dstss

Anyone lose a dirt biker?

!2 guys.   Somehow 12 guys all made some very bad decisions and didn't show any common sense.  Not sure why they couldn't get back out.  But if you stray off the main route late in the day, probably not where motorized vehicles are allowed, some the group must have not had lights, fuel range, extra clothing....just sayin'...

The only thing I had going though my head out of 12 there wasn't 1 person with a GPS or smartphone with some kind of gps map on it.   

But I am one of those - got to have a map kind of riders and glad no one got hurt.

I'm just guessing it was a lost+low fuel reason to bail out and call 911.  As bad or worse than no map/gps is ... no matches?  no boy scouts in the group?  That's hard to get ones head around.  I'm guessing these guys are all headed back in with fuel today to get their bikes home.

I'd like to hear the rest of the story...

Maybe some were hypothermic? I dam near died in Mexico from stupidity, never have warmed up yet. I never feel prepared enough anymore.

I cannot imagine 12 guys and not one GPS among them.  Kelly is probably right that there was a fuel issue/breakdown issue and they stuck together.  That is usually safer than splitting into groups and potentially making a rescue situation worse.  But hey, I have gotten lost before too...in broad daylight, with a GPS (and a track), and with a radio.  #dontletmikeylead. #you'refired.

"It is only when you are lost in this world that you truly find yourself".  12 guys on a voyage of self discovery. 

brilliant.      good story. with a good ending regardless.       that first brilliant was stated in a wise ass manner.....

9 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

I cannot imagine 12 guys and not one GPS among them.  Kelly is probably right that there was a fuel issue/breakdown issue and they stuck together.  That is usually safer than splitting into groups and potentially making a rescue situation worse.  But hey, I have gotten lost before too...in broad daylight, with a GPS (and a track), and with a radio.  #dontletmikeylead. #you'refired.

Yet CID and I still ride with you. I consider it my charity cause. Thanks for letting me continue to give. :heh:

At least if they got lost with me, they would have some really good scotch to keep them warm.

22 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Maybe some were hypothermic? I dam near died in Mexico from stupidity, never have warmed up yet. I never feel prepared enough anymore.

About 1,300 ppl/yr die of Hypothermia in the U.S.  And it's not at -5 below zero.  It's typically when temps are in the 40's (above freezing).  That's when folks are typically unprepared, get wet, hurt, stranded and die of exposure.

"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scouts of America

They should have watched a few survivor man episodes.  They had batteries in their bikes, at least some fuel.  A little bit of wire could have been scrounged or a couple metal tools from the tool kit could have been used along with the battery to create a spark.

Some kindling and whatnot, plus gas if they needed it, and a little spark and poof, fire.

I carry a Swedish Firesteel kit and usually some water proof matches with me.  Plus there are other methods.  As long as there is dry fuel, a fire is in the making if necessary.  I practice from time to time too in a safe setting, i.e., not somewhere that will burn down California by a fire getting away from me.  Thankfully, it's never been necessary to build one, other than outside the RV in a fire pit after the ride is over.

There's some good stuff here:  http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

28 minutes ago, darylhunter said:

Well, then they weren't lost, they were camping :)

But they obviously didn't enjoy camping, because they weren't willing to stay the night.  

they are on their recovery hike today... last report had them not at the bikes yet, with only 3 hours of daylight left... current conspiracy theory is that the whole thing is a troll

MAN DOWN