Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Under cabinet lighting for the garage

Since this group consists of the smartest men and women in San Diego, I figured this is the place to get some solid input. 

I built some garage cabinets recently over my work bench, I'd like to get some low profile lighting now.  I took my old 4 foot long fluorescent shop light and stuck it under there for now, it puts out good light but it's too bulky.  My cabinets are about 2 feet wide with about a 1.5 inch  cavity under each cabinet to set lighting in. 

I got some LED strip lighting from Ebay but it's not very bright....does have some nice color features though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-Waterproof-LED-Strip-light-300-SMD-24-Key-Remote-12V-Supply-Power/252918824333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Maybe there is a better one someone here has used or any other good recommendation.

22 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Turn off the breaker and check with a voltage tester please!

I usually test it like a 9V battery, just put your tongue on it......

Ran a couple of new outlets off of a GFCI circuit in the backyard last weekend.  Was up on a ladder when I grounded out a hot lead to the metal box.  Big pop, smoke and the lights go out.  Mama comes out asking what happened and then asks why I didn't kill the breaker.  What fun is that?  She wasn't too happy with me....

2 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Ran a couple of new outlets off of a GFCI circuit in the backyard last weekend.  Was up on a ladder when I grounded out a hot lead to the metal box.  Big pop, smoke and the lights go out.  Mama comes out asking what happened and then asks why I didn't kill the breaker.  What fun is that?  She wasn't too happy with me....

NOT Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know better.  We run all kinds of power (we build RO trailers) in the office from 12V to 480V three phase.  For some reason when I do 110V stuff at home I just leave the circuit hot and (try to) be careful.  This was stupid (on a couple of counts) and I really do know better.

15 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Albrillo LED Under Cabinet Lighting Dimmable Warm White, 12W 900 Lumens, 3 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ARQY31S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_O45.zb0QEXQSQ

I just installed these in a closet that had no light pretty impressive light 

After checking these out, I got a similar set that comes with 6 one foot long lights.  I will report back on how they work out.

I hate it when the big white sparks jump out! By the way I learned turning off the switch does not kill the power, who'd a thunk.

The light went out =no power, wrong. Live and learn, maybe.

:(

Nice yeah looks like expanded version kit of one i have, looks like good light

31 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Nice yeah looks like expanded version kit of one i have, looks like good light

Exactly, had six lights instead of three but pretty much the same thing.  Looks like I can add as many more as I'd like, so it's expandable and the dimmer feature is cool.  Came with an extra plug that can be hardwired in so I can free up an outlet if I go that direction.  Fits perfectly under my cabinets too,  Thanks for the suggestion.

Its a small thing but if you paint the underside of the cabinets a high gloss white it helps with reflective dispirsal of light and makes the areas a little brighter

just my .02 

i did that to yhe back wall of my garage for that very reason 

7 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Its a small thing but if you paint the underside of the cabinets a high gloss white it helps with reflective dispirsal of light and makes the areas a little brighter

just my .02 

i did that to yhe back wall of my garage for that very reason 

These lights are easy to remove so I just might do that, thanks.