SoCalMule

GPS Question

I was wondering what would be a good entry-level GPS for riding events like the desert dash on the 24th? I am not used to using a GPS on my bike and really not willing to take a college level class on how to use it. Any ideas?

For entry-level I like any of the Garmin eTrex models that allow you to add maps, such as the eTrex 20. Solid feature set and small enough not to get in the way on dirt bike bars. 

My wife and I used the e-trex when we scootered through Europe a few different times.  The e-Trex has good basic functions of following a route.  Small design, mounts easily.  Economical.  We used velcro around the handlebars of the scooters.  The unit weights nothing, so it will stay in place well.  The more expensive units are easy to use also to do the same basic functions.  All units will require reading the instructions to operate and download tracks or a buddy to show you.

What other GPS units are economical out there?

1 hour ago, Wintyfresh said:

For entry-level I like any of the Garmin eTrex models that allow you to add maps, such as the eTrex 20. Solid feature set and small enough not to get in the way on dirt bike bars. 

Thank you! I will research these.

42 minutes ago, Beezzz said:

My wife and I used the e-trex when we scootered through Europe a few different times.  The e-Trex has good basic functions of following a route.  Small design, mounts easily.  Economical.  We used velcro around the handlebars of the scooters.  The unit weights nothing, so it will stay in place well.  The more expensive units are easy to use also to do the same basic functions.  All units will require reading the instructions to operate and download tracks or a buddy to show you.

What other GPS units are economical out there?

Good information, thank you!

You'll be good to go with any of GPS offerings.  Be sure to get GPS that you can "download a track" to.  For me, I want to be sure the GPS I purchase has a "track back" feature "satellite based" for exploring areas while camping.  I have experienced to many times that "I can't see the forest through the trees" and sometimes all the turns will look a like on the return trip to camp.  Too many times, the choice was a coin toss.

My cell phone has a free GPS app installed, which I like, for general use and has a easy to use "track back" feature.  Easy cell phone apps I use:  Basic GPS Tracker,  US Topo Maps. 

Tip:   Save your Google Maps "exploratory ride areas" to:  Google Map "Offline Maps & Navigation" for use "off line" with no internet access needed and reference your maps later on your cell phone. 

? Someone please verify this statement (I am only 90% sure of this).  A satellite will place a blue dot on this map for your location outside of the cell service area. ?  True or False?

Here’s my e-Trex setup I have use on the Desert Dash. I bought the cradle and mounts from GPS city. 

1B7821CC-A8C1-4F64-B28A-CE5DDA68ADEF.jpeg

^^ Same one I run, crashed hard enough two weeks ago to bend my bars clear back in the clamps and both the mount and GPS survived with no damage. 

There is a FREE Cell phone app. "HERE" where you down load the map you will need and you can turn of the Cell service to run it OFFLINE. Negative: there is no Backtracking.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, Beezzz said:

You'll be good to go with any of GPS offerings.  Be sure to get GPS that you can "download a track" to.  For me, I want to be sure the GPS I purchase has a "track back" feature "satellite based" for exploring areas while camping.  I have experienced to many times that "I can't see the forest through the trees" and sometimes all the turns will look a like on the return trip to camp.  Too many times, the choice was a coin toss.

My cell phone has a free GPS app installed, which I like, for general use and has a easy to use "track back" feature.  Easy cell phone apps I use:  Basic GPS Tracker,  US Topo Maps. 

Tip:   Save your Google Maps "exploratory ride areas" to:  Google Map "Offline Maps & Navigation" for use "off line" with no internet access needed and reference your maps later on your cell phone. 

? Someone please verify this statement (I am only 90% sure of this).  A satellite will place a blue dot on this map for your location outside of the cell service area. ?  True or False?

Perfect! I will save this information to refer to. Thank you! Mark

20 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

There is a FREE Cell phone app. "HERE" where you down load the map you will need and you can turn of the Cell service to run it OFFLINE. Negative: there is no Backtracking.

Thank you! Sounds like a good app.

23 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

^^ Same one I run, crashed hard enough two weeks ago to bend my bars clear back in the clamps and both the mount and GPS survived with no damage. 

ouch! 

23 hours ago, socalhodaka said:

Here’s my e-Trex setup I have use on the Desert Dash. I bought the cradle and mounts from GPS city. 

1B7821CC-A8C1-4F64-B28A-CE5DDA68ADEF.jpeg

Great, it seems that this setup is the way to go! Thank you! Mark

4 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Thank you! Will check this out too. 

I like the "60" over my "Dakota". The display is better to read in the sun, the push buttons are better than touch screen for biking. I used the "60" in OZ with a free map and never got real lost to.

42 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I like the "60" over my "Dakota". The display is better to read in the sun, the push buttons are better than touch screen for biking. I used the "60" in OZ with a free map and never got real lost to.

just saw a new in the box Garmin "64" for a $100.00 on craigslist. Do you think the 64 would be similar to the 60? 

On 2/15/2018 at 6:01 PM, Mr.JAJA said:

I used Here in Death Valley and worked great.