Dylan

Ocotillo Wells RV Camping advice

We've had our toyhauler over a year now, and have only camped Ocotillo one weekend out of the 50 we've gone to Glamis, Plaster City and Gordons Well. The last time we were there, it was right after a rainstorm and no one was out there. We stayed just north off the 78 at Alkali trail I believe. West of Pole Line Rd. Wife wants to go here for New Years. We are ideally looking for isolated, but accessible Toyhauler locations that people aren't surrounding us. That being said, if anyone here family oriented is going out between 12/27-1/2 I'd be happy to group up. I camped here as a kid and have done day trips but am not entirely familiar with the good camp spots.

Looks like Holmes Camp is the party spot. I want to be away from there. I have plenty of water and generator fuel to be away from the RV parks and awnings. Does the wind come up out of the west mostly? Much appreciated on the advice as always! Thanks SDAR!

In my experience Main Street and Quarry Road are the busiest spots (the Cove's nearby but a little quieter). Hidden Valley campground tends to be fairly quiet but you're still gonna have plenty of people nearby. Last time I was out I camped east of Pole Line just south of Lake Shore Trail, there's lots of flat land it's easily accessible. You can also explore off of Gas Dome trail west of Pole Line; the road itself is busy but easily accessible for a toy hauler and opens up lots of remote spots nearby. Finally, consider camping in the BLM land south of the park if you want away from people, aside from the shooters along the railroad tracks it tends to be much, much quieter overall. 

We usually camp east of the poleline and if you pick your spot carefully there won't be anyone right on top of you. That said there will be a lot of people camped in the area. We were there at Thanksgiving and it was pretty crowded but no one right next to us and surprisingly not that noisy. New Years we'll be at Superstition.

We typically go out Cahuilla, about a mile or so where the split occurs.  It can be hit and miss with crowds (although I suspect New Years will be crowded most anywhere) but is usually pretty low key.  Easy access to Gas Dome, Pumpkin Patch, Devils Slide, Shell Reef, etc.  I am usually with a group that I grew up with and went to church with, so lots of kids and trying to be good influences (don't know that we always are though!).  Wherever you go, have fun and be safe!

Some great ideas and locations I didn't know existed in here, so I am definitely glad I asked! We tend to gravitate towards gas domes and the surrounding area, so I will probably head that way. I think I'll head out to Cahhuilla and head north until I see more dirt than people. 

Our group consists of motorcycle riders that also own sandrails, so we end up packed in on Gecko Rd or in the Washes on Holiday weekends, and I'm over listening to music at 3am. Time to shake it up!

Much appreciated all! 

A group of my friends normally camp ~.5 mile NW of the intersection of Cahuilla and Gas Dome Rds.........plenty of open space there.........

We had a great camp right off Cahuilla between Commune Road and Gas dome Trail. Overall a great trip, lots of dust, and a fairly quiet New Year! Thanks to all that helped me find a great spot for the family!