trcooperone

The next step (what moto to get)

I'm not a tall guy either and from my experience, having estart when you're short is especially beneficial.  Not sure about you but when I stall and crash it's usually on some steep hill or rocky terrain and kicking sucks

as tntmo mentioned - don't overlook the DR350.  Some models have electric start.  Lower seat height than the XR400 / DRZ and it has a 6th gear so it can eat up backcountry roadmiles without worrying.  Like the XR, it's aircooled and old school technology (think TW maintenance).

Any bike can have the seat shaved (inexpensive) and suspension internally lowered to accommodate ($500-800?).  At 5'7 in moto boots, even one inch lower than stock makes a big difference. You shouldn't need to go more than 1.5-2" lower. ymmv

I would recommend riding as many of the bikes as possible before buying anything.  Post up a dualsport ride from Pine Valley, see who shows and do some bike swap.  Everybody likes riding a TW around for a bit!

That is all very good info, thanks!!!

most of my riding will be out the front gate, with the occasional trip outside of a riding distance.

I will add the DR350 to the list to check out.

My main drive to move in from the TW is the suspension. Due to the lack of suspension on a TW I feel beat up after a good solid ride.

I have had 2 stroke bikes back in the day that where very tall and not fun to kick when you are verticaly challeged, tired, an in a less than desirable location.

I will continue my research and try and get my TW sold!

2 hours ago, trcooperone said:

Is the XR that bad if you follow the right start up recommend for the XR?

I have read if you up the jets a size or go with the pumper it helps, are those viable solutions?

I guess I am just surprised that a bike that was in production for so long with multiple models is so “bad”

The jet mods and airbox work that I did to mine (as well as adding a 49 state legal exhaust) made mine WAY easier to restart.  My '03 was an R model and was not plated, so the exhaust mod did not matter (not that it may have if it was plated either).  I'd buy that bike back this afternoon if I could find it.

7 hours ago, trcooperone said:

Is the XR that bad if you follow the right start up recommend for the XR?

I have read if you up the jets a size or go with the pumper it helps, are those viable solutions?

I guess I am just surprised that a bike that was in production for so long with multiple models is so “bad”

The XR is not "bad".  On your budget, for back-country runs, it would be really good.  It will start right up cold, especially if you have a pumper carb.  It will handle the sand but, as you know, it is heavier than the modern bikes.  Not a big deal.

The issue is the kick starter on a carb'd bike after laying it down.  Again, it doesn't bother me that much because I do not tip it over on every ride.  Stalling it while climbing a hill will also make you wish you had a magic button.

The XR is lighter than a DRZ because it does not have a large battery and starter.  You will have to install a smaller battery on the XR to run a dualsport kit.  IMO, it is not worth the mechanical effort, cost or weight gain to install an electric start on a XR400.

Bottom line on your budget...  If you don't mind the kick starter, get the XR.  If you do, get the DRZ or the DR350 or the CRF250L

Well said tvscum, thank you!

I think I am armed with good info, now on to selling the TW and starting the search!

Please send anyone interested in a TW my way and once sold I will be asking all of your advice again once I start to go look at bikes!

National City Motorcycle has a fresh XR400 plated machine for sale by a customer. 619 474 2025, ask for Rob B reference Rob N

its loaded with all the goodies both street legal stuff and off road stuff as well. they were in the middle of complete top end job. the price was mentioned to me and it was a very low get it out of the garage price. under 2k.

Just now, robertaccio said:

National City Motorcycle has a fresh XR400 plated machine for sale by a customer. 619 474 2025, ask for Rob B reference Rob N

its loaded with all the goodies both street legal stuff and off road stuff as well. they were in the middle of complete top end job. the price was mentioned to me and it was a very low get it out of the garage price. under 2k.

I will, thank you!

OK now that you know what direction you are headed I will say I loved how my XR rode, after suspension tweaking. The young man I sold it to takes it everywhere and loves it, he replaced the carb and states starting is a non issue. Solid fun bike. Worlds better than the TW.

I live close to you lets ride!

robertaccio, I called national city motorcycle and Rob does not work on mondays, I will try again tomorrow. I am very curious about that bike!

Hopefully is is set up and all I need to do I buy it and ride it!

Uncle Champ, let’s do it! The next few weeks are a little busy but hopefully I will free up time and we can go!

I just got an offer for a 2003 KLX 400. I have personal interest I the bike or sale. contact me if you need the sellers contact.

3 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I just got an offer for a 2003 KLX 400. I have personal interest I the bike or sale. contact me if you need the sellers contact.

please pm me more detail, thanks!!

I am not sure if this is "legal" but here is a link to my TW200. If posting the link is not allowed, I will take it down ASAP!!!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/d/yamaha-tw200/6547315056.html

The rotopax mount and tank can be had for the right price with the purchase of the bike. 

Thanks again for all the help from everyone, I need this TW sold!!! I am ready to bump up!

I have a guy who wants to trade me a 99 yz400f player in CA. He wants the TW for his wife.

It is his back up bike and has a few upgrades, bigger tank, “easy start” cam, 2” lowering kit...

What do guys think?

C0D6A720-31FF-41B0-BFB3-5FB21267EF91.jpeg

A7AFDE2E-9346-433A-90A8-6A98169195C4.jpeg

92E980E2-8AC3-4D3D-804C-15207FDEF018.jpeg

I owned a 99 WR400F for several years.  It was probably the most reliable bike I’ve owned, no issues.  Not a great dual sport if you want to do much more than a few miles of pavement.  Mine was a 1-2 kick start machine almost every time.  I see plated ones for sale around $1500-$2000 fairly often.

My biggest concern is the seat height, per the magical internet, is 2" taller than an xr/drz. It does come with the 2" lowering kit but that still puts it at 36" with my 30" inseam...

The reason I am interested is because it is a trade, one transaction and done. 

They are a taller bike, like most any MX or enduro bike is.  It's probably a bit lighter than the TW200 and has about four times the HP.  You won't be too worried about the seat height, because you'll be smiling all the time.

The YZ from that vintage was known to be a spirited race bike. You upgrading from a TW200 would likely hate it and spend a lot of time and money trying to rein in the performance of the engine. There are also a number of years that had a 4 speed gearbox. I don't know off hand if it is but my 5 speed YZ is not happy cruising above 45 mph. I say keep looking.

I would have to agree that the bikes you were considering earlier are probably a better choice.  Sometimes the easy road (choice) is not the best one to take.....

That is the way I was leaning towards, just wanted to confirm I was thinking right. Although it may seem like a fun trade I think over all I would be happier with a drz or xr

Thanks! The quest continues! 

I really need someone to buy my TW! My dads is also up for sale. Help me find someone to buy them!

How much is needed to donate to be able to post in the for sale section?