alyeska

Brought the baby home today!

Went to get the bike today, I cant remember the last time I rode such a light bike with so much power, as long as she holds up for me I may be an orange again.

new_690_009.JPG

new_690_011.JPG

new_690_012.JPG

Nice bike.  Is there any changes in the motor on the 2018 model?  Does this share the same motor as the husqvarna 701?

Congrats, hope it works on your longer distance trips for ya. 

Know for the fun, making it yours!

I almost bought the 701 but as far as I know the difference is only rear subframe area and suspension travel (701 has more) and of course color and seat, there may be more but that's all I could find.

You are really a great guy to buy me that bike so I can ride with you when you are on your African Twin.  I am not working this weekend, cannot wait to come down and try my new bike, Again you the man!!!   

Nice one!!

Alyeska,

So,  tell us your ideal use for the New Baby. Travel, local dualsport?

Enjoy

started building it today, putting on parts I brought home and ordering the others. I plan on doing a may trip from here to my place in Montana then onto maine, north Carolina, south Carolina, Tennessee. Arkansas then head towards calif, probably around 8 to 10K so we will see how it holds up to high daily miles. If it works out it will be going to Alaska in july. Bought this because its the only bike that is light enough to do 20-30 % of this trip off road that I could find yet still get on the highway and run 80 all day. Going one up on the front sprocket, madstad windshield, seat concepts, rotopax (this thing holds no gas) not adding a lot of heavy items so  I don't end up like the AT (sold to a happy CL person). Im thinking Honda crf 450 for here (Montana plated).

Congrats!

I hear through the grapevine that it's a good idea to carry a spare fuel pump / fuel pump parts for that baby...

KTM= kick ten more times, Ive heard the same thing and I think Ill get one.

Enjoy - I had a ton of memories on my '15 690.   it was super reliable for me.

Here's what I did to my 690:

• When I need ideas for what to change up - Telerover on youtube has modded up his bike and recorded all of the changes - https://www.youtube.com/user/gwcarverlab/videos
  • Earlier today we talked about the temp on the bike running hot.   I put on a trail tech computer operated switch - then dumped that when it broke when I was out in the middle of nowhere. I now have a SW1888 switch on there.    Here is a video to the details on changing out the switch.  https://youtu.be/3IBHkalj3Hg
  • Goldentyre 216AA fatty up front.    I will be sticking with this tire on all my bikes for the foreseeable future.
  • Motoz TRACTIONATOR DESERT H/T rear.   Wears long and as it gets better with age.   I might change up the tire in the future for something "softer" (odds are low because that 690 eats soft tires due to the HP).  
  • The 690 radiator hangs out there.  Originally put the KTM Radiator Guard on it was horrible because the filler cap didn't fit properly - so I ripped that off and put on one from flat land racing - looks bomb proof - http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=12-69&Category_Code=12-ktm
  • Wings exhaust - just to lighten it up a bit and the stock exhaust is so HOT.  https://youtu.be/s6VZ88hBDio
  • Lithium battery - just to make sure I had some juice if I left the key on for to long with out the motor running.
  • Then I bought all of Perun moto's stuff - tank bolts and luggage  rack.

I am sure I am forgetting something.   

Have fun and enjoy.

Weir, if your still around tomorrow superbowl party starting at 2

What is your review of the AT?   It sounds like the perfect match for your trip.

Chuck. thanks for all the info on the bike and for purchasing the trailer, I ordered all the perun stuff, flatland radiator guard, seat concepts 2008-11 seat, anti vibe ktm bar mounts, KTM skid, Ktm tank bag, ktm twins temp switch, KTM handgaurds, Kouba link 1 inch, and a whole bunch more crap, the only bummer is the seat is about 3 weeks out so its stocker to san felipe.

The AT was by far the best bike so far I have traveled on, but I want to increase my offroad portions of my journeys to at least 30 percent and the AT or any similar bike is still too heavy for that with all your camping gear on it.  The AT was slightly underpowered for a liter bike but it still is the best liter plus tourer Ive owned.

added flatland radiator gaurds, ktm sidestand foot, 16t front sprocket, rally raid tank bolts.

690r_mods_013.JPG

690r mods 006.JPG

690r mods 007.JPG

690r_mods_011.JPG

Very nice! gotta love a dirtbike that can keep up on the highway. Have you busted out the bathroom scale to get a weight before and after?

Glad to see the radiator guards came in.

As for the tank bolts - patenice will win.  A near empty gas tank also helps :) 

I am pretty sure its going to break the 315 claimed pounds when done but hopefully not by much, my drz was about 375 when it was finished. I have noticed the ktm is pretty twitchy kinda like my old days on 2 strokes it was on or off.

Alyeska,

In my opinion, the front geometry is more street by design than the EXCs or your DRZ.  I vaguely remembered a steering head adjustment that helps some.  Found a couple of photos.  The offset is different than pure enduro bikes.  Adjustable a few degrees on the '09. Have fun with the set-up.

i-wVBwcG9-L.jpg

i-kXCsLCr-L.jpg

P1000989_1000w-L.jpg