trcooperone

The next step (what moto to get)

On 3/29/2018 at 5:54 AM, tntmo said:

Only a few minor changes to the DRZ line over its almost 20 year production run.   It’s a bit heavy compared to more off road oriented dual sports (KTM) but it is manageable and within your budget.

An older KTM 400/450/520/525/530 might be in your budget as well.  The RFS motors were pretty solid.  I’m not sure how easy it is to lower them since they run no linkage on the shock.

KTM PDS can be lowered up to 2" by any suspension shop. I seem to recall the DRZ400 being pretty tall?

DRZ's are tall but can be lowered with links or having the suspension modified by a shop.   

It's a blessing and a curse to have so many choices for motorcycles out there!

I am not completely sold on a drz, it just seems to be in my price range more readily than others.

I am open to any bike in the $2000-$2500 range. I would prefer electric start but not necessary. The bike for my dad it is mandatory. For me I could probably get away without it if is a easy kick to start.

I like the XR400 also or an older KTM, like I said I am open just not very knowledgeable in what is going to be reliable and fun. 

Thanks for all of you help!!

Ok here is the update, I went over to my parents house and was talking to my dad about what bikes we are interested and he said he doesn’t NEED an electric start. Although it would be preferred he doesn’t want it to hinder getting a nice, well set up bike.

So, we are open to most any 400cc plus dual sport in the $2000-$2500 range.

If you told me about about a specific bike earlier in this thread I will be sending you a PM to see if it is still available!

Thanks again for your help and if you know of a bike for sale, send it my way!

Don't be afraid to negotiate with people alot around 3k mark will take 2500 I bet 

That bike will thrill you for years. 

Way more bike than the DRZ or XR

Just now, Ken S said:

That bike will thrill you for years. 

Way more bike than the DRZ or XR

X2 little much

Dude, go check that bike out Mine is an 06 te510 (probably the same bike basically), go look, throw a leg over. I paid 2500 for mine and that was a while ago

Nice bike (wrong tires!); you would have a lot of fun on that bike for many years (and maybe never sell it!)!

I've had a 2008 Husky for several years, good bike with some shortcomings (mainly the close-ratio transmission).   The biggest concern with my bike at this time is the availability of parts.  It's not an issue now, but I can see it being a problem.  Throw out a $2500 offer on that one and see if it sticks.

6 hours ago, La Mesa Mike said:

Thanks for the leads!!!

I made a $2500 offer on the tc450...

he said if he still has it in a few weeks he will sell it for $2500! Fingers crossed...

WR 250 is a great bike if it’s not to tall for you. 

They’re a reliable do anything bike. 

A guy I ride with has one and does anything from single track to Glamis with a paddle tire. 

He hangs with my WR450F up to about 80. 

Very off-road capable bikes 

A31395C3-465A-4423-A1FE-E53DE2D917EC.jpeg

Just buy a bike and ride it like you stole it. 

At that price range if it’s not the one you can resell it and upgrade. 

Cant hardly go wrong with that WR 250. 

Jump on it and ride with us 

Might be great, better hear it run and make sure registration isn't to far out. Theres a nice Husky for sale here on the site, i would buy it.

1 minute ago, Uncle Champ said:

Might be great, better hear it run and make sure registration isn't to far out. Theres a nice Husky for sale here on the site, i would buy it.

Message sent to the husky for sale here. I need a bike and my dad needs a bike. Fingers crossed...

On 4/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, Ken S said:

Just buy a bike and ride it like you stole it. 

At that price range if it’s not the one you can resell it and upgrade. 

Cant hardly go wrong with that WR 250. 

Jump on it and ride with us 

Agree . The WR and XR are reasonably priced and could be resold if they don't seem right without losing much money. The 97 XR 400R was A great bike for me. I was getting older and wanted to get A magic button otherwise I would still have it.

Hopefully this tc405 works out today...

and my dad is very interested in the husky for sale here on the site

I am the proud owner of a 2004  Husqvarna TC 450!!

Its a great bike and I was able to talk him down some! 

Define need some suspension tuning to bring it down a little and a little seat foam shave and I am ready to hit the trails!

Now we need a bike for my dad. He came with me and really wants the one for sale here on the forum but only can squeeze out $2600 for it. I sent a message to see if the owner will let it go for that... 

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!! 

147E9D76-6CF0-4220-8CF1-8982919E5029.jpeg