Dan Diego

Traveling with a truck: Suggestions?

Will be going across country with my Tundra. Hauling a bunch of boxes. 

Before I buy either a camper shell or small enclosed trailer, who can tell me what the preferred method of hauling stuff would be?

I'd think that just a shell would be best as its more aerodynamic, but would like to hear from the pros.

Also: I may be looking for an old 6' 5" shell if anyone has one they'll sell. I saw Trophy Hunter's last week and it looked nice!

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_5033.PNG

If security isn't much of a concern I'd say tarp and a cargo net. Lot cheaper than a shell or trailer and has worked fine for me in the past. But if you're worried about your stuff getting stolen, I'd go with the shell if you can find a good deal. Pulling a trailer cross country kind of sucks (gas mileage suffers greatly, finding a parking spot can be tricky at times, and maneuvering in traffic is worse)

Yup, good points. Thanks  

The tarp idea might work, though I'm more concerned about weather than theft. 

Gonna try that first.  

I've pulled trailers for (mostly enclosed) for almost 40 years now.  While trailering can be challenging at times, there really is nothing that beats the security and peace of mind for protection that a trailer affords.  If neither of those are an issue then it will be much easier to use another method!  

And buying a small trailer usually is more cost efficient than renting one for 10 days.

The other part of that is that trailers generally retain their value and I can sell it on the other side. Unsure how camper shells hold up. 

Thanks for your input. 

Or borrowing a trailer from a SDAR member.  I'm sure someone has one to loan, mine isn't enclosed so it's probably not what you're looking for but I am always willing to loan it.

I put a soft shell on my truck and it really comes in handy.  There are two different makers. I went with the BESTOP Supertop over the Softopper. What is nice is these products is that  stuff in the bed is protected from blowing out and weather, but can be folded up if you need to put something large(motorcycle) in the bed of the truck.

21 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Or borrowing a trailer from a SDAR member.  I am always willing to loan it.

Right on, Tom! But this is likely a one-way trip. (More to follow.)

1 minute ago, ADV Bum said:

I put a soft shell on my truck and it really comes in handy.  

That's also being considered. Will definitely look at the one you bought. 

Waterproof or rain-resistant? Have a photo by chance?

I see eBay jobbies going for under $150 and wondered if they were any good. 

Just bring a bottle of bourbon for your travels, everything else will workout, make it an adventure on 4 wheels with Dee, no hurries, stop and camp at some state parks and take a look see.  last I hear bears will not steal you stuff, so you are good!  

Tell Us the Truth;  You just want 10 days off to travel. 

20 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Where u gonna be and when ?

Perhaps we'll cross paths.

South of Tampa, Randy. And I'll send coordinates shortly.

I have a small house, some property and a man cave of a garage out back.

You SDAR-types will always be welcome to drop by en route to Key West. 

If you know the boxes will be level with the top of the bed rails then a tonou cover will work as well but it limits you to that height though they are pretty easy to take on and off when not needed i stored mine on the ceiling of my garage