Mr.JAJA

Shifter lever broken

What would you do? 
I rode today to LA traffic on the 101. During the normal slow traffic I had to shift down to the first gear in the number 1-2 lane and "peng" the Transmission stayed in Neutral. Not able to shift I pushed the bike thru traffic to the side lane, to check the problem. The broken part is the 5 adjustment holes that broke off and the linkage dangling free.130 mile away from home on a busy freeway on ramp, cars rushing behind my As... I lay next to the bike and fixed it with parts I had on my bike to make it home save.
Has any one similar problem with this shifter?special with this adjuster section?
Picture of the fix will come tomorrow.

Touratech shifter.jpeg

No fix/input from me on this, but glad you are okay.  That is a busy area and this could have been worse; glad you are safe!

Here my temporary and final fix.

Clamp from the charcoal canister as temporary fix on the freeway, to get me home and now the final fix at home.

DSC00942.JPG

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00945.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

I like to see people's solutions to problems when they are out away from home....helps give me ideas if I ever need to use them.  I grew up on a farm, so I became pretty good at fixing things with what we had on hand.  

Nice job getting it home, good repair!

Looks pretty weak with all those holes in it. I'd replace it with a different one. That one could break again.

7 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Looks pretty weak with all those holes in it. I'd replace it with a different one. That one could break again.

There is nothing weak on it except the adjuster holes for the Ball joint.

what's the purpose of the aerospace  UMPCO "Adel" cushion clamp loop (with no cushion)?

7 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

what's the purpose of the aerospace  UMPCO "Adel" cushion clamp loop (with no cushion)?

The clamp hold my Charcoal canister before I used it to fix my broken shifter on the 101 in LA. see first picture.

The ball joint is apart of the shift linkage to the transmission. And this is how it is connected. Now is back and working again, just stronger.

01-041-0632-01.jpg

Mr. J,    Sorry to say - That is the most labor intensive piece of " engineering " I have ever seen.  The stock part. 

Bags