carlos

USB Adaptor

I've been through two USB adaptors in less than a month, and would like a recommendation for a robust USB adaptor. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

I actually have that one, but there are 2 problems with it: it's a single USB - I need one for the phone and one for Spot, and it's awkward to mount on the bar. 

-Highly recommend having the spot on your person and not on your bike. If you get separated from your bike in an incident and cant get to the bike because of injury or its down a cliff you are screwed, it happened to Kurt Caselli during the Baja 1000, he was conscious for over an hour but couldn't get to his bike. 

As Jim points out the gen 3 runs a very long time on the recommended Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. I ran mine for a three-week ride and it was not even close to being dead. I now run rechargeables to save money and carry backup lithiums. Sure wish it would charge with the usb port.

"There are three ways you can power your SPOT: 4 AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium 8x batteries (included), 4 AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries, or with line power through a 5v USB connection. Keep your batteries installed, even when using line power, to ensure proper system performance in the event line power should fail. Please note: NiMH batteries cannot be charged within the SPOT unit using line power, and SPOT Gen3 is not waterproof while being line powered."

-I have this on my bike but have only about 400 miles on it, no problems so far...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3I12JQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Highly recommend having the spot on your person and not on your bike

The Caselli story turned out to be tragic. Also happened to a guy riding B to V a few years ago. This one could have been tragic too. He was separated from his bike. Broken hip. Could not move. His bike was only 6 feet away from him. 100's of riders passed him but could not see him. He also did not have a whistle. A BLM ranger stopped on the side of the road to pee and found him. Lucky dude.

Thanks guys, very good recommendations on the Spot. I thought I'd read that the Lithium batteries only lasted 4 days, but 3 weeks changes the equation totally. I'll keep it on myself then. And I'll look into your USB recommendation for the phone.

4 hours ago, amgems said:

Check out these offerings from Amphenol: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/18/Amphenol Catalog-1156697.pdf

Military grade stuff. Available from Mouser.

Touratech has some bar mount types.

The spot will run for a very long time on internal battery.

Link goes to the full catalog- maybe a part number??

I also keep my Spot secured to my body (Klim Arsenal vest) for the reasons mentioned above. The lithium batteries do last a long time and even during week long trips, I've never had to change the batteries (yes, I carry back-ups). I make sure to turn it off at night and then back on in the morning though.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, paulmbowers said:

Link goes to the full catalog- maybe a part number??

The USB conns start on page 25. I didn't really have any specific one in mind. Just throwing the info out there. Some of those military type connectors look pretty tough, could probably be adapted to a bike with a simple sheet metal bracket. Mouser is like the McMaster - Carr for electronic components. They are fast and I don't think there are any minimum qty orders. Digi-Key is good like that too.

Thanks for the info Jim, when my cheapskE starts letting go I know what to do.