Greenhorn

KLR Ride - Anza Borrego 11-21-2017

One for the new, semi - new ADV type riders, as I think I fall into that category, me and my KLR  :)

I'm staying in  Borrego Springs for couple days to ride, was going to post but wasn't sure till the last minute what my plans were, where I would be staying... Ended up staying {in my trailer) at the Palm Canyon "Resort" ;) which is ok, the pool and Jacuzzi were nice at the end of the ride today.  Don't really know the area too much, just had a few places in mind to ride to.

So this morning starting from  Borrego Springs I rode out Yaqui Pass and over and out past Scissor Crossing, through Shelter Valley to Blair Valley.  I have wanted to see the Indian Pictographs there. Fun dirt road in and then hiked the mile to the pictographs, plus another bit for a fantastic view of the desert floor. This is a good 5 miles dirt ride anyone can do and it has a neat payoff if you walk the mile or so.

From there I got back on S2 and rode to the Vallecito County Park to see the old Mail Stage Coach Stop. Lots of history out in the desert. Very nice 2 lane ride, only came across a few cars all the way out and back.

Headed back towards Borrego Springs but took S2 north up to the S22 and went through Ranchita and then down Montezuma - Borrego hiway back into Borrego Springs for lunch and gas, Needed gas as I had been out to the Salton Sea the afternoon prior.

Next I headed out to Ocotillo Wells. Rode out Split Mountain road. Went out the Elephant Tree road for a while but didn't see much and the road got a little iffy, mostly the rocks. As I was solo and just riding I decided to headed back to Split Mountain road.

Continued on Split Mountain road and got to the Gypsum mine, had never been out there, out Split Mountain Road for that matter. Got to the end, turned around and followed the train tracks (east?) for a while and then turned around as not sure where that went. Looked like lots of shooting in that areas, gathered up some copper casings for fun.

Turned back towards Ocotillo Wells and decided to go up Fish Creek Wash. What a  ride! Got loose a few times :o, but that was about it. Have to be sure and stay off the center line, sand gets deep there :P Got to the Wind Caves I think it's called? A little tired by then so did not do the hike to see what that was about. The geology in that area is spectacular. The ride out and back took a while and so I Great ride, great history, great geology... Great KLR. I chugged it hard a couple of times in the sand and it kept on going. Grabbed and dropped the clutch hard a couple times, no complaints. Dang KLR treated me well.

Left about 8:30 am and got back about 4 pm. I guess about 125 -150 miles.

A good day of riding of sure.

NICE RIDE.Sounds like fun. I want to check out those wind caves sometime. Next time you find yourself on split mtn rd, make sure to grab a cold one @ the Iron Door!