BriKman

Tire Sliced - Run it or not?

Brand new bike, brand new tire. Second day out hit something that sliced it like butter. Hate to throw tire with less than 50 miles in the trash but also don’t want I‎t coming apart on me or tube expanding through. Definitely a weak spot but curious to see what others thing, run it or not?

image.jpg

That’s a tough one. I’d hate to throw a new tire away, but I’d also hate to have it give out 50 miles out on a 100 mile ride. 

CiD

Change it out,,,,you need the practice with trail only tools anyway.   Aaand,  how do you know the tube is intact?  Be it the 101 like JAJA or 50 miles from the pavement.  There enough variables out there without that risk. 

B) Walking from Vista del Malpas,  you would be kicking yourself.

I'd say if you are primarily using it off road, dismount it and put a patch on the inside. You can't run it like that off road because you'll easily pop the tube. If running on the street primarily, I just change it out.

Brik - Can't tell the tire brand or tube/mouse type, or if it's the front or rear tire from the post. I assume the tube is not leaking? IMHOP, unless it's a D606 tire and an EXTRA heavy duty tube/mouse, better to change 'em out vs. chancing shredding 'em both out on the next ride...on the trial, or even worse if it happens on the slab! IMHOP...change both the tire and tube/mouse...better safe than sorry...just MHOP 

The cautious side of me beat out the cheap and lazy side, I must be getting OLD! New tire mounted and ready to go... hardest part was being careful not to scratch the pretty blue wheels!

image.jpg

At least you can use it for something.

Image result for tire wreath

11 hours ago, BriKman said:

The cautious side of me beat out the cheap and lazy side, I must be getting OLD! New tire mounted and ready to go... hardest part was being careful not to scratch the pretty blue wheels!

Keep it as spare with a patch inside for Off road use only. We use to take a leather patch from old Motorcycle boots and fixed it inside.

11 hours ago, BriKman said:

image.jpg

11 hours ago, tntmo said:

At least you can use it for something.

Image result for tire wreath

I've gone down that path........but I've never used a "new" tire for a wreath........that's crazy talk :crazy: