DSM8

Bike tech day Escondido Pt II

Looks like my wife had so much fun riding in the desert last weekend that we're going again this weekend.  A man could have worse problems in his life.

Ok, looks like we're not going riding this weekend so I might swing by.  

In, but Working in the a.m. Reckon I’ll be there 11-12ish. Had my tech day @ Daves last weekend so I’ll be free to help. Don’t know with what other than helping Zubb empty the beer cache and applauding other’s work but, attendance still counts for something, right?

PS- Dave’s shop is VERY well appointed. 

79074E17-0461-4845-B3C3-3B4D041D6A49.jpeg

Looks like a good turnout someone has said something bout doing the throttle cables on an 1150, that would be a NOPE.COM cause having done that job you really need to plan two days for all the little ---- that you will find once your that deep into it

speaking from experience here

IT SUCKS

3 hours ago, tntmo said:

Ok, looks like we're not going riding this weekend so I might swing by.  

Fer christ sake make up your mind :lol:

13 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Fer christ sake make up your mind :lol:

Yeah.....I told her that but you should see the look I got!

47 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Looks like a good turnout someone has said something bout doing the throttle cables on an 1150, that would be a NOPE.COM cause having done that job you really need to plan two days for all the little ---- that you will find once your that deep into it

speaking from experience here

IT SUCKS

Dammit, why can’t you guys just hang out for 2-3 days and completely overhaul my bike while I fetch beers?

i betcha JaJa could whip out that little job in a half hour. 

I’m bringing other “gizmos” as well so I’ll have a small selection of projects to do as time and desire dictates. Valve adjust, maybe valve push rod replacement, install cylinder head guards, bleed stale air out of tires and reinstall fresh air,  steal cool parts off other GS’s while owner is fetching another beer, ya know stuff like that. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

My wife baked a Cake for all you "ABENTEURER" now come and eat.

Wait now?!

bring it tomorrow’s then we will talk

:wub:

11 minutes ago, danrider said:

in

Crap well there goes the neighborhood 

Gates are open

dogs not been fed for two days and their teeth are nice and sharp

who's first ?

Thank you for opening your shop for all of us today, i appreciate all that you did for everyone!!!

Smaller turnout than last time but bigger problems to get sorted will let others post up the details but a frame bolt extraction and assorted fun was had by all. 

Great company and look forward to next time, but still not doing 1150 throttle cables.

?EVER?

?

23 hours ago, Zubb said:

Dammit, why can’t you guys just hang out for 2-3 days and completely overhaul my bike while I fetch beers?

i betcha JaJa could whip out that little job in a half hour. 

I’m bringing other “gizmos” as well so I’ll have a small selection of projects to do as time and desire dictates. Valve adjust, maybe valve push rod replacement, install cylinder head guards, bleed stale air out of tires and reinstall fresh air,  steal cool parts off other GS’s while owner is fetching another beer, ya know stuff like that. 

This is what you call "little Job" right? for the next session i will bring Lemon flavor Air for your tires in a BAG. (but you have to bring a empty bag for recycle)

And now after dinner I sit in the garage and take a Transmission apart. Live is good.

20180210_101813_003[1].jpg

20180202_171002_005[1].jpg

Looking forward to seeing more pictures 

???????

?

Nice photo, Udo.  Those are some fine SDAR folks right there.  I can only imagine the conversation...

Started with the little things...

DSM8 helped with the razor and we peeled off the trailer trash grips I had and put bonafide BMW grips on using the ol’ hairspray trick. 10 minutes and $65 later these actually made the throttle properly again. (Yes, $65 for two pieces of German rubber). 

Then on to the simple 20 minute valve adjust. Except I needed to pull the crash bars to get the cover off. And this is where the law of sequences kicked in. You see, to pull the bars you first need to pull the tank. Once you pull the tank, your fellow club members see all the improper wiring you’ve done previously. Much clicking of the tongue and finger wagging ensues with a decision made to pretend we didn’t see it and move on.

The Ape that owned this bike before had a propensity toward performing feats of strength with his wrench. If I ever find him near an alley someday, his family will forever wonder where he disappeared to, or I’ll be in prison. 

Bolt removal technique required a massive breaker bar and the Blue wrench. A new term to me. It involves a propane torch and various cuss words , which almost always eventually end with ..... awe ----. 

Fortunately I was able to throw a German engineer at the German bike problem and a solution was at hand that involved Australian drill bits, homemade tools on the grinder, a faulty flashlight and 2 Heineken. Note, it is essential to drink German beer under said circumstances above. Thank you Dave for the beer  

I think it only took Udo 2 hours to get the sheared bolt out, thereby saving me 2 days and a trailer ride to my favorite shop to get that dam thing out. 

Meanwhile, DSM8 chided me for not bringing new plugs along since I was ‘in there’ anyway. So I coerced Black8 to jump on his stunning Guzzi and head down the block and grab 4 plugs, which turned into a wild goose chase. (See what I did there?) and he eventually succeeded.  I owe you brother! And Dam, that bike is absolutely gorgeous!

4 plugs for a BMW... another $65. 

At the end I decided to strap the crash bars to the back as they are long overdue for a sand and paint ‘refresh’ and rolled out for home. 

Many thanks to Mike for burgers and Dave for beer and shop and tools and verbal abuse. Let’s face it guys, without me you wouldn’t even have had a challenge yesterday. 

Mike, incoming C note through the donate button here today. All my cash was spent on spark plugs. ?

Zubb

We need to pick a day and have your come down to properly resolve that wiring issue you have a legitimate fire danger under that tank way things are now, do the quick disconnect fuel fittings at the same time.

the verbal abuse is free of charge it alleviate the tensions when having to do mining ⚒ operations before being able to remove a simple spark plug only to find afterwards there were no replacements on hand

You failed to mention that little chore we yad to do 

?

you might also look for black oxide finished bolt to replace the sheard one etc they can be found at better hardware stores while there get a ? extinguisher just in case

Still wont touch the cables but can get you sorted on the other stuff pm me if you decide to do this and n dt time there will be no penance beer since it all went into advbums cooler

good riddance 

Dave thought Kelly needed some new crash bars for his crash bars?6CA4CB64-3BA7-436F-B715-ABD9EFB546D0.thumb.jpeg.343e7cc9b52648005ac1aeb372810c06.jpegA43031A1-3B3F-4A48-9938-759BBF03F3F4.thumb.jpeg.02477ed773280b71d6ae408ba4a8a362.jpeg

Thanks a lot for hosting this Dave???

2 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Dave thought Kelly needed some new crash bars for his crash bars?6CA4CB64-3BA7-436F-B715-ABD9EFB546D0.thumb.jpeg.343e7cc9b52648005ac1aeb372810c06.jpegA43031A1-3B3F-4A48-9938-759BBF03F3F4.thumb.jpeg.02477ed773280b71d6ae408ba4a8a362.jpeg

Thanks a lot for hosting this Dave???

I’m going to mount the elk antlers on front for improved lane splitting. 

3 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Zubb

We need to pick a day and have your come down to properly resolve that wiring issue you have a legitimate fire danger under that tank way things are now, do the quick disconnect fuel fittings at the same time.

the verbal abuse is free of charge it alleviate the tensions when having to do mining ⚒ operations before being able to remove a simple spark plug only to find afterwards there were no replacements on hand

You failed to mention that little chore we yad to do 

?

you might also look for black oxide finished bolt to replace the sheard one etc they can be found at better hardware stores while there get a ? extinguisher just in case

Still wont touch the cables but can get you sorted on the other stuff pm me if you decide to do this and n dt time there will be no penance beer since it all went into advbums cooler

good riddance 

I’m actually thinking about returning said $300 cables. Throttle action is dramatically improved in large part I’m sure from your magical flat washer/Teflon spray mod. 

As for fire, I have much experience riding with my hair on fire, my ass on fire, but never my bike on fire. At the tender age of 13 I watched my dad deep in the Idaho mountains, ride his blazing Yamaha 100 right into a river, but never enjoyed the experience myself. My only fear is there will likely not be a running river nearby when I finally need one. 

I accept the life ring you are tossing me and will let you shoot me a couple dates. I should buy or build a proper fused power strip so we can do it up right. 

Thanks DSM8 for hosting the tech day again. Great to see the SDAR folk helping each other out! 

For Noobs - New people to DualSport/ motorcycle riding, these events are a great way to learn how to change a tire, tube, do general maintenance or upgrades.

Don and Jon saying there goodbyes 

968A7286-6D68-47C4-906F-23B7797323BA.thumb.jpeg.9264b4944af7c59f61ec287834eb6c08.jpeg

The food and beverage table, with the workshop off to the right

932D32DA-903F-4360-8223-A0713D857C88.thumb.jpeg.55156fb38960f0e38a30908853cecafa.jpeg

Get’er done Kelly CE6D2A6A-984E-4AB5-ADCC-84486411BBE5.thumb.jpeg.230e714d3fba9225aafa84dd73355918.jpeg13AA769E-5CE4-43A3-B68B-65DC20683CFA.thumb.jpeg.2304c6b32310efc3e86c4e266cb29545.jpeg

Parts are partsEFC63198-376B-4280-96E6-7D1E719DB590.thumb.jpeg.659f530bd1c991eb509150f0ff2febaf.jpeg8DEB89B2-00F6-4441-A6DF-43C61197D6F9.thumb.jpeg.778ef1969117beb836297aa088d16c15.jpeg

Some kinda Geramanic face signal!B6F515F3-B6EC-433B-B150-804F24FFDBC1.thumb.jpeg.ae3c8face7da41238e22a81245ef6eb7.jpeg

Good to see you all, and nice meeting Don, Mike, and Wayne. Hey Waynne, I read Piratemonkey’s rr last night, what an excellent adventure and write up. If anyone’s interested, it’s on page three of 4 day and longer rides named " 14 legs and 7 wheels ". I’ll go find it a give it a bump.