HacksawPete

Meeting Malcolm Smith

I’ve been doing some volunteer pit crew work for an organization called Mag 7.   It’s a fun way to get involved with Baja racing and have a little adventure too.   Several times while wearing a Mag 7 tee shirt people have commented something along the lines of “we would not have finished … without your help”.   For me, it would really be satisfying to be the guy who was able to make the fix and get someone going again.  

On Dec 2, 2017, I was at the Tecate enduro remote pit and someone pointed out Malcolm Smith is here.  Turns out he had used Mag 7 pit services before and was happy to sit under our shade.   After a while I got to sit next to him and make some small talk.  The only thing I could think of was that this guy got to ride with Steve McQueen.  I later read his bio and realized it was Steve McQueen that got to ride with Malcolm Smith.  Anyway, Malcolm is 76 years old and seemed friendly, happy, content and doing well for his age.   It was very cool that I got to talk to him.  

Soon afterward a guy pulls into our pit with an exhaust pipe (expansion chamber) bent badly enough that it had pulled out of the head.  I start working with second Mag 7 team member to see if we can get this rider going again.  Not having done this before I think it would be fair to say we were struggling at the task.   Next thing I know, Malcolm Smith is kneeling down in the dirt taking on the job.  It was immediately obvious he knew what needed to be done and we starting helping him.   I was now working with a man that seemed twenty years younger than the guy I was just talking to.  I saw a look of drive and determination in him that I think is rare at any age.   Perhaps it’s no wonder that he is a racing legend.   We got the exhaust back on and our rider going again.  Actually, Malcolm Smith got our rider going again and I got to help him.   Made my day.  

Malcolm_Smith_far_left.jpg

Malcolm_Smith_fixing_bent_exhaust_pipe.jpg

Malcolm_Smith_Getting_the_fix_done.jpg

Malcolm_Smith_with_Pete_Molloy.jpg

I saw him when i came in at pit 2 he was parked next to our pit truck, super friendly chatted with him for a couple minutes

Cool story.

I had a chance to hang out with and ride with him during the 24 hour at Glenn Helen about 20 years ago. Very cool dude.

Back in the 80's I got the idea of mounting extra footpegs on the engine cases of my bike from seeing Malcolm down in Tecate with his son Alexander riding in front. Malcolm let me borrow his set-up to copy. Super nice guy.

Yeah, I've met him a few times. Just a normal guy when you talk to him....what a great guy !

Great story, thanks for sharing.

VERY cool indeed! I got to meet him/take pics with him prior to the start of the Baja 500 way back in the '70's....he was riding a Husqvarna (with a right side shifter)...same event got to meet/take pics with Parnelli Jones...he was driving a Ford Bronco (painted like an Olympia beer can)...thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

VERY cool indeed! I got to meet him/take pics with him prior to the start of the Baja 500 way back in the '70's....

Jeeze you're old.

22 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Jeeze you're old.

Trying to keep up with you "whipper-snappers"...Good thing for beer and advil...;)