karlaeda

Upper Coyote Canyon, Bailey's cabin

Hey gang, 

I want to see if anybody has been down from Anza to Bailey's cabin recently. I'm looking for an insider scoop on road conditions. I have been through that lower section a long time ago and the roads were mostly flat and sandy.

Any significant rock gardens on the way now? 

Going to take a Subaru Crosstrek through there and don't want to get stuck half way. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Dirt Dame went down awhile back, you might pm her. Could look for recently posted YouTube vids. 

That’s on my bucket list. 

Shouldn't be too bad.  The rock garden sections of the grade going in have been cleaned up a lot since the old days.

I was out in Coyote Canyon [Lower - Sheep Canyon] Thanksgiving Week.  There is no rock garden anymore going in through Borrego.  No rain so not much water to get through.  It's really sandy and soft on the desert floor.

Miggy

56 minutes ago, Miggy said:

I was out in Coyote Canyon [Lower - Sheep Canyon] Thanksgiving Week.  There is no rock garden anymore going in through Borrego.  No rain so not much water to get through.  It's really sandy and soft on the desert floor.

Miggy

Bummer 2 years ago camped at bottom of rocky hill climb in turnout was awesome spot, they graded it then and I saw a nissan rogue awd go up such a disappointment back in the day that was a challenge 

I think you guys are thinking of the Borrego Springs side of the canyon? 

I was thinking of coming in from Anza. 

5 hours ago, karlaeda said:

I think you guys are thinking of the Borrego Springs side of the canyon? 

I was thinking of coming in from Anza. 

Anza is the only way in to the cabin and Alder canyon.  The road through has been closed for may years at the middle willows.

did you make it out?  I went out there a few weeks ago and had to turn around because the gate was still closed.  Want to make it back out there one of these days.

Is there any way to get from the cabin side to Borrego Springs, other than the closed road?  On the maps I have I didnt see anything, but I know my stuff doesnt cover what "really" out there.  I would love to find a connector.  If i remember correctly I think the only other way is to go back and around and slab it to S-2 and go from there.

Hey Rob,

The gates are open now.

Long story short - no. We took my buddy's 2wd truck, we made it to the desert floor, ran out of day light and went back up the next morning.

There are few places on the trail that are nasty for 2wd and actually had to pull that truck out with the second vehicle that went with us.

As far as Borrego springs route - you can drive up just before the road closure and hike from there - I reckon it's about 2-4 miles in. No motorized vehicles can go through the canyon.