HacksawPete

IMS tank design change for 2017 KTM 500 EXC-f

Two thumbs up for IMS customer support!     I bought an IMS 3.2 gallon tank (because I was tired of running out of gas) and it didn't fit very well.  I used it far longer than I should have and I probably shouldn't have used it at all after I noticed the tank was actually rubbing on the valve cover.   Two pretty good things came from this problem.  First, the tank is way tougher than I would have thought.  I have at least 50 hours on this and the tank damage is minimal.  Second, when I called IMS, they say they knew of the issue and had a design update.   After emailing them my purchase receipt, they mailed me a new tank!  For free!   So I either paid way too much for the tank or IMS really wants to take care of their customers.    Info in the photos below includes how to ID the old and new designs (new design has a "RV-2") and the clearance the new tanks has.

Photos details

New tires and tank - overview

Contact on bike - valve cover is slightly worn 

Contact on tank - Tank has slightly more damage than the valve cover but not that much

New Clearance - I put some puddy on the valve cover contact area and installed the tank to measure what the new clearance is.  This is a cross section at the contact area.

Old tank ID - the old tank is marked "KTM - 27"  

New tank ID - the new tank is marked "KTM - 27"   With an additional ID line of "RV-2"

Pete

New_tires_and_tank.jpg

Contact_on_bike.jpg

Contact_on_tank.jpg

New_clearance.jpg

Old_tank_ID.jpg

New_tank_ID.jpg