Sign in to follow this  
johnnyg

otay today, okay

i've never been to otay mountain, so today was the day! not too many photos, but you all know what it looks like.

i made my way from encinitas through poway to 67 to lakeside. i didn't have it mapped but i knew the general direction... sure enough, there's otay lakes rd! huzzah! i asked the lady in the convenience store at the bottom of the dirt road (at the entrance to the pio pico campground) if they had any maps of the area, but they didn't. she told me that going east from doghouse junction was gated, so i followed the road south and west and ended at the juvenile lock-up. as i continued south from dh junction, i took the first couple of left hand spurs... the second one was a little pucker-y going down the back side to the turn-around. going back up was fun -- pick clean lines and don't lose momentum.

IMG_0068.JPG.40a90bbc55d30f24045a94bbb2fd423b.JPGIMG_0069.JPG.6526142323a5b4f7c615f2f8a4a946f5.JPG

saw a pretty snake.

IMG_0065.JPG.6e554f47b179aea964bbabc34e5b3b42.JPG

i had an encounter on 805 in chula vista on my way back north. i never engage people who want to "race", and i'm happy to let others "win" if it gives me space between me and that guy in the american muscle/pimped four-banger/giant diesel pickup/euro bling vehicle. i do try to move forward through traffic though, and do so without causing others to alter their course or speed. a merging bmw x-series crossed 3 lanes into my lane, while i was even with the rear side door. i braked and swerved, dropping behind him by a few car-lengths and calming my anger. at the next inch-worming of traffic i began to split and he pinches over to the right to close the gap on me. my anger was checked when i realized the level of his aggression. a gap opened and i moved from behind him and over two lanes to the right and pass the group he's slowing with. i moved forward through a few more clusters of cars to put some distance between us, and kept a keen eye on my mirrors for the next few miles. be safe out there.

best regards,

johnnyg

Glad to hear you stayed safe from the %^$# in the cage; good for you to stay calm and avoid someone who obviously had a bad day and was trying to take it out on you.

Cool snake indeed (looks like a Rosy Boa; don't see too many of them if it was).

Continue to stay safe; Happy Easter everyone!

hey bruce, thanks for the response... i didn't know what type of snake it was, so assumed it was a gopher snake. are rosy boas native to socal? 

Gophers look similar to rattlesnakes (and get mistaken for them often) so they are usually pretty recognizable.  Rosy's are native (and protected) but not often seen.  They are a very docile snake and are not prone to biting.  

Mom and Dad used to buy me snakes for Christmas presents when I was young (starting around 10 yo) and although I have not had any for many years they still intrigue me.  If my guess is right you saw something kinda special!  Good for you for letting it mosey along!

Yes, keep the anger in check.  Don't let some A**hole steal your joy.  Get his plate if you can but it's usually quite easy to maneuver far far away from idiots like that.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:59 AM, simicrintz said:

Gophers look similar to rattlesnakes (and get mistaken for them often) so they are usually pretty recognizable.  Rosy's are native (and protected) but not often seen.  They are a very docile snake and are not prone to biting.  

Mom and Dad used to buy me snakes for Christmas presents when I was young (starting around 10 yo) and although I have not had any for many years they still intrigue me.  If my guess is right you saw something kinda special!  Good for you for letting it mosey along!

bruce, i'll be honest, they give me the willies... i love seeing them, but i never feel the need to hold a wild one. i have held a captive ball python, and was really comfortable with it. i guess i don't know how to "read" a snake's movements to feel confident enough to handle a larger wild specimen, even though they're non-venomous. i prolly watch too many youtube fail videos.

On 4/1/2018 at 5:28 PM, Zubb said:

Yes, keep the anger in check.  Don't let some A**hole steal your joy.  Get his plate if you can but it's usually quite easy to maneuver far far away from idiots like that.

kelly, i typically don't let wacky people disrupt my life... i'm all too aware who would lose in a car/bike battle. disengage as quickly as is safely possible. 

I can learn a lot from you guys. My level of restraint is evidently quite lacking as when cagers start to push me around I inevitably leave a boot print on a door. Working on it though...haven't done that for a good 6 months

Kicking a car door didn't work out so well for Chief Petty Officer Zach Buob last year.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Woman-Accused-of-Running-Down-Motorcyclist-in-Road-Rage-Killing-CHP-305502841.html

I'm not trying to get preachy, just think it's good for us all to help each other be smart.  It's a zoo out there.