Sign in to follow this  
carlos

Montana City Navigator NT Woes

I was in Baja for the first time last weekend. As it turns out, the City Navigator NT turned out to be completely useless: as soon as you go into dirt roads, the Montana pleads the 5th. Even roads like the one from Hanson Lake to La Rumorosa, which a perfectly fine road, not requiring particularly developed skills,  isn't there. Google maps know it! Am I doing something wrong, or should I just buy another map? And, if so, which?

7 minutes ago, carlos said:

I was in Baja for the first time last weekend. As it turns out, the City Navigator NT turned out to be completely useless: as soon as you go into dirt roads, the Montana pleads the 5th. Even roads like the one from Hanson Lake to La Rumorosa, which a perfectly fine road, not requiring particularly developed skills,  isn't there. Google maps know it! Am I doing something wrong, or should I just buy another map? And, if so, which?

Newer versions of City Navigator NT have a surprising amount of detail down in Mex.   What year City Nav are you using?    Are you sure you selected/turned on City Navigator NT?

I'm using the City Navigator North America NT 2018.3 version. City Navigator. See attached.

City Navigator.jpg

Open Menu Screen via the Three Line icon above the X while in and active map.  Set-up Map, Select Map, Enable or Disable available maps. With multiple maps open CN NT will dominate. Gotta disable NT if using Topo 100 for example.

Don't know what is best map for Baja.   Open BaseCamp software on your computer and open your chosen map to explore what is available before you try to use it on the handheld device.

It takes many hours to become familiar with Garmin products.  Good Luck.  It is not you, it is the software!

CN NT is the only map I've got active. The screenshot I sent in the previous mail is from BaseCamp. So, either CN NT does not know the road from Laguna Juarez to Rumorosa (and many others that I've ridden last weekend), or I'm doing something really stupid.

I'm not familiar with CN and Mexico but one thing to be sure of is to set the map detail to the highest setting>

On the Montana in the map screen press the 3 horizontal bar icon. Then 

Setup Map>Advanced Setup>Detail>Most

There is a similar setting in Basecamp as well. If it's set to "Normal" or "Medium" minor roads will disappear very quickly as you zoom out.

Yep, got them both in the highest possible detail. If I try to create a route from Lake Juarez to La Rumorosa, it'll send me through a 247 mile trip.

Lake Juarez to La Rumorosa.jpg