RobATK94

Boot replacement time

Whats everyone take on Alpinestars these days?  I have a pair of 5-6 year old tech 7 boots that need to be replaced.  Im seeing a lot of negative feed back on Alpinestars quality of the latest generation of boots. 

Anyone have a current pair and notice obvious issues with their quality?  Was thinking about another pair of tech 7 or maybe tech 8, but if the boots cant hold up or look like they have have been made with cheaper materials, I will move on to some other brand in the 300-400 dollar price range.

i hated my Alpinestars when I bought a pair, and that was over a decade ago.  I mainly hated them, because they were too stiff, too bulky and high profile, so they actually hurt my ankles, and made it hard to feel the shifter and brake or even too move around on the pegs well.  Furthermore, because they were stiff, they actually hurt my knees because they didn't bend at the ankles.  By the time they started to break in, buckles were broken and the boots were basically worn out. I've tried on various models of Alpinestars over the year, since then...but nothing seems to have changed very much in overall fit and feel results.  Since then, I have worn Thor, Gaerne, Fox, Forma and SIDI.  For an expensive boot, the SIDI wins hands down for comfort, articulation, ease of getting in and out, and general ruggedness.  TAs are a bit wider than the SRSs, so if you have a wide foot, those are probably the best choice.  For a less expensive boot, I like the Forma Terrain TX.  For a sub 300 dollar boot, it still comes with an ankle pivot, so it is fairly fast to break in, although I find it somewhat more bulky than theSIDIs.

I think boots are a bit like helmets in that there isn't a single universal solution. When my Tech 3s started wearing out (and I became sick of their buckles) I went to Motoworld determined to get a pair of Sidis. While they seemed like well made boots after trying them on back to back with some Tech 7s the latter were way more comfortable on my foot. I wound up with the Tech 7s and haven't had any issues with them since purchase (and I absolutely love the new buckle system), but strongly recommend trying on a variety of boots prior to making a purchase. 

I bought my last set at Cycle Gear in San Marcos. Long time ago, but the guy there let me take 'em home. He said try 'em out. Wear 'em for an hour or two, but just stay on the carpet. I thought that was cool, that he let me "test drive" them. I ended up with Sidi. The Alpinestars I tried just weren't comfortable for me. The Sidis have held up well. 2 sole changes and the rest of the boot is still in really good shape.

SIDI very solid for hits, SIDI low toe box as well, "shovelnosed" very nice for shift pedal control. New SRS seem to be a wider build, my former SRS were always a little snug in width, my TAs were quite a bit wider feeling, the new SRS ones are not snug in width like the previous ones. Do these boots make me look wide?

Sidi is it for me, I have a knee surgery to thank heavy apinestars for.