Sign in to follow this  
stuckthrottle

Woods type riding near San Diego?

Is there anywhere near San Diego that has single track through trees or wooded areas? I know there are some trails by Laguna Hanson in Baja, but looking for something closer. Maybe around pine valley? Thanks.

Are u looking for flowy stuff or slower rocky stuff, pinevalley has some but not much flow mostly hill climbs and some obstacles, mccain depending on where you go has lots of flow to it but no woods

Idyllwild has some but it's fire road through the forest.  San Jacinto Ridge Truck Trail, Bee Canyon Trail (not many trees), Rouse Hill Rd. thru Thomas Mtn.

Tecate. if you want real eastern style woods riding.

11 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

X2

2 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Are u looking for flowy stuff or slower rocky stuff, pinevalley has some but not much flow mostly hill climbs and some obstacles, mccain depending on where you go has lots of flow to it but no woods

What he said.

in our terrain it will be hard to ride full forested areas PNW and NW style stuff, but you can and will find mixed sections of Oak groves and pines in sections, bothlocal and south of the border. You just need to exploit the opportunity and swirl around in those groves --instead of plowing straight through like most folks do. all those trees and bushes are great when taken as corner cones and never connected in a straight line.

Agreed. Was just looking for something I might've missed. I had a bad wreck almost a year ago and am itching to get back on my bike but I wan't to try to stay away from the high speed desert stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

If you don't mind the drive I'll take you into the Sierras.. I've ridden 70 miles of deeply forested ST in a day (~80 miles total) and never got above 3rd gear.  I haven't ridden much this past year and need to get a leg over the bike again. I would like to get up there relatively soon the low and mid elevation trails are still open. 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:22 AM, robertaccio said:

When you say "Tecate" do you mean the Laguna Hanson area?  Or is there a forest closer to Tecate, Mexico?

this about 15mins south of the border on the outskirts of tecate, this was part of the race course, we have run this trail section in both directions at various times. there are a few areas in this valley that are oak groves.

el chale.jpg

this was a hard easy split you can see the pink ribbon.