BigJon01

Recommendations for Big Bike tires

So, I'm about due for a new rear tire on my KTM 1090R. Any suggestions guys? I ride it 80/20. Right now I have the stock rear and am plenty happy with the street performance but it did wear out pretty quickly. 

Just now, paulmbowers said:

I'm a fan of the Mitas E07+.

What kind of mileage have you gotten out of this tire?

A lot.

I've never recorded start/stop miles- I just ride. I've had good results.

A lot.

I've never recorded start/stop miles- I just ride. I've had good results.

Understood, lol. Thank you!

X2 on Mitas E07

Can get plenty of mileage out of it, smooth riding on pavement and surprisingly good traction even in deep sand. 

7 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I'm a fan of the Mitas E07+.

x3. i'm at almost 9k, about 2k of which was 2-up. i'm getting them again, in about another 1k.

best regards,

john

Thank you guys, I'm sold, this will be my next tire... Now the question... I live in Ramona and work in La Mesa, where do you recommend I buy this tire?

I don't know of any local dealer that carries Mitas. I buy them online, but it's been a while since my last set. Personally, I'd change both f/r because I like match-matchy,and something in my consumerist mind suggests they'll work better as a team.

Buy online, change yourself.

Maybe 8-ball in Kearny Mesa?

FYI... 8-Ball likes to use Dyna beads to balance tires.  If you don't want beads you might request good old fashioned wheel weights in advance!

3 minutes ago, tvscum said:

FYI... 8-Ball likes to use Dyna beads to balance tires.  If you don't want beads you might request good old fashioned wheel weights in advance!

Thank you for the heads up. Balancing would be the only reason I wouldn't want to mount my own. I ride my KTM to work daily, Wildcat and freeway...

Just now, BigJon01 said:

Thank you for the heads up. Balancing would be the only reason I wouldn't want to mount my own. I ride my KTM to work daily, Wildcat and freeway...

I had tires mounted by others for years for just this reason- and I quit it. They're not using any equipment I couldn't get at the local Harbor Fright, and I bought myself a bunch of set-screwed spoke weights that were far better than the stick-ons the shop used. It's pretty easy, once I got the hang of it.

My journey was catalyzed by a flat tire on a Mexican highway that was the result of an improperly mounted UHD tube- had a wrinkle in it that got hot enough to melt a small hole- fortunate not a catastrophic loss- it went slowly.

I had tires mounted by others for years for just this reason- and I quit it. They're not using any equipment I couldn't get at the local Harbor Fright, and I bought myself a bunch of set-screwed spoke weights that were far better than the stick-ons the shop used. It's pretty easy, once I got the hang of it.

My journey was catalyzed by a flat tire on a Mexican highway that was the result of an improperly mounted UHD tube- had a wrinkle in it that got hot enough to melt a small hole- fortunate not a catastrophic loss- it went slowly.

Harbor Freight Motorcycle wheel balance?

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

Just now, BigJon01 said:

Yes! It's made by Pittsburg, so you're assured it the highest quality. B)

Truth is, these are not precision instruments- very basic tool. Coupled with a few YouTube videos, you're good to go. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-SPOKE-WHEEL-BALANCING-WEIGHTS-USA-SELLER-FREE-USA-SHIPPING/331650782111?hash=item4d37ed539f:g:KiEAAMXQtslRX8ex&vxp=mtr are the weights I use. You'll want to follow the seller's link to find a set of the heaviest size- a big ADV tire wheel is a huge rotating mass, and will likely need a lot of weight. And no, putting a rimlock opposite the vavle is not really an option for a wheel that's over 4.25 wide. That'd be a BIG rimlock.Get the big ones and a few smalls for the more delicate work.

I still use UDHD tubes in mine, although technically not recommended for street use- and they certainly add a lot of weight to the rotating mass.

I just watched a couple videos lol. Thank you for the info. I am a DIY'er and appreciate you leading me to this!

If you are limited on time, tools and/or garage space, 8 Ball will mount anything you bring in and generally has a quick turn around.

Mr. B is offering a Tire Install event in your garage. Have a chilled 6 pack of PBR and he is good to supervise.

12 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Mr. B is offering a Tire Install event in your garage. Have a chilled 6 pack of PBR and he is good to supervise.

Sounds like an offer I will take you up on. I will get my tire(s) ordered up and schedule this after I it's received. Anyone else need to tackle this too? We could make it a serious event lol.

On 4/3/2018 at 6:35 AM, paulmbowers said:

I don't know of any local dealer that carries Mitas. I buy them online, but it's been a while since my last set. Personally, I'd change both f/r because I like match-matchy,and something in my consumerist mind suggests they'll work better as a team.

Buy online, change yourself.

Maybe 8-ball in Kearny Mesa?

I'm running the Mitas E07 too on my Tiger 955i and I like them a lot. Great mileage with a sturdy center rail in the tread front and rear. The tire tracks really nice on the hwy due to the tread design.  The treads are a little close together, so if a bunch of sand is going to be ridden, might not be the best choice. Other than that, they're awesome.  

I got mine through EBay, good price. You definitely want to run them as a set.

Just ordered my tire (Mitas E07), wheel balance stand and weights. Should all be here next week sometime...

Thank you for all of the input and advice

On 4/3/2018 at 6:19 PM, Bagstr said:

Please post time/day, MrB.(agster)?

Edit: Friday April 6:

Don't know where I got the mousse issue mixed up in this thread. Imagine a mousse in a big rim like the 1090.  The tube install will be a good deal more manageable. My mind is finding it harder and harder to stay on topic these days.  Is that a bad thing?

Yep,  Ready to Go! Like I said “ Tire install event in your garage.” 

Choose the grease, I have some tire irons, gloves and a chair. We have seen the videos; we can do this.

My riding buddy has two moose installed on his 500 and took tire irons out of his pack. There is a thought.

Mr. Bagstr, not to be confused with that other Mr. B

12 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Yep,  Ready to Go! Like I said “ Tire install event in your garage.” 

Choose the grease, I have some tire irons, gloves and a chair. We have seen the videos; we can do this.

My riding buddy has two moose installed and took tire irons out of his pack. There is a thought.

Me. Bagstr, not to be confused with that other Mr. B

I have the tire, weights and balance stand ordered and due in. Once they are in my hands, I will definitely be scheduling this event with you.

Thank you in advance!

Some of us might want to observe from a safe distance.  Like next to the beer fridge.  Let me know if you can accommodate an observer with extra beverages in hand.

Just now, Zubb said:

Some of us might want to observe from a safe distance.  Like next to the beer fridge.  Let me know if you can accommodate an observer with extra beverages in hand.

Balancer and weights have arrived... waiting impatiently for my tire to arrive. Hoping to schedule this event very soon. Really looking forward to meeting up