Kiwi Wayne

The Best Roads in the World

I recently had a vacation in Europe with the wife and discovered this.

After getting off a cruise ship in Venice we rented a car and headed north into the Alps. We had booked a hotel in a little town called Cortina D Ampezzo and for 4 days  just headed off in each direction to see what we could find. Every day we were on perfect mountain switchback roads. The roads were impeccable with guys way out in the mountains blowing leaves off! There were huge washes coming out of the mountains that I guess were decomposed granite, good for building roads and they probably don't get baked in the summer to screw up the asphalt. I think we lucked out on timming as we were between seasons so there were no other bloody tourists and it was perfect weather in the fall.

The temps were around 10c and I spoke to a few guys on bikes who said this area is very popular in the summer for obvious reasons. Also spoke to a few germans in there Porsche's out for a rip. Turns out this was the famous Staller pass which is one way. light goes green for 15 mins. Looked like a starting grid at the track with everone lining up in there Audi's,Beemers etc waiting for the green at the top of the hr. most had just come up and turned around.

Staller Pass (top) is on the Austria/Italy border. Couldn't see a Kug Sticker

While the wife was asleep I found a nice little gravel road with a sign that said something like Castelle 4km,  Hmmm.

Some more roads.

I like roads.

I have traveled many continents of our planet and this was the awesomeist roads I have found. Better than my native New Zealand No wonder they breed good moto gp riders.

Anyway I felt this was worth sharing and was an awesome little getaway with a little adventure and if anyone is interested in more info I would love to share tracks.

OK I guess the cruise was worth 1 photo this is the wife in Kotor, Montenegro which was a pretty cool place (Bloody Tourists)

h9thTYbg5nwPJUNZ8bPtj41iRHyqjvtlfDW1GpKj85cpX92IB.jpe

BLqW6J48s_KkPJUbOE2u8_zcQJe1417KUDmAVlowBd4pX92IB.jpe

s7ehMUDYUsUBWUv22U0r0W2mCapWphsqG5tCEtiJZZcpX92IB.jpe

hFRvqTk8ezucADWIagEyVbyoGJG2H4-eB0nxPVgeXn8pX92IB.jpe

RRGhifrbK_ZZk-KpgjnHHirMuyoH6fuj3RdEAmyH8nMpX92IB.jpe

xILOVRCrGjZ4M6tT_lQ401iNwzcQuD67ct01kb5Qza0pX92IB.jpe

svWtM5yMuDEeCLaLNHmwjhGwDqpIc6QgLualAvaG9NwpX92IB.jpe

nEBdNCh1YelRj-Dl7E7_iyK1MpmjdGaj3QHJMR5OUvspX92IB.jpe

XTKeGvdVCITz8oIwSnVFNWrTdGvYwHlUVYl90CzFUhApX92IB.jpe

V72JrUregEl7mOMLWKwrWkQc2wWI8DLzoLJGV9uh1DkpX92IB.jpe

QqUbRj282gjdDE3u_R-g00IaJ8B0NwsIbzJWz7W9aqopX92IB.jpe

Edited by Kiwi Wayne
computers suck. Dont have these issues with a motorcycle

Help with photos -   Click the " Insert other media " box at lower right of window. Choose Insert media from URL. Paste your hosted photo in the window. 

Go story, thanks for working up the narrative. 

The Governor

That blows. took me like 2 hrs to compose that. Should stick to riding motorcycles

Thanks for info bags. I tried pasting both the photo and the text but just keep getting the red light. From Amazon Prime photos

Holy cow!

Thanks for taking the time to fix the pics.  I have to go there now!

WOW!

And you didn’t rent a bike for those twisties?

Thanks for sharing, great photos ??

Everything about northern Italy was cool. From the roads to the people to drinking beer with the locals in the hotel Pizzeria.

Jim. I was drooling about being on a bike but had to settle on the VW Golf Diesel to accommodate the wife. One noticeable thing was every country we went to there were Wee Stroms!  Also the drivers noticeably more thoughtful than here. maybe they haven't discovered texting yet!

Sooo many photos. I felt like a Japanese Tourist. Sorry Folks. The gold mountains were taken on the bridge in the second photo at fist sun peeking over the huge mountains behind me.

This is from our hotel room

emrKKmAGvJWgbjwYn_Sz9acQYiFM7I3KUDicpDipDB4pX92IB.jpe

HW4PbUkuZeFlqZn135D6IDQIPa-IVPDozDf8-AMpfiApX92IB.jpe

EyRXYppmLNTgHsyQ2VtEhOjKQ3VkWqIx3SGz37DYZx4pX92IB.jpe

wow.  There's a lot of places on my bucket list, but this stuff really pulls at me.  I have to go!