Sign in to follow this  
isde97

Lake Isabella

I'm looking to go riding later this week/ this weekend with my kids and considering going up to the Lake Isabella area.  I'm looking for 2 track roads and fairly easy trails.  I've never been and a know there are some members who are familiar with the area, so advice would be welcome.

Our backup plan is to go to Hungry Valley, which I think has enough of the terrain I'm looking for.

I too was considering a trip in the near future. Keyesville is your spot. Plenty of atv and jeep trails for the family and access to gobs of singletrack for you. 

Google maps should show you where it is. If not, I'll be happy to fill you in. It's all open camping there and I have a few preferred spots I can direct you to. 

When are you planning your trip? I might be able to join you. 

Just re-read your post. I won't make it this weekend. 

Hungry Valley only has the type of terrain you're looking for. Maybe some more difficult 2 track but even the motorcycle trails are ATV wide.

It is going to have to happen a different time, since both kids have gotten sick.  If anyone wants to go riding between now and New Years at Lark or Corral or whatever, I'm game.

I have riden through Keysville a few times during the Alpine trails ride, awesome stuff around there. I’d also like to take the family up for RV camping and riding, will watch for updates from you guys and hit you up for best spots when I make plans to go.

I'd like to go in the next couple weeks. We can ride the Kern River and Canyon trails to the lookout tower and then Badger Gap back to camp. 60 miles of pristine single track overlooking the canyon.

Ramona, dirt to Big Bear, North from big bear Farnskin to Victorville all dirt (Cox Road), Victorville north on route 66 to Silver lake, dirt o the high of California city, all dirt. than to Lake Isabella. I did this 2-3 months ago solo with the GSA 1150 and Tent.

Look up 3 1/2 day trip north

Looking to make it happen this weekend.  Same general desire, two track trails to take the kids.  If I can break away to do some other exploring, that would be a bonus.  If someone has a cool place to camp, I would be interested in hearing about it.  TIA

The KOA in Weldon (Just east of Lake Isabella) is a nice place. They are very off road friendly. Supporters of Stewards of the Sequoias. It is a KOA...and not like camping in the woods, but I like to mention them when people ask about camping in that area, just because they support the folks who keep all that single track open and maintain it. If you're camping in an RV and want hookups, it is the place to go. Plus...it is the only KOA that has it's own bar. :drinks:

There are trails strait across the road from the KOA but they go singletrack and black diamond real quick. 

I still stand by Keyesville as the place you'll want to ride with the kids. And when you're ready to explore some more difficult single track head up Dutch Flat trail to Snake Pit trail and you'll be happy. The Keyesville classic trail to Kern canyon trail is great too. Not difficult but it is single track on a hillside for most of it. 

Humm im kinda interested in the koa was thinking about going somewhere in April with wife and kids this would be a bonus, is this the place? 

Lake Isabella / Kern River KOA
15627 CA-178, Weldon, CA 93283
(760) 378-2001

https://goo.gl/maps/CRviXzigVSs

Yes. It is a really nice campground with a bar that serves decent pizza. There is a market and gas station a mile down the road and a few restaurants a little further. 

If I could ride this weekend I'd lead you on a single track climb right across the road and into the piute mts. It is a hard rocky climb on single track trail. Worth every minute. Maybe if you go in April I'll tag along, bring my girl, and rent one of the cabins. 

Is Keyesville open camping or do I need to find a spot in a campground?

Keyesville is open camping. I recommend driving in past the toilets and dumpster and taking the first right after Pearl Harbor Dr. You'll go down a slight hill, cross a wash and when you get up the other side take a left and set up camp under the big oak tree. There's only one oak tree but one of the few picnic tables in the park. Try to get there early that one gets nabbed first . If that doesn't work just another spot on the perimeter of the clearing is usually good. It's a big clearing to let the kids putt around while you set up camp

Made it up Saturday night after dealing with some home drama, and did some exploring Sunday and Monday.  Sunday we rode the roads and Jeep trails out past the end of Keyesville road, and then found the Kern Canyon Trail Sunday and rode the first bit of it before running out of time.  Duncan is coming along, he was able to get through the downhill switchbacks by himself.  There looks to be lots more to go back for, and we are looking forward to it.  Thanks to Pasta Pilot for the guidance.

KIMG0109.thumb.jpg.f50e8f740049ac172bb8c0acc4feed47.jpg

KIMG0105.thumb.jpg.85cf17abe7875185405ccec07a1939e2.jpg

Thanks for the info thread. With the local deserts heating up, I will skip KOFA, may have missed it this season, and I may target Weldon KOA (cooler I hope), maybe roll a day down towards Jawbone, and may roll a day north to gain altitude (snow? and no black diamonds please, just want to wander and check things out), and then west if there are nice connectors to get to Keyesvile (ride bike or truck over?) (Gas distance?), find some of those trails (trail maps posted on any website?).  I may wander up that way on one of the next 2-3 weekends (not memorial day) (maybe try to grab an extra day on either side of the weekend to elongate the trip).  Your riding recommendations are appreciated (PM or post). Thanks. Cheers.