Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

Jetting for XR650L

Saturday was the Escondido Christmas parade and as usual I needed to go in to town to pick up some stuff and run a few errands.  The bike is great for this day as I can zip around traffic and not be held up too much.  I had not ridden the bike for a few months and have been meaning to rejet the carb and this ride brought it back to the front.

All I've really done to the bike is pull the smog garbage and put an FMF muffle in place of the stock unit.  If I read Dave's mods it looks like I want a 155/58 jet combo, but I really do not want to do the whole mod.  I went down to Moto Forza (I like those guys and a jet is a jet right, so why not get from them?) but started thinking that I may not have the right jet combo so didn't get them.  I know they are cheap, but I would rather do this once and done.  Do you guys have any input or is this really kind of a hit and miss until it feels right?  How about setting the needle height?  I might be over thinking this but the bike feels a bit constipated and I know there is more there to be had and I would like to clean it up a bit.

Thanks!