La Mesa Mike

Easy ride for beginners (input wanted)

Hey folks, I have a few friends that are just getting back into riding, I'd like to take them out this weekend and would like some input on an easy dirt road to ride.  I'd prefer a loop, but out and back is OK.

I'm looking for 30-50 miles, Dirt, mostly graded road, as I'd like them to ease back into riding.  All the bikes are plated, but I'd prefer as little pavement as possible.  I can trailer the bikes as needed.

Thanks for any Ideas.

Mike

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D79U7nL4M3OG8s3hpb-x0S8cLGMtUE4r&usp=sharing

Pine Valley to Indian Protrero Trail.  Park at the Post office in PV, pavement to Pine Creek, turns into jeep road. View in Satellite or Terrain. Starts as single paved lane then at top of first canyon turns to forest road as you turn north off pavement. Hard right at second summit marked by single large Oak. Top of Portrero is beautiful mixed Pine/Conifer forest. I would turn around at the forest as the drop to Sunrise Hwy is loose and rutted in places.

The pavement has little traffic but occasional truck coming at you!

If brave enough to drop onto Sunrise, you can travel north up to the gate opposite Lucky 5 Ranch Rd. and travel a somewhat slick DG two track over to a desert view. ( Dead End )

Have Fun

Viegas Grade to Boulder Creek to Cedar Creek tt to Eagle Peak road and then back on Boulder Creek again unless you want slab through Cuyamaca’s. All graded except Cedar Creek tt. 

Just now, Wierdrider said:

Viegas Grade to Boulder Creek to Cedar Creek tt to Eagle Peak road and then back on Boulder Creek again unless you want slab through Cuyamaca’s. All graded except Cedar Creek tt. 

I was going to put the same thing.  Probably the easiest noob ride around.  Plus, the decomposed granite is good practice.

9 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Pine Valley to Indian Protrero Trail.  Park at the Post office in PV, pavement to Pine Creek, turns into jeep road. View in Satellite or Terrain. Starts as single paved lane then at top of first canyon turns to forest road as you turn north off pavement. Hard right at second summit marked by single large Oak. Top of Portrero is beautiful mixed Pine/Conifer forest. I would turn around at the forest as the drop to Sunrise Hwy is loose and rutted in places.

If brave enough to drop onto Sunrise, you can travel north up to the gate opposite Lucky 5 Ranch Rd. and travel a somewhat slick DG two track over to a desert view. ( Dead End )

Have Fun

X2 awesome route short and sweet but very scenic

Edit: do this after their 2nd or 3rd time on dirt there are a couple spots that aren't graded, do the boulder creek route,

Fyi to anyone else pine valley loop and corral canyon main road are in process or planned very soon to be graded smooth 

I'm a noobie myself and did an interesting short ride last weekend, a border run from Campo to Jacumba. The most challenging part was a steep climb and descent with deep grooves, and the border wall shade.

--Carlos

Border Run Campo-Jacumba.GPX

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

22 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

This sounds promising, I'm looking at google maps, is Cedar Creek TT the road that heads NW from the Three Sisters Falls Trailhead, and connects to Eagle Peak?  Would it be advisable to take Boulder Creek, to Eagle Peak, then Cedar Creek TT back to Boulder Creek? 

Also, further down Eagle Peak, it looks like it connects to Tule Springs Rd, and that heads east back to Boulder Creek, Is that doable?  that would be about a 40 mile loop from that start of the Dirt at Boulder Creek.

Also, I'm wondering where to park, I could skip the Viejas part and paved Boulder road and it looks like there is a graded turnout area just after Boulder Creek turns to a dirt road, is ok to park there?

Once again, I'm trying to keep this to Dirt only, or as little asphalt as possible, and I would need a place to park truck/trailer as well.

Thanks so much for the Ideas thus far, and If anyone wants to join us, We will be doing it this Saturday.  Just be ready to go S L O W, as I will have 3 guys that used to ride (Mostly street from what I can tell) with me.

23 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Have Fun

I like this run as well, I did part of Pine Creek with Uncle Champ's ride recently, and I think it would be a good road for them.  To get to Indian Indian Potrero Rd from Pine Creek Rd, do you just take Deer Park Rd alongside the Creek?  Or do you need to take Pine Creek Rd to Sunrise, then North to Indian Potrero?

I guess at some point, we just need to "start exploring" and figure it out ourselves.  

Thanks for the route, we will check this one out as well.

Mike

1 hour ago, carlos said:

I'm a noobie myself and did an interesting short ride last weekend, a border run from Campo to Jacumba. The most challenging part was a steep climb and descent with deep grooves, and the border wall shade.

--Carlos

Border Run Campo-Jacumba.GPX

Interesting, I never knew you could ride along the border fence, No issues with BP harassing you?

I was on the border road from Campo to Tecate (lunch) and back last Saturday. Smooth and a little slippery , no hassles from the BP. You could start from my house or unload in Campo down by the hardware store or VFW or.

You could do the route either way, and yes a about where Cedar Creek is. Thule is off limits I think. Parking would be iffy on BC? 

No BP harassing, on the contrary, if you stop and talk to them, they'll appreciate it. It must be very boring just sitting there in a car looking at the desert. 

I haven't tried Campo to Tecate yet, just Campo to Jacumba (eastwards). And thoroughly enjoyed the climbs and descents, although the sphincter was working overtime to keep things under control.

Mike, 

The terrain map omits the pine Creek link north toward Lucky Five Ranch but satellite shows . Dirt all the way to hard right at big oaK

Dave