San Diego Adventure Riders

Quick Question, I was cleaning up one of my outbuildings and found numerous quarts of Amsoil and since its time to change the oil in my 06 TE 510 Husky, I'm tempted to use the Amsoil.

Any experiences, warnings, etc?

Thanks.

Cool, an oil thread!  What have you been running in the Husky before?  I run the WalMart special gallon jug of 15w-40 in mine.  It still runs, if that helps.

I use maxima, my cousin uses rotella, my sister uses motul, my brother uses amsoil, my nephew uses spectro etc etc etc  and everyone of them will internet shame anyone who says they use any other brand than what they use...which is always the best oil to use. my suggestion do your research and make your own decision or you will get deluged with information some good some not all very opinionated. hence the tune " Oh no another oil thread"

PS the only guy I know that has done a real scientific oil test (at the customer level) , has used Rotella in his KTM350EXCF since new which now has @ 10K miles and at least 2 full length of lower California trips as well as many hardcore trail and race miles  and local round town runs.

He has sent his oil samples at every change out to an independent oil analysis company and received glowing reports every time. So although I use Maxima products, I will say with confidence that the Shell Rotella threads do hold merit , he has the actual data to prove it. Amsoil? is another good company, but experience with their product line I've got zero..

my tuppence oil thread.

Amsoil, what?

Is it this, why not - https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/motorcycle/2006/husqvarna/te/510/us-volume/

You'll know if you like it or not once you run it. To answer your question, never used it myself, but have thought about it like you. I know my '06 TE450 Husky likes Motorex more than Maxima, but runs just fine on Maxima. The Motorex just feels smoother to me. Same with my GSXR, the bike operates much, much, much smoother without a doubt on Motorex compared to Maxima for example. But the GSXR is a different beast.

I say run the Amsoil if it's the right oil for your bike. No reason to waste it. Or you can be generous and give it to someone to try it out.  Hint, hint!

I would listen to Robertaccio and then disregard, because this is an oil thread. And then call him as if you did not see his thread answer and then disregard what he said, because this is an oil thread.

Dry internet humor.

Dam, I didn't mean to start a whole oil thread , now I have research to do. I used Maxima last time but the price is good on the Amsoil. I'm so sorry:(

Maybe we should talk about tires instead...

Seriously thanks for the replies.

Pretty sure this is what happened to the last guy who ran Amsoil in a Husky.....

Image result for explosion

I run Amsoil in my bikes with no issues, KTM 520, Yz250f, and my KLR. Even ran the two stroke oil in my mixed gas. I have also run just about anything else with no issues also.

Just now, socalhodaka said:

I run Amsoil in my bikes with no issues, KTM 520, Yz250f, and my KLR. Even ran the two stroke oil in my mixed gas. I have also run just about anything else with no issues also.

I am very skeptical of the legitimacy in the above statement. Next someone is going to tell us, you can run less than 15psi in your tires, McCain Valley is cold on winter mornings, and KTM has an orange bike.  Yes, very skeptical indeed. 

As I said before ,When has anyone have a oil related faliure ? 

24 minutes ago, kkug said:

As I said before ,When has anyone have a oil related faliure ? 

I’ve been close a few times when I forget to put oil in after a change. 

Covered in Forgetfulness 

3 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I’ve been close a few times when I forget to put oil in after a change. 

Covered in Forgetfulness 

No Oil is the worst kind of oil...

On 2/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, Uncle Champ said:

Quick Question, I was cleaning up one of my outbuildings and found numerous quarts of Amsoil and since its time to change the oil in my 06 TE 510 Husky, I'm tempted to use the Amsoil.

Any experiences, warnings, etc?

Thanks.

As far as thumpers... Amsoil has been around for a lot of years and is a good oil. I use Motorex 4T 20/60 in my 07 KTM 450 exc. The older RFS engines love this weight and Motorex 20/60 is specifically designed for these engines. I have over 350 hours on my bike with all original internals. The clutch works as it should, shifting works as it should, gears don't shed metal, filters look clean etc.. So Motorex works well in my bike. 

Walmart's Mobile One "car oil" maybe an economical choice but, Husky's, KTMs, and other manufacture's Single Cylinder "high rev 4T motorcycle engines" were not part of Mobil's lab created synthetic oil design. 

If I had a choice of blood for a transfusion, I would not want blood from someone that shopped for their food at Walmart!

So, I recommend that you continue to do your do diligence, research for engine failures as someone mentioned here earlier. See what oil the bike manufactures use in their bikes. They want longevity first and foremost. Their bottom line depends on it! Spend the extra money on the lifeblood that your machine depends on. 

PS: 

I have used Amsoil in the past in my two stroke KTM's; 250 exc's and 300 mxc's. I raced enduro season after season using Amsoil with good results. I remember that we ran it in a much leaner ratio than most other oils recommend. With proper jetting cold fouling was a thing of the past. The plugs ran coco brown after plug checks. I plug checked in the following way: 1. get the bike to operating temp. 2. get on a straight section and open it up fifth or sixth gear full out. 3. pull in the clutch and kill the engine. 4. bring it to a stop and pull the plug. 5. read the plug. You want a tan brown plug. "White" equals hot or a lean condition. Black or sooty is a rich condition.You all know this. I know that this also means plug's temp range, and jetting;  but in two strokes its also oil burn. Just thought I's add this incase someone could use the info. 

10 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

But what tires will u be running with the Amsoil ?

Might make a huge difference.

Not to mention what kind of chain lube....:rolleyes:

the only car where I run AMSOIL is my F250 Diesel and I run this for 30-40K. 16 Quarts changing every 3K is just not my way. every thing else gets Walmarkt oil.

14 hours ago, KTMrad said:

But what tires will u be running with the Amsoil ?

Might make a huge difference.

cute...

I know this is an oil thread and all....but I'll chime in with what I'm pretty sure is good intel. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure if the Amzoil you found is for motorcycles or cars. Most of the oil for cars use friction modifiers. There were added to automobile oils years back to meet a certain designation. They improve mileage by making things slide against each other with less friction. They are like little ball bearings on a molecular level. Car makers tell the owners to use this designation. The cars get better mileage and everybody (owners, car makers, government) is happy. The oils with friction modifiers don't work real well with a wet clutch. They make it slip. Motorcycle oil for wet clutch's don't have friction modifiers. Also, the stuff used in diesels and fleet lubrication service don't have it either. I don't remember why, but that is why it is OK to use Delo or Rotella.

So... if the Amzoil you found is for cars, it might have friction modifiers.