alyeska

Anyone use one of these?

After returning several racks that do not fit properly on the rear of my 18 ktm 690r I decided to go this way, I ordered this from kip moto for around $1k, it does not include the container since I decided to fabricate an aluminum locking box. The back of this bike is very weak (plastic) so adding lightweight panniers for travelling would even be a lot for this design, after reviewing the videos and obtaining other information I decided to take the plunge, I know it will need plated in calif and I will have to add small lights I am sure. It weighs 30lbs empty and seems to track well even offrooad (videos) the connection to rear axle is almost instant.

bike trailer2.jpg

bike trailer1.jpg

Man, I can't wait to see how this all works out!!

Tom you always end up with such cool gear . . .

I'd like to see you air it out over a nice sharp sand dune ridge.

It's even suspended....Mono shock baby

I was following a buddy with one when the rear tire kicked up a real good size rock and lodged it in the cross brace causing him to come to a rapid stop.   Over the bars with two snapped wrists from his brush guards and a wicked set of busted up ribs that are still healing year and a half later.  His riding days are done due to his wrists.  I’ll bet I could get you a good deal on a used slightly bent up and probably beaten a few times one.    Lol.  Up till that point it seemed like a nice set-up.  

I thought you were talking about the Trail 90....because I use one of those.

I would never use that off road, not the Trail 90, the trailer thing attached to the KTM.  Hobie gives one example, I can think of a few others that all deal with balance and dynamic handling of a motorcycle. I also have never ridden with big luggage bags and will only carry what I absolutely must have with me (It fits in my backpack or it isn't needed).

Is the trailer frame adjustable to fit various bikes or is it specific to your 690?

Tom is a smart guy with tons of miles under his belt. I don't think his intention is to do Lockhart Basin with this set up. Rather, I see him riding to Boston for some clam chowder on a Monday or Tuesday, hitting Fort Lauderdale and Houston on his way home on Friday... LOL...maybe hitting a few dirt roads along the way. 

Forget the rack. Try a rackless bag setup like the Coyote or Reckless 80. You can haul the mail with either of those setups and no rack getting in your way when the bags are off. Perun Moto makes a really nice tail rack that works perfectly with the Reckless 80.

10 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Does it always play that music when you tow it down the trail?  Pretty annoying if you ask me.

3 hours ago, bsham said:

Forget the rack. Try a rackless bag setup like the Coyote or Reckless 80. You can haul the mail with either of those setups and no rack getting in your way when the bags are off. Perun Moto makes a really nice tail rack that works perfectly with the Reckless 80.

If I recall, I think Tom likes to lock sh*t down.  cloth bags may not be secure enough for his taste.  

Zubbs got it right, I do like my stuff locked, this wont see much rough terrain but will be used to travel the states, I live on a bike for up to 3 months at a time and I need to take camping gear and clothes for at least 5 days, plus heated gear and rain gear so I require large panniers for tons of storage. What I like about this is that I can dump it and go riding with no effect on my bike, I wont be jumping it or doing any single track with it that is for sure.

The Canadian family we hosted used a Trail Tail with an integrated lockable hard case. They trucked everything to mid-CA, then rode to San Felipe and back, 2UP x 2, on DR650's. No issues. 

Soft bags - I guess you could wrestle with PacSafe stuff.

IMG_4422

San Fel 1

looks lik they are really built on the same principle, I will give a report when I test it, speed, terrain and braking.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud but what good will it do to lock it all up if I can just walk up and pop the whole deal off the rear axel and walk off with it like a wheelbarrow.  I’m just going from experiences.   And as with anything I understand locks are for honest thieves.  I’m in the carry it on my back or not at all group obviously.   

I will be locking it to bike, as far as carrying it all on my back, do you think you could carry a tent, thermarest, cooking gear, clothes 2 pairs of shoes and dry food to camp for 2 to 3 months, I will admit that when Im day riding I carry everything on a tailpack and tankbag but that's a day ride, and I don't have other riders to support me in Alaska, nova scotia, new foundland or all parts of Canada since I ride alone and camp alone. Good point though.

4 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Speed limit with a trailer 55,

Only in CA.

6 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Speed limit with a trailer 55,

Yes, and the speed limit on my K60 scouts is a hundred.  But I've 'heard' ;);) they can go faster.

I wanna see Tom air that rig out at about 70!  We'll get Jimbo to snap some pics mid way through a hundred foot flight and Tom will be famous.  again.

dont ride much in California, I got one of those old brass passes.

slapped the racks on for a quick hop to san felipe next Friday.

newest_rack_ktm_010.JPG

newest_rack_ktm_017.JPG