Im getting more into bike camping and want to keep going on.  Ive been under the stars mostly and I bring a tarp, just in case.  Ive been looking at tent options, and eye balling REI.  they have some nice tents that pack up nice and small but are a small fortune.  Any budget deals or ebay gems out there for small pack tents?  Id like it to fit in a small/medium size saddle bag if possible. 

Any recommendations?  Smallest packed size is what Im looking at. 

I got this for the cold rainy moto trips. It's very nice shelter for the price, light and packs well except for the poles. Id say the two big considerations would be poles/ no poles and freestanding or not. Also, a separate rainfly really makes it legit in the rain, one layer tents SUCK in the rain and the condensation... what the hell! 

1074715_primary.jpg

My First choice would be one of these but its just to dang pricey. No poles and fits in a bottle!

NEMO GOGO Elite

nemo-gogo-elite-tent.jpg

Three things that are important to me.  Enough room that I can stash my gear either inside or in a vestibule when it gets nasty, full screen with a removable fly for those amazing clear dry nights and free standing 

20170604_200207.jpg

IMG_3494.JPG

Those little tube tents...nope.  When it pours...your gear is going to be wet unless you have a place to hide it and getting dressed in the morning is a PITA.

I found a outdoor research bivy tent for $60 New in box it was a couple year old model so "discontinued" on eBay couple months ago, it packs down small and is super light weight i would use for one night trips on my 570 but any more ill use my big agnes 1 man or if on 950.

Man, I was cringing at some of the 250 dollar tents, you guys really crushed my dreams with some 500 dollar tent I can stuff in my pocket.  

Cosmo - what tent is in your picture?

i usually have a tarp with me that takes up very little room.  I could sacrifice a vestibule and extra space and if it rains I can store gear under that tarp.  Could also use the tarp to cover a single wall or minimalist tent if I needed to to shield from rain. 

I think the couple things that would drive me to a tent is wind, keep the blowing dirt off me at night.  Cold temps, you can get a few degrees warmer even with a thin wall tent.  And maybe rain, but again, already have a tarp and I don't tend to be out riding/camping many rainy nights.  Last thing would be bugs.  Otherwise, I've been on/under a tarp for years of camping when it came to minimalist camping/backpacking. 

Guess I'm going to have to pay for compact size.   Saddle bag space disappears real fast with bags, ground pad, and tent. 

I have carried rei tents into the arctic, all of the maritimes, and as far south as Guatemala and have never had any problems with them, it burns my ass to pay a lot for a tent also, but after one rainy Alaska trip in a 100 dollar tent soaking me at night I gave up and spent the money. Im heading east in morning and one thing I can say is the smaller the better if your camping in weather under 40.

This is my Big Agnes Fairview 1 single man tent.  I think Kato posted a link to these about two years ago.  There were on sale for $99.00.  Great little tent and has a vestibule for storing gear.  Shop around, you don't have to spend $400 for a tent.

21994260_10212589165336831_154430962497982836_o.jpg

Recommend a sleeping pad the same length as the floor of the tent.  

1 hour ago, Mikey777 said:

This is my Big Agnes Fairview 1 single man tent.  I think Kato posted a link to these about two years ago.  There were on sale for $99.00.  Great little tent and has a vestibule for storing gear.  Shop around, you don't have to spend $400 for a tent.

21994260_10212589165336831_154430962497982836_o.jpg

That's the 1 i use when i don't go crazy light weight bivy,  super comfy for me at 6'2" and keeps you pretty warm 

I have a Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent. It's very similar to the tent my hero, Mikey777, uses. I paid $99 bucks for it and it's worth every cent. I just did a quick google search and found it for $59 here:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-mountaineering-lynx-1-tent-1-person-3-season?CMP_ID=PLA_GOc005BR&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=fe965b8c-6f95-4b05-b416-586c09b2f6aa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmZ3Kh47OsDvbsEijeOCZTEMg75aOJ3cpflJHc60Fe2bMVoi1Xhr7hYaAn2tEALw_wcB

I'd jump on that deal if I was you.

11 hours ago, Oracle said:

I have a Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent. It's very similar to the tent my hero, Mikey777, uses. I paid $99 bucks for it and it's worth every cent. I just did a quick google search and found it for $59 here:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-mountaineering-lynx-1-tent-1-person-3-season?CMP_ID=PLA_GOc005BR&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=fe965b8c-6f95-4b05-b416-586c09b2f6aa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmZ3Kh47OsDvbsEijeOCZTEMg75aOJ3cpflJHc60Fe2bMVoi1Xhr7hYaAn2tEALw_wcB

I'd jump on that deal if I was you.

I have the Alps tent also. The main issue is the pack size. It’s not an issue on the big bikes but on my 500 I usually like to pack pretty small and the Black Diamondis 6” X 9”. The single wall is the trick as you don’t have a separate rain fly. The tent being a 2 man has enough room to bring your gear inside with you. It’s a good mountaineering tent and rated as 4 season. Great water proofing and pretty good ventilation. On clear nights with no wind as long as it’s not real cold I just throw a tarp on the ground and sleep in the open.

CiD

I carry a 4 man tent because I'm a big/fat F&*^ and not very limber.......I like the added room/head space.......the tent size compact is probably ~8" X 22" and about 5lbs.......I don't care about the compacted size/weight, not carrying it on my back......the item I need to find in a small size is a sleeping bag........my synthetic bags are too big......so, not to highjack the thread but.......how about sleeping bag recommendations??......liner or no liner??

13 hours ago, RobATK94 said:

Man, I was cringing at some of the 250 dollar tents, you guys really crushed my dreams with some 500 dollar tent I can stuff in my pocket.  

Cosmo - what tent is in your picture?

i usually have a tarp with me that takes up very little room.  I could sacrifice a vestibule and extra space and if it rains I can store gear under that tarp.  Could also use the tarp to cover a single wall or minimalist tent if I needed to to shield from rain. 

I think the couple things that would drive me to a tent is wind, keep the blowing dirt off me at night.  Cold temps, you can get a few degrees warmer even with a thin wall tent.  And maybe rain, but again, already have a tarp and I don't tend to be out riding/camping many rainy nights.  Last thing would be bugs.  Otherwise, I've been on/under a tarp for years of camping when it came to minimalist camping/backpacking. 

Guess I'm going to have to pay for compact size.   Saddle bag space disappears real fast with bags, ground pad, and tent. 

Yeah, really hard to beat the "usefulness-to-pack-size" of a bigass tarp and a bivy setup. Seems like choosing camping gear is kinda like choosing a motorcycle, always compromised. 

In a tent on a windy night, ear plugs are your best friend. Sucks for security but magical for sleep.

Nice to see all the options out there guys!

Yeah, like Chris, I usually use a larger (2-person) tent so I can 1. Stretch out and be comfortable and 2. Keep my riding/camping gear inside with me. 

It's worth the extra weight to me. 

I currently use the Big Agnes Burn Ridge 2 (among 2-3 others)  

As well, I want a self-standing tent (no anchor lines) and most one-person tents require them. 

hijack away!  I know what room I lose to accommodate a tent will then push over into sleeping bag space. 

To about 50 degrees I have the old green bag and bivy sack from the last gen USMC sleeping system.  the green bag can be condensed pretty well, the bivy I have to fold and roll separate.  It works ok, and can probably gain a couple degrees with a liner.  again, more space.  Far from the smallest option, but its affordable.

Remember in a few years you will be looking for one pound expensive tents. I just got this. Expensive, impractical, not free standing. Poles and pegs are the same weight as the tent. A bit less than 2 pounds complete. I love it!  Gossamer Gear one. 

1015170721_HDR.jpg

Lots of good comments. One thing is for sure. Camping off the bike is amazing, I think we can all agree on that.

Oh oh , another tire....I mean Tent Thread.

Do your research, check out everyone's suggestions above, make your own decision.

I prefer quick setup. I don't like screened top tents, they're only good for warm camping. Vestibule for gear and changing is almost a necessity.

Pick a tent that is strong. Really, you get what you pay for.

I bought a Walrus Rapeede 20 years ago from REI for $200, small, 2 man tent....quick setup, was ideal, lasted 20 years. Unfortunately, they went out of business....there are similar tents on the market.

If you buy a cheap tent, it won't last long and won't be very good if you use it a lot.

No cot. I use an REI 3" thick self inflating mattress, best and most comfortable one I've ever used.

I've been using down bags for years, 20 degree rating. They are better than the synthetics in the long run.

Only a two person tent for on person. Poles need to get attache with hooks , NOT all the way thru pockets. Strong zipper with two slider, than both side can be open. 2 max 3 poles. 

I sleep diagonal in my tent and have all my riding gear on my foot end. Air mat with a small Air travel head rest.

I would not be surprised if the Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent. is the Big Agnes Fairview 1 rebranded.  The footprint, door layout and the fly are very similar.   It is an inexpensive tent, but it is not a "cheapie" tent as far as the quality is concerned.  Very similar quality as the REI Half Dome 2. 

Most of the moto camping I have done has been warmer weather so having the mesh is nice on warm evenings. Plus, you can see the starts at night.  With a fly, you hold in enough heat that you are plenty warm on colder nights. There are lots of tricks for making your tent and bag warmer...(i.e. zipping up your moto jacket and pulling it over your feet, filling some space in your bag with clothing (less air to heat), insulating the floor with clothing).  And...always bring a beanie..