97xr400r

Easy way to create GPX route trace

So I've  been loving the "California Trail Maps" for wandering aimlessly just trying to find stuff I haven't ridden before. The maps are loaded on an android phone mounted to the bike. This works great when I'm riding alone, with a range of over 200 miles and nobody else to worry about. Thing is I would like to start stitching together some BIG routes and figure milages and other logistics for future group rides.

Thought I would ask the gang if there is an easy way to create routes I can save as gpx files to load into my trailtech voyager and overlay on my phone as backups.

I would love to be able to (on a pc) overlay California Trail Maps on top of satellite images then trace out a route. Does anybody have experience doing this? If so would you mind sharing some cliff notes?

Thanks for any advice!

20180202_115336.jpg.ef441217bcc461239e91576906e6409f.jpg

Back when Google maps was friendlier for this kind of thing, that is what I would use, and then use GPS Visualizer to save as a GPX.  Now, I think you can do your planning in Furkot and save out from there.

You can bring GPX files into Google Earth.  That can be really helpful.

I don't think you can overlay CA Trail Maps in GE. You can use Garmin Basecamp to create a track and then export it in KML format . Then open that in GE.

This is what I have been doing:

• Route Planning : Garmin Basecamp with the CA Trail Maps  then export the gpx route.
  • Sharing intended route: Create a map using Google My Maps http://mymaps.google.com and upload the GPX file.   
  • Old iPhone for GPS (no sim card installed): Galileo Offline Maps Pro + California Trail maps.   I do have map app envy of OruxMaps on android - it does the layering.
    • I mounted it with Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount.   
  • GE Pro for storing all the trips using KML

My beta came with the voyager with a GPS - it works to get me places.   But I am spoiled with the California Trail Map - so I mainly just use the phone.

As for layering Trail Maps on GE - I found some free tools that should have worked, but nothing has delivered to date.   If I find something I will report back.  The one I am playing around with now is: https://github.com/tobinbradley/mbtiles-server

Thanks guys! 

So while using Garmin basecamp with CA TM you can create a route? That would be great!

I have never used basecamp...

Do you just load CA TM into Bascamp and then go about selecting the desired trails to create a route? 

How about viewranger app?

Easy to create a track, a route and export a gpx file.

download for free for your phone at the App Store.