trcooperone

The next step (what moto to get)

It has been a long while since it have been on here. The last year was crazy and there have been some positive changes that have allowed to ride more! I now live in Pine Valley and can ride almost daily which has been great, the down side is my skills (still mediocre) have exceeded my current bike, the infamous TW200!!

I rode the desert dash in 2017 with my dad, we where the crazy guys on the TWs! We had a great time! We were not able to do it this year but have high hopes to get back at it in 2019.

Ok so I have been stuck with not wanting to sell the TW and just buy another bike and keep the TW as a loner bike for when friends come to visit. I have come the realization (with help from my wife...) I need to sell the TW to fund the next motorcycle.

I am coming to you for your knowledge and skills in deciding the next bike. I am a vertically challenged man and on a tall day stand 5'7" and the TW has been great for the low seat height but I am ready to take the next step. I have done the basic research and found there are a couple options in assisting getting the taller bikes to better suit the short inseam, like a shorter seat, link system, and getting the suspension tuned for a shorter rider.

With that information in mind and the the very limited budget of less that 3k (most of which will be from selling the TW), what is your suggestion on what bike to get?

I am open to all options, and if any of you have an extra bike and want to trade for a great TW with some minor upgrades, let me know!!!

Tommy

Drz400!!

I remember your guys at desert dash so awesome. I admit i think i actually said wtf!!

I am pretty sure about 10 miles in we said the same thing, we made it about 75/80 miles and then called it. The sand killed us!! we needed more bike for sure!

Any particular year for the DRZ?

All the same to my knowledge over last decade plus

Only a few minor changes to the DRZ line over its almost 20 year production run.   It’s a bit heavy compared to more off road oriented dual sports (KTM) but it is manageable and within your budget.

An older KTM 400/450/520/525/530 might be in your budget as well.  The RFS motors were pretty solid.  I’m not sure how easy it is to lower them since they run no linkage on the shock.

Look for a 2002+ DRZ400 (unless it's an E), that's when they changed to cartridge forks. 2003 saw an updated ACCT. Other than that it's mostly graphics, not sure if the S saw the same upgrade to 1 1/8" handlebars the SM did. 

I looked up weight and in is a very minimal increase over the TW considering that you get twice the cc's. It sounds like the DRZ is the next step. I was interested in the WR platform but they seam to be a lot more and to be honest the DRZ is probably more than capable for me. 

I haven't found anywhere on forums or youtube that people that have actually owned one and disliked it, there are obviously better bikes out ther but for the less than 3k range it looks like the ticket. 

Thanks for all the input!! any more specifics about the drz?

Also be on the lookout for a TW for sale. if interested send me a pm for specifics. I will get a sale add up soon on here and craigslist.  

You may find that many of the folks here will direct you Suspension 101 as you buy a bike and consider having it lowered for a more custom fit (I would direct you that way too).  When I bought my DRZ, it was too low because of previous owner.  I actually had to remove lowering links and return bike to standard, heck, he may still have the links he removed to sell at a fair used price.  I think we met at the dash, parked nose to the road, next to each other (?).  I enjoy my DRZ, enough to have kept it for occasional rides even though I have another bike that is more dirt orientated, as it is so versatile, but could consider letting it go, but a bit more than 3, if your search stalls (pm as needed). Cheers.

My only additional input is that if you've decided on a DRZ, take a look at getting a plated "E" model.  These were sold as a trail only version, so they didn't come from the factory with a license plate but many have been converted.  They have slightly more compression, a different exhaust cam, different exhaust system, a pumper carburetor and some other differences.  They are lighter (maybe 10-20 pounds?).   

XR 400 kick start ( mine was), don't get it upside down, then it's a real bear, funbike but ...oh kickstarting :(

Had several XR400's and loved them all (on a XR650 with e-start now).  Like Charlie said above though, don't let them get spun around or you won't be having fun!!

Is there an electric start add-on aftermarket?

Is there a carb modification that can be done to help with starts?

I played with some jetting and mods (look them up on Thumper Talk) and it really helped the hard starts.  It is way more capable (my opinion) than a DRZ, but much heavier than what a lot of guys run on here (KTM, for example).  I've been on XR's for almost 40 years now (I'm 58) and I'm not smart enough to know they're heavy since I've never ridden a light bike! 

They are tall though, so that may be a bit of a problem based on your earlier comment.

Thanks!! Based on the internet the XR400 is 1/4” shorter than the drz which is negligible 

I am not as concerned for how well it rides on the road since it will see probably 80% dirt

From what I have read the drz is good not great. The XR400, according to the internet geniuses is great off road.

I would love a KTM or a WR but those are currently financially out of reach.

I would pick an XR over a DRZ, but I would love a KTM!  Unfortunately that is out of my reach as well currently!

I ride with a guy that has an XR250 big bore. He swapped on KTM forks and an Ohlins shock. It has a lower seat height and is very capable but as stated kick only. I've never seen him kick it more than a few times. 

I think I am leaning towards the XR, they seem to be better suited for off road, they seem to be cheaper, and have a lot of aftermarket support.

DRZ also are budget friendly and have good aftermarket support and the magical electric start.

It is a tight race between the two but I think I am leaning towards the XR400.

Any particular year I should be in the look out for the XR400?

I still need to sell the TW before I get anything anyway, if any of you know someone looking for a TW send them my way

Thanks for all the help! Keep the experience and advice coming!!!!

The XR has not changed in like 20 years; don't know that there is a "bad" year.  Mine was an '03 for whatever that is worth!

Don’t forget the DR350.  Lots of them around for $1500 range.

If you lay it down regularly, you want an electric start (DRZ).  I have an XR and kick starting can be a pain.  I don't really lay it down that much though.  You also want a pumper carb on the XR, not the stock carb.

Is the XR that bad if you follow the right start up recommend for the XR?

I have read if you up the jets a size or go with the pumper it helps, are those viable solutions?

I guess I am just surprised that a bike that was in production for so long with multiple models is so “bad”

One of the keys imho is: What type of riding will you be doing? 

From Pine Valley you could easily do big backcountry loops and large dualsport rides.  Or, you could ride dirt to Corral Canyon and hit Black Diamond singletrack trails. 

Being that you don't always have to truck to the trail head like many of us do puts you in a unique situation.