trcooperone

The next step (what moto to get)

Is it automatic or do I need to inform someone?

I had a $14 PayPal balance and just donated it yesterday. I guess I’ll do another $6 and start a regular contribution

Post both as a pair on craigslist with photos and then copy a link here.

Take a look at CRF230, TTR230   All well within your price range, better for the vertically challenged,  and much lighter than the DRZ/XR

great bikes, that will require minimum maintenance and a great step up from the TW.  They will take you anywhere you want to go, and beg for more.

If you are patient, you will even find a plated one in your price range.

Cheers,

Mike

Do you want to try a used CRF230, I have an old beat one that needs exercise. You won't want to use one as your all around rider. Fun little bike though.

Not for sale though, "kids bike" in reserve.

For mostly mountain riding a xr250r 96-2004 plated with a big bore 280 kit is great. 1-2 kicks to start every time. It is a 6 speed lots of gear choice. Hard to find them though. But you can find them for around $2000.  I have had all the xr bikes 250. 400, 600 and 650r . Hands down the best for mountains is the modded 250. I have sold them all but kept the plated 250 now a 280. For lower desert and higher speeds a 400-500 cc bike is what you want. I have a ktm 450 for lower desert and bigger dual sport loops. For that kind of riding the ktm is superior. For knarly single track and mountains, Guess which bike I take to corral canyon or jacumba or the sierras? The little xr250r with a 280 kit  of course!

one other thing, the Honda will handle and steer far better than a drz or dr350 and once you get the jetting spot on they will start 1-2 kicks.

Kyle

I also am a devoted XR250r fan.  Everything Kyle said.  It would be a great transition moto.

They won't roar into high RPM power like a 250cc KTM or Husky.  But they have far more off idle torque for the same CCs and will crawl anywhere you ask.  I believe Devol Engineering offers a lowering link, that with a shaved down seat and anyone can flat foot that bike.  Tip: to make the XR250r a truly great moto replace the stock forks and triple clamps with XR400 components.  That upgrade is a straight swap with NO modifications needed.  Without that upgrade your skills will quickly outgrow the front suspension.  XR400 forks and triple clamps are a fairly common take-off as a result of inverted fork upgrades on the XR400s, they pop up on CL periodically.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!! I have someone interested in my dads bike (blue one) this Saturday. Fingers crossed the guys picks it up! Then I will just need to sell mine ( red one)

I was talking with my dad and I think a bike with an electric start is what will work best for him. Not a complete necessity, but probably the best option.

For me I think I like the xr400 or  xr250 is where I am leaning towards. The 250 sounds like a great bike but  one of the main reasons I am upgrading is so for the few times we do a bigger desert ride I think I will want the xr400.

Could a 250 punched out to a 280 hand pretty good for longer desert rides? 

Either way, it is all just a dream until the TWs are sold. I see all these bike coming through on craigslist and the ones you are posting for me and it is torture!!! I wish we had the TWs sold!!

Thanks again for all of you help and suggestions!! It is a huge help in narrowing down the search.

No matter what you get, I gotta say how cool I think it is that you get to ride with your Dad!  I never did get to with mine (he passed away 23 years ago when I was 35), but I have raised my son (now 25) on dirt bikes since he was 8.  To this day I still get out to the desert once (that needs to change!) a year to ride with him and I am so happy that he wants to ride with the old man.  The bike only matters so much; the ride matters the most!

Just now, simicrintz said:

No matter what you get, I gotta say how cool I think it is that you get to ride with your Dad!  I never did get to with mine (he passed away 23 years ago when I was 35), but I have raised my son (now 25) on dirt bikes since he was 8.  To this day I still get out to the desert once (that needs to change!) a year to ride with him and I am so happy that he wants to ride with the old man.  The bike only matters so much; the ride matters the most!

I could not agree more, thank you! We have a great time spending time together, we both have very busy lives and try to ride at least once a month during "riding season"

We would also like to undertake multiple day rides/camping with the "new" bikes. We are not trying to be anything special on a motorcycle, just have fun on a motorcycle. We have a big trip planned in Utah this summer and would like to have the "new" bikes with some decent seat time before we head up there. 

Miles.... off road? 

how many miles do you think you might ride in a day?

Best bike answer is ... 15-50 miles take the 250/280/300/350

50-100 miles per day ride needs a 400cc + to make it enjoyable.

100+ miles 500-700cc

that it in a general sense, of course any thing is possible.

The majority of our rides will be 50 miles or less with a few times a year 50-100 to include the desert dash.

Thanks for the good info!

I had a project car I sold today and the Mrs allowed a few bucks from that to go to the “new” bike so instead of having to hover around $2000 I will be closer to $2500 which might help get at least a better quality bike. 

Instill have to sell my TW first! I have someone coming to check out my dad’s bike in the morning so hopefully that goes well!

I didn’t... I got a few more emails today so we will se where that goes.

i saw that one, there is also one in la Mesa with electric start I would buy today if the TWs sold!

Both TWs are SOLD!!!!!!

Ok it is not time to officially buy another bike!! I think we have both decided on a DRZ400e. With being vertically challenged we decided that if we got in a situation on a hillside or some other place where it is hard to put our foot down the electric start would be very handy!!!

So the official search for a good running DRZ400e has begun. If you know of one or an equivalent let me know!! 

We have an official budget also. We both have a maximum of $2300 to spend. It might be tuff but I think we can find something!!

Again thanks for you help!!!

Here is one that I was eyeing on craigslist

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/d/suzuki-drz-400e/6560542721.html

It does not run... he said he was riding it last year and it started to "bogg down" after that he stopped riding it and it hasnt started since. It turns over but will not srat.

What are some options for a no start?

I definitely will not be offering him the $2500 he asking. If it is clean and seems like it wont take much to fix the no start I will go check it out. 

I am asking all of you (the experts) on all things drz400, it is a 2004

Make sure its actually street legal plated ,e model i believe dirt only s model factory plated, and with the aftermarket computer no way of telling what original miles or hours so could have a ton. 

"Runs like a champ but, it wont start right now and probably needs a new radiator as well..."

I see this a lot on the Jeepster page and K5 Blazer page I am on, but it usually goes like this "ran when parked".  Needless to say I am always suspect of these kind of ads.

I know you are excited, but take your time looking.  The perfect bike for you will come up, and there are a lot of great guys on here that are already keeping an eye out for you!

I agree, I was able to talk to him more but wouldn’t ever answer me with a direct answer. I wished him good luck on the sale...

Thanks for the support!! 

That DRZ doesn’t appear to be plated.  If you’re patient the right one will come along.

The 2000 may have the less desirable damper rod front forks, I believe that was a change made in 2002 to give the "S" models the same cartridge forks that the off road DRZ's all had.    That said, it has lower miles and appears to have more accessories (frame guards, skid plate, rack, hand guards, steering stabilizer, bigger tank).  I have no experience on how much better or worse the damper rod forks are, but it's a direct swap if it hasn't already been done.   

I'd take a good look at the 2000 model, and try to get it for around $2500