Thanksgiving week was approaching and I knew I had to get a ride in.....

But, not out there near ocotillo wells on opening day of riding season with the multitudes, and not squeezed in between thanksgiving and then back to work.... and not with holiday traffic, either direction....  so preferably early in the week so lounging comes easier back at home at the end of the week (knowing I had already had an adventure).  Had a couple ideas...

I threw out the line, but only a couple of nibbles, so.... Sunday rolled in and I still didn't have plans, and the chore list was getting longer. So, around 4 pm on Sunday, I told my gal I was headed out for a couple days, didn't know where, solo. She asked if I wanted some company, ok, so we packed up the truck and headed east, no destination in mind.

We rolled into Yuma around 9 pm Sunday night and I knew things were going my way when I asked her to put in her vons card at the gas pump and it said that we could have $1 per gallon discount!!  Heck, we were only going to pay $2.45, so now it would be $1.45 a gallon.  Nice  :)

Cruised over to Imperial Dam and paid $15 dollars to have a magnificent campspot over-looking the Reservoir near Imperial Dam.  A couple/few cold ones with the stars fully visible to the horizon, Nice  :)

A beautiful red sunrise and a casual drive over to Lake Martinez.  She got to read in the sun while I hoped on my bike and rode over to Hidden shores via the dirt/rock/sand shortcut (orange-red ish on the map).  I had always wanted to do that, and I got to do it twice!  Nice  :)

IFTD7349.thumb.jpg.3aa9198a081bfc9bf9ccff0bdacf4ffe.jpg

5a14fd01ee088_HiddenshoresMartinez.png.a9b463fb6df3f5fc2b225119570500b4.png

IMG_4133.thumb.JPG.f72e73e049c92af116b4e1da35bcc91d.JPG

After a great ride, lunch and some lounging by the river, we cruised out to KOFA.  I thought about roaming out that way, but we had a good groove going so we kept cruising up to Blythe.  West on the hiway 10 for a bit, then we turned south on 78 toward Palo Verde.  Was thinking about Picacho, but I had her pull over as we crossed Bradshaw trail. I suggested that she drive ahead to the Salton Sea, and get a campsite at the "Fountain of Youth", and that I would meet her there in about 2.5 hours after I rode Bradshaw trail.  So I unloaded the bike, geared up, and we planned to meet at the campsite.  She proceeded south (to go all the way around...), and I headed west on a trail I had never seen before.  Heck, it was only 80 miles of rock/sand/gravel to navigate, wide open desert, riding solo, Nice  :)

IMG_4142.thumb.JPG.23e00cada9a1f6d4b9cca39cdae37074.JPG

Oh my, it was cool, and the afternoon sun highlighted the surrounding mountains, and the road was nice enough to ride comfortably between 35 - 60 mph.  I was riding about as fast as I could going solo on a road I had never seen before and the road did seem to have the potential to have a tight corner on occasion that would be a bit too hot for my skill set, and a few random 2-3 foot drops due to cross flashflood ravines cutting across the road.... and some long deep sand stretches.....but open it up, keep your eyes open and alert.....  and enjoy the smiles from ear to ear....  wishing my buds were riding along!  Nice  :)

I think this was about mile 50

IMG_4144.thumb.JPG.9bcb9f01e83e255f576f17f2508861ca.JPG

The road eventually turned from Bradshaw to Summit, and headed towards the train trestle, the Salton Sea in the background  Nice  :)

IMG_4148.thumb.JPG.75ed23fbc18f653b2433138cbb89759a.JPG

So, you might be wondering if there was even 1 moment of funky - ness... and yes, the road from this trestle west for a few miles was the worst gnarly washboard I had ever ridden on, heck, it was not fun, and I couldn't even imagine why I couldn't find a line, or a speed, or any secret anything to ease the vibration... heck,  I have been riding for over 3 years now, so you would think I could find some remedy!!   haha, oh well, still Nice  :)

5a14fd3f65add_Bradshaw2017-11-20.png.60ed5fcbca70d53463530951b8310458.png

I pulled into the campground, saw my truck, it was just like coming home, and I didn't even need to use the Ham Radio to find my gal. A massive big meal, warm pools, very, very clean showers and facility, beers and then cocktails for dessert, feet up on the footstool, oh my, the Fountain of Youth campground had so many happy people walking around....  heck, it was super Nice  :)

I wonderful casual morning, ..... yep, that was this morning, and a big breakfast, and a cruise over to Glamis North RV campground to rent a RZR.  If you look at the map above, you will see a little outcropping of a orange figure 8 ish to the west of the canal road towards the Salton Sea.  That was the RZR route this morning.

We hoped into a 800 and flew around the Bat Caves, washes, Oasis, Canal road, etc...  laughing and bouncing all the way.  Heck, might need to buy one someday.....  but my guess is that may have been the intent by renting one..  Nice  :)

IMG_4172.thumb.JPG.25aac63adbb9b2cfeca25aa6a22ad8e9.JPG

Well, now back in town, and a couple days off coming my way..... It was a truly wonderful 44 hour trip.....   and "how sweet it is" knowing that I have already had a mighty fine adventure to start the week.  Nice  :)  ,

All the best to all the SDAR riders, and their families, on this holiday!  cheers.

Sound like a cool little trip. I think about doing this kinda of thing all the time, but the reality of kids in the house and a job that is more than full time, reminds me that it's not quite my time to be spontaneous. Soon!

Great trip.  My kids are out of the house, but now it's the darn dogs that keep us from spontaneous adventures.  

Heading to AZ in the morning for Thanksgiving.  Looking forward to the upcoming desert season and being back in Ocotillo.  Great write up and gets the juices flowing; Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Nice!  I had a home at hidden shores for years when my kids where young, I taught my son and daughter how to ride on those grounds.  I would love to take some guys from the club and do a couple of nights that way.  Great Ride.

You can take Red Cloud Rd. all the way back then it will turn into a wash that will take you to Walters Camp or you can take dirt to Blyth,  lot of possibility's that way.

12 hours ago, tntmo said:

Great trip.  My kids are out of the house, but now it's the darn dogs that keep us from spontaneous adventures.  

Bingo!

18 hours ago, tntmo said:

I thought that's why I have a Wife.

34 minutes ago, Kiwi Wayne said:

I thought that's why I have a Wife.

That's what I do.  She wanted the dogs, so she can watch them while I go on adventures....but now she's gone for a week and I'm stuck watching these mutts!

Your wanderings are always so entertaining, great rr.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your gal, and to all of SDAR