- 20 miles of slab at a time is all I plan on. 

We also rode up 38 Special ( 1N38 ) and that hill did not disappoint.   Last year, it was at about mile 180 out of 210.   (I only made it to mile 90).   It's steep with rocks and no runup to the steep part.   The common wisdom is to air down and they have a pump at the bottom so you can air back up for the remainder of the ride.       I made it up with a Rekluse and a mousse.   Kenny made it up with actual clutch talent.    Brian didn't make it to the top but he didn't try to air down either.    I will be using a tube for the ride in June.   Have not looked at the video yet to see if I got anything worth editing.     And ... see if the camera was on when Kenny was hoping it was not.

I'm planning to go back up the hill on Thursday and stay for the Big Bear trail riders meeting on Saturday.  I'm told they normally do a ride after their meeting and I want to go.    Here's what I'm thinking to pique SDAR rider interest.

Thursday afternoon: Go back to 38 special and see if I can ride it up clean.   I may put some old cameras out on the trail to get some interesting shots and work the steep part a few times.   This I can do without a safety rider because there is cell service and it's very close to highway 38.   But it would be way better to have riders who like hill climbs.   There is no point to starting the hard loop unless you can go up this hill. 

Friday:  Do a bit of a longer loop going in at Fawnskin and ride Redonda Ridge, Devils hole and White mountain.   Last year my cooling system blew up at the top of White mountain.   These are not easy trails and I would not do them without at least one other rider, two would be better.    I can send a detailed ride plan if that helps someone load up their truck.    I'll have to call and make sure the roads and tracks are open.  Pretty cool you can do that huh.     

Friday plan B.  Go hang out at Redonda ridge and see if I can tag along with other riders.   

Saturday:    Ride with BBTR if they go and head home after that. 

Here's some links to the route we did on Saturday sans 38 special.  These links should work in Google earth or Chrome.    Paste the link and select Satellite view.

the inbound section

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HUbWH2NMAmSYsIDkesK_7EToBo3ueRVg

and the outbound section

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1azjjsiCxzTqUB_wluHpm-0GQY5wEVCSk

Anybody up for riding 90 miles of last year's hard loop this weekend?     The route I have planned includes Redonda ridge, Devils hole and White mountain.       There will be some tough sections on this ride.   This would be a training ride for the 2018 Big Bear Dual sport, an AMA sanctioned event.     I can probably program your Garmin GPS so you can practice using it.

The planned ride would stage at Fawnskin.     Maybe meet for breakfast at the North Shore cafe at 8:30?      The ride is 90 miles and there would be gas at about 50 miles at Arrowhead.

I could go either Saturday or Sunday.     If you are interested in going, you can text me or respond here.   

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for the invite Pete. 

Another super fun ride. Brian and I are talking about going again next week. 

BTW. I only stop and take pictures in the easy spots. There is some narly rock filled hill climbs. Some of the best flowing single and double track. Scenic fire roads. 

Cant wait to explore more. There’s hundreds of miles of riding up there. 

C73ADAEC-3A61-4469-B662-9FD88D7D2B8A.jpeg

A5025B4E-FC0B-4854-9AF9-0D3E0341524B.jpeg

AE7F5A5A-D3B0-43A8-A353-3B9BC0E0DB2C.jpeg

31B3C4E1-7CFC-4014-9EA5-4FAC584F7881.jpeg

A2156056-1448-4C1B-A8D0-E0A9632FA43F.jpeg

6508AB81-EEC2-4FE7-9BF2-90DC06CC21B5.jpeg

It was really fun riding with Kenny and Brian.  Here's a clip of White Mountain.     This hill was about 80 miles into our ride.

Nice viddy Pete...some challenging stuff there! ;)

I'm using a Garmin virb ultra.  It collects a lot of data and offers lots of options for display.  I had to jump off the gopro wagon but I know they have a competing product.