I'm trying to ease my girlfriend into going on Baja adventures with me, and I'm planning to start with an easy pavement-only trip to wine country this weekend. The problem is I don't know a damn thing about wineries, and I've never been to Valle de Guadalupe. I always just get on the dirt and ride South. I'm hoping some of our Baja experts with more refined tastes can help me out.

Any suggestions for wineries/restaurants/itineraries would be greatly appreciated. Where are the best wineries? Which ones can be done in the same day? Where is a good place to stay that won't break the bank? I'll be two up with a girl who is a little apprehensive about motorcycles and Mexico, so I want it to be as easy and laid back as possible, so she can feel comfortable.

grab a map from the intertube and begin your journey. or you will hear 100s of opinions of where to go, shooting from the hip on the ruta del vino Ensenada has always worked for us.

we stayed at Quatrro quadros and other spots  and most every winery we went to was fine.

Paul Bowers introduced me to Deckman's.  My wife loved it when I took her there.....nice and easy drive/ride from Tecate....the winery in the back is so-so.....Deckman's is all about food not wine......hit a few wineries then eat at Deckman's.....make a reservation or be prepared to wait....

https://deckmans.com/

My current favorite winery is Bruma- the wine is great, but the vinicola itself is beautiful. Finca Altozano is a favorite for dining- the Pulpo Pacifico is tremendous, as is just about everything else. Prepared Chocolate Clam (it's not chocolate) is excellent, and the shortrib taco is the best.

Cocina Doña Esthela is delicious for lamb barbacoa (birria).

Deckman's is easily among the top 10 anywhere.

Accomodations are expensive- I can't help much about that. But I'd certainly suggest getting a reservation- it's all the rage now. Ensenada is the most affordable, but I won't get on the bike at night nor after 11 glasses of the local vino, so I stay local and pay the $$$.

When I ride down, I generally cross at TJ, ride south on the toll road until about La Fonda, then hit the libre which turns inland- twisty and scenic, and avoids Ensenada. There's a turnoff to Valle- goes left- get a map, you'll want it. I leave up the 3 to Tecate, and on the bike spend about 3 minutes in line. Your passport helps, your driver's license will work in a pinche.

NOTE: EVERY US CITIZEN is supposed to stop at the border and get a stamped FMM (tourist card) regardless of how far or how long you're in Mexico. There are no exceptions. That said, very few people actually stop for it- in fact, I don't know anyone who does, except me. So what's the big deal you might ask?

Nothing, if you don't get stopped or in a crash of some sort. Then it gets interestinger. Some Mexican auto (bike) insurers will use your lack of an FMM to refuse paying the claim. For others, it LE wants to get tough with you, your lack of an FMM is an excellent reason. You're free to proceed however you wish, but that's the law.

54 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

My current favorite winery is Bruma- the wine is great, but the vinicola itself is beautiful. Finca Altozano is a favorite for dining- the Pulpo Pacifico is tremendous, as is just about everything else. Prepared Chocolate Clam (it's not chocolate) is excellent, and the shortrib taco is the best.

Accomodations are expensive- I can't help much about that. But I'd certainly suggest getting a reservation- it's all the rage now. Ensenada is the most affordable, but I won't get on the bike at night nor after 11 glasses of the local vino, so I stay local and pay the $$$.

When I ride down, I generally cross at TJ, ride south on the toll road until about La Fonda, then hit the libre which turns inland- twisty and scenic, and avoids Ensenada. There's a turnoff to Valle- goes left- get a map, you'll want it. I leave up the 3 to Tecate, and on the bike spend about 3 minutes in line. Your passport helps, your driver's license will work in a pinche.

NOTE: EVERY US CITIZEN is supposed to stop at the border and get a stamped FIM (tourist card) regardless of how far or how long you're in Mexico. There are no exceptions. That said, very few people actually stop for it- in fact, I don't know anyone who does, except me. So what's the big deal you might ask?

Nothing, if you don't get stopped or in a crash of some sort. Then it gets interestinger. Some Mexican auto (bike) insurers will use your lack of an FIM to refuse paying the claim. For others, it LE wants to get tough with you, your lack of an FIM is an excellent reason. You're free to proceed however you wish, but that's the law.

You just gave some very good advice that most Baja bound riders do not know about!  Well done!

There are fancy schmancy wineries with $300/night rooms, and there are places where you can rent an uber-cool airstream overnight (permanent site), and more.

I enjoyed the working mans wineries along the 'route'.  No charge for the tastings or the cheese plates.  Just taste away and enjoy the vibe.  Had a blast.  Even bought a $6 bottle or two of suprisingly good 'afternoon drinking wine".  

Wether you want hi-brow, or blue jean wineries, it's all there.

I'm going with wifey and a couple friends during Thanksgiving weekend.  Now that I've made the loop across the border and lived to tell about it, they all think it must be safe enough.  We however are going to grab an uber at the border for a day of heavy wine tasting, throwing caution, responsibility and pesos to the wind.

Please report back on your experience.

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

grab a map from the intertube and begin your journey. or you will hear 100s of opinions of where to go, shooting from the hip on the ruta del vino Ensenada has always worked for us.

we stayed at Quatrro quadros and other spots  and most every winery we went to was fine.

Good idea. I found a couple of good maps.

39 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

Paul Bowers introduced me to Deckman's.  My wife loved it when I took her there.....nice and easy drive/ride from Tecate....the winery in the back is so-so.....Deckman's is all about food not wine......hit a few wineries then eat at Deckman's.....make a reservation or be prepared to wait....

https://deckmans.com/

We'll have to check it out. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

NOTE: EVERY US CITIZEN is supposed to stop at the border and get a stamped FIM (tourist card) regardless of how far or how long you're in Mexico. There are no exceptions. That said, very few people actually stop for it- in fact, I don't know anyone who does, except me. So what's the big deal you might ask?

Nothing, if you don't get stopped or in a crash of some sort. Then it gets interestinger. Some Mexican auto (bike) insurers will use your lack of an FIM to refuse paying the claim. For others, it LE wants to get tough with you, your lack of an FIM is an excellent reason. You're free to proceed however you wish, but that's the law.

Great information. That's very helpful. Do you generally have to call ahead to these places or can you just rock up during business hours?

I've started getting the FMM when I cross nowadays. It adds a few minutes to the crossing but gives me peace of mind.

9 minutes ago, Zubb said:

There are fancy schmancy wineries with $300/night rooms, and there are places where you can rent an uber-cool airstream overnight (permanent site), and more.

I enjoyed the working mans wineries along the 'route'.  No charge for the tastings or the cheese plates.  Just taste away and enjoy the vibe.  Had a blast.  Even bought a $6 bottle or two of suprisingly good 'afternoon drinking wine".  

Wether you want hi-brow, or blue jean wineries, it's all there.

I'm going with wifey and a couple friends during Thanksgiving weekend.  Now that I've made the loop across the border and lived to tell about it, they all think it must be safe enough.  We however are going to grab an uber at the border for a day of heavy wine tasting, throwing caution, responsibility and pesos to the wind.

Please report back on your experience.

We'll probably trend toward the non-schmancy joints. I'm just a working stiff after all. What are the good "working man's" wineries?

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving jaunt.

1 hour ago, WilliamArcher said:

Great information. That's very helpful. Do you generally have to call ahead to these places or can you just rock up during business hours?

I try to call ahead, but never hesitate to drop in. It might mean you don't get the best seat- maybe you sit at the bar or something, but I've never been turned away. Be aware lunch starts at 12:30 or 1.

I can't remember. You'll have to use your google-fu. 

Love Baja.  My GF and I went last year.  Left on a Friday afternoon on my R1200RS.  Had lunch in Puerto Nuevo, stayed in an Airbnb in La Mission next to La Fonda.  Hiked to some falls sat am then rode into Guadalupe Valley stayed at Terra de Valle which is an out of the way little motel w/home made wine, toured and had dinner at Deckmans (only place we made reservations and worth it), then hit the wineries again and stayed Sunday night at Villa Victoria de Valle (I forgot where we had dinnner but it was awesome.  Wanted to stay at Encuentro Guadalupe because of the cool design but at +$300 bones a night decided to just hang out there and stay elsewhere.  Easy ride back out to the North East to Tecate or NW back through TJ.  We had a 4-day weekend so just played with it.  Ended up w/lunch in Julian on Monday then home to Carlsbad.  Whatever you pick (Big or Small) she will love it . The people are awesome and the views are incredible.  Cheers. 

18 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I try to call ahead, but never hesitate to drop in. It might mean you don't get the best seat- maybe you sit at the bar or something, but I've never been turned away. Be aware lunch starts at 12:30 or 1.

I've stopped here with Paul as well.....good eats....."authentic Mexican"

Lisa and I hit Deckman's at noon with no reservation........they don't open until 1pm.......oops........we sipped on some local wine up the hill behind the restaurant while they set up the restaurant.......luckily they were able to seat us at 1pm.......they basically slid us in before the folks with reservations showed up......don't bank on that.......make a reservation.....